UNI Athletics Funding

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI Dropping Down?

Postby unipanther99 » September 15th, 2010, 3:06 pm

I merged two threads about UNI's funding issues.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Snaggletooth » September 15th, 2010, 4:43 pm

nm
Last edited by Snaggletooth on September 15th, 2010, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: UNI Athletics Funding

Postby unipanther99 » September 15th, 2010, 9:24 pm

I've moved this thread to the basketball forum. The issue involves UNI's entire athletic program obviously, but Snaggletooth's linked article does reference the basketball team.

Here's hoping we receive good news from the Board of Regents Thursday.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby unipanther99 » September 15th, 2010, 9:56 pm

From the Des Moines Register tonight:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... -athletics

Sums it up pretty well.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Aargh » September 15th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Prez Allen made what might be the most ill-advised statement by a University Prez in several decades.

Trimming ...blah, blah, blah... would mean the university would seriously consider eliminating all sports at UNI because of lost revenue related to the loss of Division I status, Allen said.

That's what athletes considering schools are going to hear and what coaches recruiting against UNI will be repeating.

I understand that it's political posturing, but that statement, particularly when picked up by ESPN, is recruiting poison. When the year in question is 2015, that's going to be a consideration for recruits starting NOW.

Throw in axing the baseball program, and it's easy to paint the picture that UNI is in the process of dropping athletics.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » September 15th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Perhaps, but hopefully the long term status of the program will be resolved tomorrow. If the Board decides to revisit this issue every year, it could definitely become a recruiting issue.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby unipanther99 » September 16th, 2010, 2:11 pm

UNI's proposal to the Board of Regents passed unanimously this afternoon. We have work to be done in fund-raising, but this decision gives the program stability for the foreseeable future.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » September 16th, 2010, 2:38 pm

Aargh wrote:Prez Allen made what might be the most ill-advised statement by a University Prez in several decades.

Trimming ...blah, blah, blah... would mean the university would seriously consider eliminating all sports at UNI because of lost revenue related to the loss of Division I status, Allen said.

That's what athletes considering schools are going to hear and what coaches recruiting against UNI will be repeating.

I understand that it's political posturing, but that statement, particularly when picked up by ESPN, is recruiting poison. When the year in question is 2015, that's going to be a consideration for recruits starting NOW.

Throw in axing the baseball program, and it's easy to paint the picture that UNI is in the process of dropping athletics.

holy overreaction batman.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » September 16th, 2010, 10:52 pm

holy overreaction batman.

Even with the news that the state funding will continue, I don't think I've overreacted.

ESPN ran the piece about "elimination of all athletic programs at UNI". Do you think ESPN is going to run the "state funding for UNI athletics approved" article?

RicardoDelRio predicted that SIU would sink into the abyss once Lowery had to work with his own recruits. That prediction appeared inaccurate until Lowery was actually coaching his own recruits, well those that were left.

I think it's safe to predict that UNI is going to join SIU in "the abyss". The possibility that UNI will discontinue all athletics has been raised by the President of UNI. The fact that it's not happening - at least right now - is going to scare recruits away from UNI.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snapshot9 » September 16th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Exactly, what in the world was he thinking?
Snapshot9
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball