xsaluki
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Re: FTQ's Power Rankings

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FeartheQ » November 28th, 2011, 5:43 pm

xsaluki wrote:You have southern ranked too high.

It wouldn't feel right if I didn't have every Valley team making the top 10. ;)
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby FeartheQ » December 5th, 2011, 12:04 am

FTQ Week 4 Rankings
TIER 1
1. Creighton 7-0 - There isn't much to say right now, they are clearly the most complete team at this moment. They win at home and they get it done on the road. Creighton should begin to move up the Top 25 pretty fast if they can get through their last 2 road challenges of non conference. St. Joe's will be a good test. McDermit is the class of the Valley so far, no question.
TIER 2
2. Wichita St. 5-2 - This could be the Valley's best win of the season (UNLV) they are an extremely talented bunch and Wichita State didn't just win this game, they dominated it. If they can snag wins @Tulsa and vs. Utah State this week they will be right back into the thick of any at large talk.
3. Northern Iowa 7-1 - UNI is flat out getting work done. They continue to add quality wins to the resume. People want to count them out because they play a drag it out kind of game, beware their defense WILL beat you.
TIER 3
4. Missouri State 4-2 - Hard week for the Bears as they played on the road Wednesday and then @ the Pit Saturday. Really showed up lackluster in both first halves and a lot of questions have surfaced with the primary being rebounding. Weems is trying to get into a groove, hopefully that time comes Wednesday against OK State.
5. Indiana St 6-2 - Lost to a good Boise State team on the road. There are clearly challenges that are going to need some correcting in order to challenge for a possible top 3 finish in the Valley.
TIER 4 (Hardest Tier to rate)
6. Evansville 3-3 - Struggling early in the season and I think they can jump out of it, but they clearly have their work cut out for them. Colt Ryan did look impressive on Saturday (31 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 steals). Good luck Tuesday @ UNC.
7. Drake 5-3 - 40+ point loss to Boise St? they aren't THAT good. Did get an average win @ home vs Air Force on Saturday.
8. Illinois State 5-3 - Just when I think ISUr starts getting there stuff together they get a home game against NC Wilmington and lose by 9. These are the losses ISUr cannot afford to have with lack of other competition in non conference. Gotta finish noncon strong.
TIER 5
9. Bradley 3-4 - They will have their shots to move up the rankings with some good games coming up, but Bradley will likely be underdogs in most of them.
10. Southern Illinois 1-3 - SIU did not lose a game this week. Their schedule does become pretty favorable to finish of noncon (with an exception of K-State). Gotta grab a few wins from some of those lower tier teams.
Last edited by FeartheQ on December 5th, 2011, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » December 5th, 2011, 8:22 am

We lost by 9, but it was actually closer than that as we had to foul at the end to get the ball back. We still played pretty bad and very uncharacteristic of how we have playing this year and the type of team we have. Hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call. I am fairly confident our guys won't walk into any valley games thinking it will bea cakewalk. I do feel bad though since our RPI will take a nasty hit and so will teams we beat in conference. UNI is building up quite the resume and I think we could kill it by beating them to open up conference play on our court.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Hail Our Panthers » December 5th, 2011, 8:31 am

Pretty close to what I came up with last night:

1. Creighton
7. Drake
8. Illinois State
9. Bradley

Drake has potential to be about anywhere in that list, but this is where I see them finishing as of now.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 5th, 2011, 8:57 am

BirdmanBB wrote:We lost by 9, but it was actually closer than that as we had to foul at the end to get the ball back. We still played pretty bad and very uncharacteristic of how we have playing this year and the type of team we have. Hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call. I am fairly confident our guys won't walk into any valley games thinking it will bea cakewalk. I do feel bad though since our RPI will take a nasty hit and so will teams we beat in conference. UNI is building up quite the resume and I think we could kill it by beating them to open up conference play on our court.

Whether you lose by nine or lose by one, when you are playing at home against a team that hasn't won a single game yet, it is pretty damn bad. Maybe IlSU should play all of their games in a ballroom?

Here's my power rankings:

1. Creighton
2. WSU
3. UNI
(Big division here)
4. InSU
5. MSU
(Another big division)
6. Illinois ST
7. Drake
8. Evansville
9. Bradley
10. SIU
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » December 5th, 2011, 9:08 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
BirdmanBB wrote:We lost by 9, but it was actually closer than that as we had to foul at the end to get the ball back. We still played pretty bad and very uncharacteristic of how we have playing this year and the type of team we have. Hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call. I am fairly confident our guys won't walk into any valley games thinking it will bea cakewalk. I do feel bad though since our RPI will take a nasty hit and so will teams we beat in conference. UNI is building up quite the resume and I think we could kill it by beating them to open up conference play on our court.

Whether you lose by nine or lose by one, when you are playing at home against a team that hasn't won a single game yet, it is pretty damn bad. Maybe IlSU should play all of their games in a ballroom?

Here's my power rankings:

1. Creighton
2. WSU
3. UNI
(Big division here)
4. InSU
5. MSU
(Another big division)
6. Illinois ST
7. Drake
8. Evansville
9. Bradley
10. SIU

I'm not ready to put UNI up there with CU and WSU...Is there a big division between the first 2 and the rest? You bet. But I think the jury is still out on UNI. Maybe even have them alone at three, slightly above ISUb and MSU

The top 5 is probably a lot better than the bottom 5 but of course, we are just 6 games in and all this will chance by the beginning of January :P
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby bigdawg » December 5th, 2011, 10:20 am

Til yesterday I would have had WSU lower. I'd still have them below UNI. Indians St should be closer to Evansville and Drake than to WSU and UNI.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby xsaluki » December 5th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Southern is still ranked too high.
xsaluki
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » December 5th, 2011, 5:57 pm

FeartheQ wrote:FTQ Week 4 Rankings
TIER 1
1. Creighton 7-0 - There isn't much to say right now, they are clearly the most complete team at this moment. They win at home and they get it done on the road. Creighton should begin to move up the Top 25 pretty fast if they can get through their last 2 road challenges of non conference. St. Joe's will be a good test. McDermit is the class of the Valley so far, no question.
TIER 2
2. Wichita St. 5-2 - This could be the Valley's best win of the season (UNLV) they are an extremely talented bunch and Wichita State didn't just win this game, they dominated it. If they can snag wins @Tulsa and vs. Utah State this week they will be right back into the thick of any at large talk.
3. Northern Iowa 7-1 - UNI is flat out getting work done. They continue to add quality wins to the resume. People want to count them out because they play a drag it out kind of game, beware their defense WILL beat you.
TIER 3
4. Missouri State 4-2 - Hard week for the Bears as they played on the road Wednesday and then @ the Pit Saturday. Really showed up lackluster in both first halves and a lot of questions have surfaced with the primary being rebounding. Weems is trying to get into a groove, hopefully that time comes Wednesday against OK State.
5. Indiana St 6-2 - Lost to a good Boise State team on the road. There are clearly challenges that are going to need some correcting in order to challenge for a possible top 3 finish in the Valley.
TIER 4 (Hardest Tier to rate)
6. Evansville 3-3 - Struggling early in the season and I think they can jump out of it, but they clearly have their work cut out for them. Colt Ryan did look impressive on Saturday (31 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 steals). Good luck Tuesday @ UNC.
7. Drake 5-3 - 40+ point loss to Boise St? they aren't THAT good. Did get an average win @ home vs Air Force on Saturday.
8. Illinois State 5-3 - Just when I think ISUr starts getting there stuff together they get a home game against NC Wilmington and lose by 9. These are the losses ISUr cannot afford to have with lack of other competition in non conference. Gotta finish noncon strong.
TIER 5
9. Bradley 3-4 - They will have their shots to move up the rankings with some good games coming up, but Bradley will likely be underdogs in most of them.
10. Southern Illinois 1-3 - SIU did not lose a game this week. Their schedule does become pretty favorable to finish of noncon (with an exception of K-State). Gotta grab a few wins from some of those lower tier teams.

Very nicely done (again). The only thing I might change is to put Ind State above the Bears. That's a close call though.

I was one of those that was doubting how good CU would be at the start of the year. I figured they would be good but I didn't think they would run away from everyone else. But now I think that may very well be the case. I don't see them losing at home in the conference games.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball