Ben Jacobson, Brian Holt and Nate Funk on the show tonight!

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Jaysfan#1 » September 13th, 2010, 8:27 am

on the show tonight, our valley preview continues with the Northern Iowa Panthers and we will be joined by Head Coach Ben Jacobson. Also, we will have on current Jays Goalie Brian Holt and former Bluejay great Nate Funk See you at 5pm! www.bluejaybanter.com
Jaysfan#1
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ben Jacobson, Brian Holt and Nate Funk on the show tonig

Postby Ricardo del Rio » September 13th, 2010, 10:16 am

Nate Funk. So tough.

I loved his spin move in the paint.

He was one tough customer.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jaysfan#1 » September 13th, 2010, 10:18 am

He had one of the smoothest jump shots ever
Jaysfan#1
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby bigdawg » September 13th, 2010, 10:35 am

I'm iffy on Funk. He played tougher than he looked, but isn't his legacy the inability to hit game winning shots in NCAA games against WVU and Nevada?
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jaysfan#1 » September 13th, 2010, 11:57 am

bigdawg wrote:I'm iffy on Funk. He played tougher than he looked, but isn't his legacy the inability to hit game winning shots in NCAA games against WVU and Nevada?

IMO, I've always been a big fan of Funk. The most frustrating thing was the end of close games under Dana Altman, especially when Funk was there. Dana would never call a timeout to set up a play because he believed it gave the defense a chance to set up their defense. But Altman's play at the end of the game was have Nate dribble the ball until the clock ran out and force up a jumper, it was really frustrating. Yes he was their best player but you can at least try to run a play since basketball is a team sport!
Jaysfan#1
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby cu8493 » September 13th, 2010, 1:10 pm

You have hit probably the signle most frustrating aspect of Dana's game for this long time fan. At least Nate had a chance to make the shot. When he put the ball in Josh Dotzler's hands at the end of games, you might as well head for the doors. I loved Josh, except when we had the ball down a bucket in the closing seconds of a game.
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jaysfan#1 » September 13th, 2010, 1:32 pm

cu8493 wrote:You have hit probably the signle most frustrating aspect of Dana's game for this long time fan. At least Nate had a chance to make the shot. When he put the ball in Josh Dotzler's hands at the end of games, you might as well head for the doors. I loved Josh, except when we had the ball down a bucket in the closing seconds of a game.

It is frustrating because that is the way it would always be! McKinney, Mathies, Funk, Dotzler, Stinnett and Young. End of the game they all just held the ball and tried to take their man one on one and it worked about 10% of the time!
Jaysfan#1
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Little Eddie » September 14th, 2010, 6:18 am

I'll go ahead and defend Dana on this...I think you go with who got you where you are on last second plays. I know for a fact that on many of these plays Nate or whoever it was, would get basically raped on the way to the basket but no calls were made...I've seen video of a couple of the plays and they are bad no calls.

One would say you can't rely on calls from the ref late in the game...but a foul is a foul no matter how you slice it. At the very least Nate should have been shooting freethrows w/ a chance to win or tie the game...
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Jaysfan#1 » September 14th, 2010, 7:17 am

Our podcast is up on our Facebook page for all to listen to. www.bluejaybanter.com
Jaysfan#1
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby snoopj » September 14th, 2010, 8:48 am

Nice interview with Coach Jacobson.
University of Northern Iowa Class of 2000....however, an overall fan of the Missouri Valley Conference.
snoopj
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball