Who should the Shockers fear in Puerto Rico?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who should the Shockers fear in Puerto Rico?

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 14th, 2011, 2:46 pm

2livewu wrote:Let's also call a spade a spade. The monumental whipping of Nevada aside, WSU beating Alabama, the 15th ranked team in the country, would likely be seen as the best out of conference win in the Valley this season.

Agreed?

It is too early to make any call on the best nonconference win. Frankly, we don't know how good anybody really is yet. Alabama might be ranked in the top 20 now, but polls this early are unreliable. We'll have to wait until later in the season to make that call.

I also think I'd wait until actually beating Alabama before worrying about it...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 2livewu » November 14th, 2011, 3:54 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:It is too early to make any call on the best nonconference win. Frankly, we don't know how good anybody really is yet. Alabama might be ranked in the top 20 now, but polls this early are unreliable. We'll have to wait until later in the season to make that call.

I also think I'd wait until actually beating Alabama before worrying about it...

I'm only thinking about because someone else mentioned it, and I can promise you I am not worrying about it. WSU isn't ranked, isn't getting votes, and has Colorado to worry about.....I don't know anyone that is thinking about beating Alabama (I'm not saying there aren't WSU fans that are, I just don't know any that care as of today). I was merely offering a counter to someone that seemed to be stating that WSU might be looked at in a negative fashion if they lost to Alabama (if they even play Alabama). All my point was that according to most fans and the vast majority of the nation (basketball related), WSU isn't close at all to Alabama and IF they were to play, and IF WSU were to win (by some miracle) then it would be a huge win, and in all probability the biggest OOC win in the Valley.

Yes Evansville beating UNC would be much, much bigger.....I just don't give that too much of a chance. Not that I give WSU much of a chance either though.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jet915 » November 14th, 2011, 4:04 pm

WSU might not win the tourney but I would probably be disappointed if they didn't go 2-1.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » November 14th, 2011, 4:07 pm

And beating Bama won't take a miracle. It'll be a tough game, but a miracle it is not.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » November 14th, 2011, 5:20 pm

2livewu wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:If I was Wichita most every team in that field would worry me. There are a heck of a lot of good coaches in that field. Turgeon, Grant, Dunphy, Boyle, and Painter in particular. I would be very surprised if the Shockers made it to the final. Wouldn't shock me if they went 1-2 but they have enough talent to go 2-1 themselves.

The field is strong enough for WSU to go 0-3 but I would like to think the Valley is strong enough to at least have us favored over Western Michigan, but we all know Gregg is way in over his head with these coaches, so you may be spot on.

Let's also call a spade a spade. The monumental whipping of Nevada aside, WSU beating Alabama, the 15th ranked team in the country, would likely be seen as the best out of conference win in the Valley this season.

Agreed?

Just curious Casey, but since you are MSU, if MSU and WSU switched places, would most every team worry you, or only, potentially, Alabama and perhaps Purdue?

Sarcasm aside I agree with you. MSU's beatdown of Nevada was a nice win but if WSU beats Alabama that's bigger. And all Valley fans should be hoping it happens.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Pinkie » November 14th, 2011, 6:42 pm

I'd fear overconfidence.
Pinkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WSUbballer » November 14th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Pinkie wrote:I'd fear overconfidence.

Overconfidence by who?

I don't think one fan has said WSU is gonna win this thing or is even remotely close to being the favorite. I think most have been pretty realistic.

And besides, overconfident fans have no bearing on the players playing the basketball game. As far as I know, the team is not overconfident. If you can find some evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.

The players were geared in and had the full attention of Charleston Southern. Charleston Southern. Charleston Southern at home.

Overconfident? Nice reach.

As for me, a loss to Colorado would be a HUGE disappointment. That needs to be a win. After that, I'm well aware of Alabama's horses. That would be a tough get and we would be big dogs in that one. Temple or Purdue would be doable and we'd really need to have that one to make this a successful trip. Otherwise, we would be staring at last year's resume, dead on.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » November 14th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Jet915 wrote:WSU might not win the tourney but I would probably be disappointed if they didn't go 2-1.

There is 1 top 15 team (and there will be 2 next week when Temple moves in to the Top 25) and another getting around 30th place votes.

Why is it a disappointment if WSU goes 1-2, losing to 2 top 30 type teams. Do you think they are a top 20 type team that should win those games?
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jet915 » November 14th, 2011, 9:18 pm

2livewu wrote:
Jet915 wrote:WSU might not win the tourney but I would probably be disappointed if they didn't go 2-1.

There is 1 top 15 team (and there will be 2 next week when Temple moves in to the Top 25) and another getting around 30th place votes.

Why is it a disappointment if WSU goes 1-2, losing to 2 top 30 type teams. Do you think they are a top 20 type team that should win those games?

Well.........if you want to be an at-large team, beating a seemingly crappy Colorado team and losing to Alabama and fellow bubble teams like Temple (which barely beat UPENN today in OT) or Purdue (which barely beat High Point today) would not look really good on your resume.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » November 15th, 2011, 7:31 am

2livewu wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:If I was Wichita most every team in that field would worry me. There are a heck of a lot of good coaches in that field. Turgeon, Grant, Dunphy, Boyle, and Painter in particular. I would be very surprised if the Shockers made it to the final. Wouldn't shock me if they went 1-2 but they have enough talent to go 2-1 themselves.

The field is strong enough for WSU to go 0-3 but I would like to think the Valley is strong enough to at least have us favored over Western Michigan, but we all know Gregg is way in over his head with these coaches, so you may be spot on.

Let's also call a spade a spade. The monumental whipping of Nevada aside, WSU beating Alabama, the 15th ranked team in the country, would likely be seen as the best out of conference win in the Valley this season.

Agreed?

Just curious Casey, but since you are MSU, if MSU and WSU switched places, would most every team worry you, or only, potentially, Alabama and perhaps Purdue?

Yes WSU beating Bama would be huge. I can't disagree with that.

Gregg is a winner but not a champion like a lot of those other coaches. That is the difference.

If MSU was in this field I would fear no one. I would respect everybody. Bama has some tremendous athletes so that would be tough but I'd love to play Purdue because Lusk would know everything and he is already really bright since he has his masters degree.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball