Missouri Valley - Mountain West Challenge to end?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri Valley - Mountain West Challenge to end?

Postby RoyalShock » October 27th, 2011, 9:48 am

I think the question should be, is the MVC a better conference now, or would CUSA be a better conference with two of WSU, MSU or CU added?

I contend the latter is superior. And let's be honest, the MVC is not going to draw Memphis, Tulsa, UAB or UTEP from CUSA. Now if Memphis were to go elsewhere or the MVC could somehow pull in Butler and Dayton, that significantly alters the equation.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SubGod22 » October 27th, 2011, 9:59 am

RoyalShock wrote:I think the question should be, is the MVC a better conference now, or would CUSA be a better conference with two of WSU, MSU or CU added?

I contend the latter is superior. And let's be honest, the MVC is not going to draw Memphis, Tulsa, UAB or UTEP from CUSA. Now if Memphis were to go elsewhere or the MVC could somehow pull in Butler and Dayton, that significantly alters the equation.

I agree. As it stands, Memphis hasn't really been talked about in all this conference chaos. And the Valley isn't bringing in any top teams to the conference. I really don't see us, right now anyway, getting anyone from the A10 or Butler. CUSA all play football and I don't see them seperating their other sports. They don't need to.

If you take any of the two you mentioned and add them to CUSA, there is no doubt in my mind that CUSA is definitely better than the MVC. If CUSA does get serious about adding non-football schools, I think they could pretty easily get at least one of those three. Again, assuming Memphis stays out of the moving game. WSU/CU/MSU and Memphis, Tulsa, UAB and UTEP make for a pretty solid group. If Houston stays you could add them to that group. Southern Miss is improving. If an offer came, it'd be strongly considered by any school.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » October 27th, 2011, 12:16 pm

SubGod22 wrote:I was a bit wrong. They've had one more bid in the last five years than we have but have 7 more shares of tournament money than we do. Like I said, it'd be a lateral move, but CUSA is higher profile in the media and that would play into recruiting. And if two of the top 4 or so teams from the Valley left for CUSA, I believe CUSA would then be better than the MVC. Assuming Memphis stays put.

CUSA is not higher profile. It used to be when they had Marquette and Louisville, but not anymore.

How often do you see (non memphis) CUSA games on TV?
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » October 27th, 2011, 12:45 pm

valleychamp wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:I was a bit wrong. They've had one more bid in the last five years than we have but have 7 more shares of tournament money than we do. Like I said, it'd be a lateral move, but CUSA is higher profile in the media and that would play into recruiting. And if two of the top 4 or so teams from the Valley left for CUSA, I believe CUSA would then be better than the MVC. Assuming Memphis stays put.

CUSA is not higher profile. It used to be when they had Marquette and Louisville, but not anymore.

How often do you see (non memphis) CUSA games on TV?

They are on CBS sports Network all the time. :)
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » October 27th, 2011, 3:01 pm

I put the 2011-12 CUSA TV schedule below.

They get 10 games on the ESPN family of networks and 3 on CBS. Those 13 are predominantly Memphis. Most of their TV games are on CBS and Fox Sports Network. I would say their TV package, in terms of exposure, is still better than the new MVC deal with ESPN/Fox.

Remove two of WSU/CU/MSU from the MVC and put them in CUSA and see what happens to the next TV deal for each conference. Unless Elgin somehow pulled a coup and got two high-profile schools to join, I doubt they would even be comparable.

http://conferenceusa.cstv.com/sports/m- ... 11aab.html

CBS
Saturday, December 17 Memphis at Louisville 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 3 Memphis at Tulsa Noon
Saturday, March 10 C-USA Championship Final 11:30 a.m.

CBS SPORTS NETWORK (CBSSN)
Saturday, November 26 Rice vs. Iowa State (South Padre Invitational) 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, November 29 LSU at Houston 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, December 3 Georgia Tech at Tulane 2:00 p.m.
Saturday, December 3 Arizona State at Tulsa 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, December 31 Tulsa at TCU 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 4 UTEP at Marshall 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 7 Memphis at UAB 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 14 Memphis at Houston 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 18 Memphis at UCF 8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 25 UCF at Tulsa 8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 1 Memphis at Southern Miss 8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 8 Tulsa at UTEP 8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 22 East Carolina at Memphis 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 25 UTEP at UCF 8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 29 Tulsa at UAB 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, March 8 C-USA Championship Quarterfinal 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, March 8 C-USA Championship Quarterfinal 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, March 8 C-USA Championship Quarterfinal 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, March 8 C-USA Championship Quarterfinal 10:00 p.m.
Friday, March 9 C-USA Championship Semifinal 4:00 p.m.
Friday, March 9 C-USA Championship Semifinal 6:30 p.m.

FOX SPORTS NETWORKS (FSN)
Saturday, December 17 Mississippi at Southern Miss 4:30 p.m.
Monday, December 19 Southern Miss at Arizona State 10:00 p.m.
Tuesday, January 3 UAB at Florida 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, January 3 SMU at Mississippi 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 4 Tennessee at Memphis 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 14 UAB at Southern Miss 2:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 21 UCF at UAB 2:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 28 Tulsa at SMU 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 4 Xavier at Memphis 1:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 8 Rice at Houston 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 18 UTEP at Memphis 1:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 25 Memphis at Marshall 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 3 Wild Card Game 2:00 p.m.

ESPN
Tuesday, November 15 Belmont at Memphis Noon

ESPN2
Monday, November 21 Memphis vs. Michigan (EA Sports Maui Invitational) 3:00 p.m.
Tuesday, December 6 Memphis at Miami 9:00 p.m.
Thursday, December 22 Memphis at Georgetown 7:00 p.m.

ESPNU
Saturday, December 17 Houston vs. Oklahoma (All-College Basketball Classic) 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, December 22 UTEP vs. Clemson (Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic) 7:00 p.m.
Friday, December 23 UTEP at Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic TBD
Wednesday, December 28 SMU vs. Oklahoma State 6:30 p.m.

ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU
Tuesday, November 22 Memphis at EA Sports Maui Invitational TBD
Wednesday, November 23 Memphis at EA Sports Maui Invitational TBD

COMCAST/CHARTER SPORTS SOUTHEAST (CSS)
Saturday, December 3 Austin Peay at Memphis 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, December 10 UTSA at Houston 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, December 11 Murray State at Memphis 6:00 p.m.
Monday, December 19 Temple at Rice 9:00 p.m.
Thursday, December 29 Robert Morris at Memphis 7:00 p.m.
Friday, December 30 Texas State at Houston 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, December 31 Charlotte at Memphis 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 11 Southern Miss at Memphis 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 21 Marshall at Southern Miss 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 25 UAB at Marshall 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 28 Marshall at Memphis 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 1 Houston at UAB 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 8 Memphis at East Carolina 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 11 UAB at Memphis 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 18 Southern Miss at Houston 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 22 UCF at Rice 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 25 Rice at Southern Miss 8:00 p.m.
Tuesday, February 28 UCF at Memphis 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 3 Houston at Rice 8:00 p.m.

BRIGHT HOUSE SPORTS NETWORK (BHSN)
Saturday, December 10 Bethune Cookman at UCF 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 4 Tulane at UCF 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 11 Houston at UCF 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 28 Southern Miss at UCF 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, February 8 Marshall at UCF 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 18 East Carolina at UCF 7:00 p.m.

COX SPORTS TELEVISION (CST)
Saturday, February 25 Tulsa at Tulane 8:00 p.m.

LONGHORN NETWORK (LHN)
Saturday, December 31 Rice at Texas 2:00 p.m.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Khan4Cats » October 27th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Conference USA has more visibility and a better reputation because they have more schools in larger metro (TV) viewing and media coverage areas. Tulsa, Memphis, Houston, Birmingham, Dallas, New Orleans are bigger media draws than Cedar Falls, Carbondale, Terre Haute, even Des Moines, which I think is actually the MVC's largest media market. The CUSA schools may not be number 1 in their cities, but there is enough interest and accessibility for the media to pay attention to them.

The only chance we have to lure a CUSA school is if the Big East poaches them for football only. Then they are in a situation where the NCAA does not allow schools to have all of their sports in a conference that offers FBS football if their football is not in an FBS conference. It's why Air Force has been looking at the MVC with the Big East courting them.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby gtmoBlue » November 27th, 2011, 11:29 am

Recent play of both MVC and MWC teams, events such as Top 25 upsets, and media interest have increased the profile of this upcoming MVC/MWC Challenge. Notably improved play by the Valley and big upsets by SDSU and UNLV provide impetus for possible increased media TV coverages, national fan interest, an writer's bylines.

The UNLV @ WSU game in particular will be of increased media notice. And the Shocks really NEED to win this game, if they have any hopes of an at-large bid in March.

The Jays v Aztecs tilt in San Diego should prove to be a good W for the Jays and re-establish the Creighton brand in their old recruiting grounds.

I expect both ISU's, UNI, Mo St., and Evansville to win their contests as well. This year's Challenge should prove a boon the the resurging MVC's SOS, RPI, and reputation. Winning this challenge will go far in changing the perceptions of both the media and the college hoops public. ;)
When in doubt...Be Bold!
gtmoBlue
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Khan4Cats » November 27th, 2011, 11:37 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Recent play of both MVC and MWC teams, events such as Top 25 upsets, and media interest have increased the profile of this upcoming MVC/MWC Challenge. Notably improved play by the Valley and big upsets by SDSU and UNLV provide impetus for possible increased media TV coverages, national fan interest, an writer's bylines.

The UNLV @ WSU game in particular will be of increased media notice. And the Shocks really NEED to win this game, if they have any hopes of an at-large bid in March.

The Jays v Aztecs tilt in San Diego should prove to be a good W for the Jays and re-establish the Creighton brand in their old recruiting grounds.

I expect both ISU's, UNI, Mo St., and Evansville to win their contests as well. This year's Challenge should prove a boon the the resurging MVC's SOS, RPI, and reputation. Winning this challenge will go far in changing the perceptions of both the media and the college hoops public. ;)

Agree
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » November 27th, 2011, 4:45 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Recent play of both MVC and MWC teams, events such as Top 25 upsets, and media interest have increased the profile of this upcoming MVC/MWC Challenge. Notably improved play by the Valley and big upsets by SDSU and UNLV provide impetus for possible increased media TV coverages, national fan interest, an writer's bylines.

We don't play in the challenge this year, but our first game of the year was at Fresno St. which was an unofficial part of the challenge since they will be joining the mountain west next year. I think we did this as a favor and will be receiving a guaranteed home game for next seasons challenge.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocker3 » November 27th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:Conference USA has more visibility and a better reputation because they have more schools in larger metro (TV) viewing and media coverage areas. Tulsa, Memphis, Houston, Birmingham, Dallas, New Orleans are bigger media draws than Cedar Falls, Carbondale, Terre Haute, even Des Moines, which I think is actually the MVC's largest media market. The CUSA schools may not be number 1 in their cities, but there is enough interest and accessibility for the media to pay attention to them.

The only chance we have to lure a CUSA school is if the Big East poaches them for football only. Then they are in a situation where the NCAA does not allow schools to have all of their sports in a conference that offers FBS football if their football is not in an FBS conference. It's why Air Force has been looking at the MVC with the Big East courting them.

Actually Wichita is the largest TV market in the Valley, but your point is well taken. All of our media markets are smaller than most of the markets in CUSA (although many of their schools arent that big in their own markets including UH in Houston -#10 market).

There are 210 TV markets in the USA. These are the Valley markets: Wichita #69, Des Moines #71, Springfield- #74, Omaha- #76, Paducah-Harrisburg-Carbondale #78, Cedar Rapids-Quad Cities- #88, Evansville #102, Peoria-Normal-Bloomington- #116 and Terre Haute #152.

While the top 5 Valley TV markets are very close together (69 to 78), Terre Haute is by far the smallest.

Source: http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball