FTQ's Power Rankings

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: FTQ's Power Rankings

Postby Chuck » November 28th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Just two years ago Oral Roberts beat Stanford and number 12 ranked New Mexico.
From the desk of Charles Bartowski
Chuck
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » November 28th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Chuck wrote:Just two years ago Oral Roberts beat Stanford and number 12 ranked New Mexico.

I checked and you are correct. Suprising. Good catch.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » November 28th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Their average RPI over the past 8 years is just a little over 100. It's a solid program that is consistently in the top 150. Sutton does a pretty darn good job down there considering what he's working with.

Also, two years ago when the beat Stanford (not a great year for the Cardinals, RPI 163) they knocked off Mizzou (RPI 44) and New Mexico (RPI 10) and IUPUI (RPI 83). Also lost a number of close games to top 100 RPI teams. Like I said, a solid program capable of hanging around and defeating a number of quality teams.

Last year they lost by 5 to ISUb (84) and won 19 games. Not saying SWOMO shouldn't beat them, and couldn't beat them easily given the right conditions, but they're far from a program to just look past as an easy W.

Realtime's projection actually has ORU beating the Bears 70-69.

They're not the test that OSU will be, but it's not Emporia State either.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » November 28th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Oral Roberts will be tough. Bell-Holter is a stud. They rarely lose home games.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby 2livewu » November 28th, 2011, 1:59 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
FeartheQ wrote:FTQ Week 3 Rankings
TIER 1
1. Creighton 5-0 - Aztecs will put the heat on the Jays. Huge game for the league.
TIER 2
2. Missouri State 4-0 - Tough week for the Bears (@OR and @NM). We will see their legitimacy this week.
3. Wichita St. 3-2 - Most are looking to Sunday where the Shockers will get a ranked team on their home court and avenge some of their tourney losses.
4. Northern Iowa 5-1 - UNI beating the teams they should, Wednesday brings an interesting challenge.
5. Indiana St 6-1 - Giving up a 25 point lead in the 2nd half to win by 6? They play portions of brilliance, but they cannot get that complete 40 minute game.
TIER 3
6. Drake 4-2 - Scrappy team that seems to have a shot at winning in every game.
7. Illinois State 4-2 - Done with toughest part of non-con. Should win out going into MVC play (not saying much).
8. Evansville 2-2 - Unacceptable loss last week, have not been very impressive.
9. Bradley 3-3 - Losing to Wofford sticks out the most, obviously.
TIER 4
10. Southern Illinois 1-3 - SIU picking up their first win this week shows hope that they will not be the worst team in D-1 this year.

Updated Mondays

I more or less agree with the rankings. You did a good job with them. I don't know about the tiers. Creighton is tear one more or less because of the name of their coach and the fact that Dougie Fresh dropped a lot of points on slow footed Europeans in Latvia this summer. I don't think there is a gap between Missouri State and them right now.

Looking just at Missouri State right now, I don't really think this week is that big of a measuring stick. Playing Oklahoma State and in that torunament later will be the real tests. ORU is mostly garbage. They had a good team in 2006 or so and got lucky and beat Kansas at AFH. Sutton got a lot of acclaim for that flukish win and that has carried over into this image of them being better than they actually are. They are okay, but remind me of the last time they beat someone that was really relevant. You'd have to go back to roughly 2006 I'd guess.

New Mexico seems average to. Tough to win at the Pit but Alford's team is a less talented version of his usual retreads, rejects, and what is a nice one of saying unsavory peoples? I mean that with respect but it is largely true. They are capable of beating us on a given night but that would speak more to us playing sloppy and wearing a bullseye than anything. This week is big for us, but mostly just in that hopefully we can avoid slipping instead of it really being us facing superior competition.

I'm am starting to believe that your entire persona is 100% fake. Even a mentally handicapped person is going to be on target and reasonable more often than you. I'll give you a little credit in that your humor (if that's what it is) has a unique slant to it.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jays26 » November 28th, 2011, 2:02 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
FeartheQ wrote:FTQ Week 3 Rankings
TIER 1
1. Creighton 5-0 - Aztecs will put the heat on the Jays. Huge game for the league.
TIER 2
2. Missouri State 4-0 - Tough week for the Bears (@OR and @NM). We will see their legitimacy this week.
3. Wichita St. 3-2 - Most are looking to Sunday where the Shockers will get a ranked team on their home court and avenge some of their tourney losses.
4. Northern Iowa 5-1 - UNI beating the teams they should, Wednesday brings an interesting challenge.
5. Indiana St 6-1 - Giving up a 25 point lead in the 2nd half to win by 6? They play portions of brilliance, but they cannot get that complete 40 minute game.
TIER 3
6. Drake 4-2 - Scrappy team that seems to have a shot at winning in every game.
7. Illinois State 4-2 - Done with toughest part of non-con. Should win out going into MVC play (not saying much).
8. Evansville 2-2 - Unacceptable loss last week, have not been very impressive.
9. Bradley 3-3 - Losing to Wofford sticks out the most, obviously.
TIER 4
10. Southern Illinois 1-3 - SIU picking up their first win this week shows hope that they will not be the worst team in D-1 this year.

Updated Mondays

I more or less agree with the rankings. You did a good job with them. I don't know about the tiers. Creighton is tear one more or less because of the name of their coach and the fact that Dougie Fresh dropped a lot of points on slow footed Europeans in Latvia this summer. I don't think there is a gap between Missouri State and them right now.

Looking just at Missouri State right now, I don't really think this week is that big of a measuring stick. Playing Oklahoma State and in that torunament later will be the real tests. ORU is mostly garbage. They had a good team in 2006 or so and got lucky and beat Kansas at AFH. Sutton got a lot of acclaim for that flukish win and that has carried over into this image of them being better than they actually are. They are okay, but remind me of the last time they beat someone that was really relevant. You'd have to go back to roughly 2006 I'd guess.

New Mexico seems average to. Tough to win at the Pit but Alford's team is a less talented version of his usual retreads, rejects, and what is a nice one of saying unsavory peoples? I mean that with respect but it is largely true. They are capable of beating us on a given night but that would speak more to us playing sloppy and wearing a bullseye than anything. This week is big for us, but mostly just in that hopefully we can avoid slipping instead of it really being us facing superior competition.

+2 :Bam:

And as you call him "Dougie Fresh" still seems to be dropping a lot of points on whoever the Jays play.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUDuo » November 28th, 2011, 3:09 pm

SubGod22 wrote:Their average RPI over the past 8 years is just a little over 100. It's a solid program that is consistently in the top 150. Sutton does a pretty darn good job down there considering what he's working with.

Also, two years ago when the beat Stanford (not a great year for the Cardinals, RPI 163) they knocked off Mizzou (RPI 44) and New Mexico (RPI 10) and IUPUI (RPI 83). Also lost a number of close games to top 100 RPI teams. Like I said, a solid program capable of hanging around and defeating a number of quality teams.

Last year they lost by 5 to ISUb (84) and won 19 games. Not saying SWOMO shouldn't beat them, and couldn't beat them easily given the right conditions, but they're far from a program to just look past as an easy W.

Realtime's projection actually has ORU beating the Bears 70-69.

They're not the test that OSU will be, but it's not Emporia State either.

Honestly, after seeing Oklahoma State play last week, I expect ORU to be a tougher game...
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby SubGod22 » November 28th, 2011, 3:25 pm

I haven't heard or seen anything about them this year. Just that they usually seem to have a pretty solid and athletic team. I don't pay a lot of attention to the B12 though...
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUDuo » November 28th, 2011, 3:27 pm

SubGod22 wrote:I haven't heard or seen anything about them this year. Just that they usually seem to have a pretty solid and athletic team. I don't pay a lot of attention to the B12 though...

Granted, Stanford took #5 Syracuse to the wire but OSU looked gawd-awful against Stanford. They also looked gawd-awful against UT-San Antonio
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » November 28th, 2011, 5:05 pm

MSUDuo wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:I haven't heard or seen anything about them this year. Just that they usually seem to have a pretty solid and athletic team. I don't pay a lot of attention to the B12 though...

Granted, Stanford took #5 Syracuse to the wire but OSU looked gawd-awful against Stanford. They also looked gawd-awful against UT-San Antonio

You may be right. I thought that the tragedy at OSU might have impacted those performances. Who knows? As for ORU, I was having some fun earlier. They are always a decent squad in that conference but they always seem to have significant injuries.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball