FTQ's Power Rankings

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

FTQ's Power Rankings

Postby FeartheQ » November 15th, 2011, 12:39 am

Fear the Q's Power Rankings

1. Creighton 2-0 - haven't played anyone yet, but doing what they should against an inferior opponent. Wednesday should show us how they fare on the road.
2. Wichita St. 1-0 - See above. The Puerto Rico tourney could be a huge determining factor on how the Valley looks at the end of the season.
3. Northern Iowa 1-0 - Impressive win @ ODU. Is ODU for real this year though? Big matchup against St. Mary's.
4. Missouri State 1-0 - Good road win @ Nevada, will the newcomers continue to improve?
5. Indiana St 2-0 - Not an impressive showing against some inferior teams, but seems to be improving.
6. Evansville 1-0 - Protects the home court against Butler. Is Butler still solid or will they show a lot of vulnerability this year?
7. Bradley 1-0 - Will the return of Taylor Brown be cause for concern for the Valley?
8. Drake 1-0 - This next week should tell us a lot about the Bulldogs (Iowa St & Mississippi)
9. Illinois State 0-1 - scheduling a terrible non-conference schedule only works if you are blowing out the competition, and are BCS. ISU is neither.
10. Southern Illinois 0-1 - D-2 loss, no comment

*Updated Monday Nights
Last edited by FeartheQ on November 15th, 2011, 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

FTQ's Power Rankings

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: FTQ's Power Rankings Week 1

Postby 2livewu » November 15th, 2011, 6:56 am

How many power rankings do we need?

1. They'll be fine. It's possible that Creighton could play for 10 minutes and leave the court to shower, and UNI couldn't score enough in the left behind empty gym to catch up.
2. Probably find out if WSU is good or just potentially good after this week. Hopefully 1 game doesn't define their season, as it did last season. KState needed a borderline miracle to beat a team WSU had down 42.
3. (Ignoring last night) Still one of the better coached teams around. ODU isn't that good though.
4. Deserves to be 1 or 2, based on performance.
5. Missing some pieces but winning against terrible teams. They better find a way to get some depth, fast. Odum is good, but 32+ minutes every game just to win is unlikely to be a recipe for a great record.
6. Solid win. Going to be tough to replicate against teams with a post presence. The Aces still play harder than 99% of the teams out there. Painful to watch 2.
7. Perhaps the most likely of the bottom 4 to avoid the play in round.
8. Thank Iowa for Upper Iowa.
9. Thank Illinois for SIU
10. UFB
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » November 15th, 2011, 10:21 am

The big question is whether SIU can go wire to wire in 10th.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » November 15th, 2011, 10:02 pm

2livewu wrote:How many power rankings do we need?

1. They'll be fine. It's possible that Creighton could play for 10 minutes and leave the court to shower, and UNI couldn't score enough in the left behind empty gym to catch up.
2. Probably find out if WSU is good or just potentially good after this week. Hopefully 1 game doesn't define their season, as it did last season. KState needed a borderline miracle to beat a team WSU had down 42.
3. (Ignoring last night) Still one of the better coached teams around. ODU isn't that good though.
4. Deserves to be 1 or 2, based on performance.
5. Missing some pieces but winning against terrible teams. They better find a way to get some depth, fast. Odum is good, but 32+ minutes every game just to win is unlikely to be a recipe for a great record.
6. Solid win. Going to be tough to replicate against teams with a post presence. The Aces still play harder than 99% of the teams out there. Painful to watch 2.
7. Perhaps the most likely of the bottom 4 to avoid the play in round.
8. Thank Iowa for Upper Iowa.
9. Thank Illinois for SIU
10. UFB

:+1: Not bad
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: FTQ's Power Rankings

Postby FeartheQ » November 21st, 2011, 5:53 pm

FTQ Week 2 Rankings

1. Creighton 4-0 - Clearly the best team thus far.
2. Missouri State 3-0 - We will know more about the "wildcard factor" in the next 4 games. 2 different players have won newcomer of the week so far, good indication for the Bears.
3. Wichita St. 2-2 - their tourney showing will not be on the resume, need a strong rebound from Sunday.
4. Northern Iowa 2-1 - Will put at 4. Lets see how their 3 games go this week.
5. Indiana St 3-0 - Winning closer than they would like, big week for the Sycamores.
6. Evansville 2-1 - Need more data to place this team.
7. Bradley 3-0 - Friday's matchup should show us if Bradley can play competitive with the big boys.
8. Drake 3-2 - A lot of close games, looks like they will be in a lot of games.
9. Illinois State 2-1 - won some home cupcake games, their toughest non-conference game is this week against Rutgers.
10. Southern Illinois 0-3 - Easier to guarantee SIU at 10 than Creighton at 1 at this moment.

Updated Monday nights
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby FeartheQ » November 28th, 2011, 9:28 am

FTQ Week 3 Rankings
TIER 1
1. Creighton 5-0 - Aztecs will put the heat on the Jays. Huge game for the league.
TIER 2
2. Missouri State 4-0 - Tough week for the Bears (@OR and @NM). We will see their legitimacy this week.
3. Wichita St. 3-2 - Most are looking to Sunday where the Shockers will get a ranked team on their home court and avenge some of their tourney losses.
4. Northern Iowa 5-1 - UNI beating the teams they should, Wednesday brings an interesting challenge.
5. Indiana St 6-1 - Giving up a 25 point lead in the 2nd half to win by 6? They play portions of brilliance, but they cannot get that complete 40 minute game.
TIER 3
6. Drake 4-2 - Scrappy team that seems to have a shot at winning in every game.
7. Illinois State 4-2 - Done with toughest part of non-con. Should win out going into MVC play (not saying much).
8. Evansville 2-2 - Unacceptable loss last week, have not been very impressive.
9. Bradley 3-3 - Losing to Wofford sticks out the most, obviously.
TIER 4
10. Southern Illinois 1-3 - SIU picking up their first win this week shows hope that they will not be the worst team in D-1 this year.

Updated Mondays
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » November 28th, 2011, 12:04 pm

FeartheQ wrote:FTQ Week 3 Rankings
TIER 1
1. Creighton 5-0 - Aztecs will put the heat on the Jays. Huge game for the league.
TIER 2
2. Missouri State 4-0 - Tough week for the Bears (@OR and @NM). We will see their legitimacy this week.
3. Wichita St. 3-2 - Most are looking to Sunday where the Shockers will get a ranked team on their home court and avenge some of their tourney losses.
4. Northern Iowa 5-1 - UNI beating the teams they should, Wednesday brings an interesting challenge.
5. Indiana St 6-1 - Giving up a 25 point lead in the 2nd half to win by 6? They play portions of brilliance, but they cannot get that complete 40 minute game.
TIER 3
7. Illinois State 4-2 - Done with toughest part of non-con. Should win out going into MVC play (not saying much).
TIER 4
10. Southern Illinois 1-3 - SIU picking up their first win this week shows hope that they will not be the worst team in D-1 this year.

Updated Mondays

I more or less agree with the rankings. You did a good job with them. I don't know about the tiers. Creighton is tear one more or less because of the name of their coach and the fact that Dougie Fresh dropped a lot of points on slow footed Europeans in Latvia this summer. I don't think there is a gap between Missouri State and them right now.

Looking just at Missouri State right now, I don't really think this week is that big of a measuring stick. Playing Oklahoma State and in that torunament later will be the real tests. ORU is mostly garbage. They had a good team in 2006 or so and got lucky and beat Kansas at AFH. Sutton got a lot of acclaim for that flukish win and that has carried over into this image of them being better than they actually are. They are okay, but remind me of the last time they beat someone that was really relevant. You'd have to go back to roughly 2006 I'd guess.

New Mexico seems average to. Tough to win at the Pit but Alford's team is a less talented version of his usual retreads, rejects, and what is a nice one of saying unsavory peoples? I mean that with respect but it is largely true. They are capable of beating us on a given night but that would speak more to us playing sloppy and wearing a bullseye than anything. This week is big for us, but mostly just in that hopefully we can avoid slipping instead of it really being us facing superior competition.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » November 28th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Wish we had a better schedule to prove that we are much better than a 7th place team this year. I can't blame you for it though. I do think we are going to be a sneaky team this year much like Evansville was last season.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » November 28th, 2011, 12:11 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
TIER 1
TIER 2
TIER 3
TIER 4

Updated Mondays

I more or less agree with the rankings. You did a good job with them. I don't know about the tiers. Creighton is tear one more or less because of the name of their coach and the fact that Dougie Fresh dropped a lot of points on slow footed Europeans in Latvia this summer. I don't think there is a gap between Missouri State and them right now.

Looking just at Missouri State right now, I don't really think this week is that big of a measuring stick. Playing Oklahoma State and in that torunament later will be the real tests. ORU is mostly garbage. They had a good team in 2006 or so and got lucky and beat Kansas at AFH. Sutton got a lot of acclaim for that flukish win and that has carried over into this image of them being better than they actually are. They are okay, but remind me of the last time they beat someone that was really relevant. You'd have to go back to roughly 2006 I'd guess.

New Mexico seems average to. Tough to win at the Pit but Alford's team is a less talented version of his usual retreads, rejects, and what is a nice one of saying unsavory peoples? I mean that with respect but it is largely true. They are capable of beating us on a given night but that would speak more to us playing sloppy and wearing a bullseye than anything. This week is big for us, but mostly just in that hopefully we can avoid slipping instead of it really being us facing superior competition.

:Bam:
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaliJay » November 28th, 2011, 12:22 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
TIER 1
TIER 2
TIER 3
TIER 4

Updated Mondays

:Bam:

+1
CaliJay
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball