Indiana at Evansville

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Indiana at Evansville

Postby pafan » November 16th, 2011, 10:23 pm

I bet Marty will tell at least one reporter in the next 5 days that he was out-coached by Tom Crean.

It may be true. Or, it could be as simple as the dude behind me at Ford Center said. "Bigger Faster Stronger."

In February, pafan wrote:And I can't tell you how much I would love it if UE-Indiana could become a regular thing again. IU isn't doing much for our SoS this year, but there is a strong consensus that Tom Crean knows what he's doing and will get IU back into the NCAAs.

Is this IU's year? I'd be surprised. But Crean does still have 6 years or something on his contract. :bounce:
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TylerDurden » November 16th, 2011, 10:27 pm

IU is certainly better this year than last. Remember, Crean started with nothing and then lost his best player to injury two years in a row. If they stay healthy, they could work their way to the middle of the Big Ten.

UE got worked tonight. Forget about it and win the next one.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » November 16th, 2011, 10:28 pm

Really bad game for EU. They fell behind right away, and IU never looked back.

What is up with the covered seats in the new arena?
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby purple&orange » November 16th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Bigger, Faster, Stronger pretty much sums it up. IU was able to switch all screens and still have a good matchup for them. Throw in the fact they shot the 3 very well, especially early and it got ugly pretty quickly. It just seemed as if every semi-open look, lane for UE was closed a lot quicker than usual.

Indiana is much more balanced with Zeller in the middle, amazing how much one player can impact a team. Throw in the fact that Oladipo and Sheehey are now really good basketball players on top of being extremely athletic and that opens so much more up for them. They have turned the corner from the Sampson phone call mess that hit them and are much improved.

It's an ugly loss, a tough loss but now the fun starts as we'll see how the Aces can respond to the beatdown they took tonight.

Those covered seats are the front row seats for the hockey rink and some temp risers/seats are on that one end of the floor so they cover the seats......not sure why they went with blue for the tarps.
purple&orange
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pafan » November 16th, 2011, 10:37 pm

valleychamp wrote:What is up with the covered seats in the new arena?

The high dollar floor level seats block the view from the stadium seats behind, so UE opted not to sell those seats.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby sect.3purple » November 17th, 2011, 12:18 am

We got beat tonight by a team who was simply....much better than us in every category. They were bigger, much taller. Can't help that. They were more athletic. Can't help that. They played with more intensity. THAT we can help....and our standing around made for a disappointing night for this fan. IU is a very good team, and they were shooting the lights out early tonight with their 3's. No excuses....we simply got beat by a much better team. Ugly game that I hope is learned from and helps us get a lot better.
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jackwagon » November 17th, 2011, 6:11 am

This game went about like I expected it too. If IU played well there was no way E-ville could of won. But combine IU playing well and E-ville not showing up you get what happen last night. This is why I think E-ville is a pretender not a contender in the valley. Tell me how they are going to stop Stutz, Doug Mc, Echieque, Richard, Hall, or Weems? The big men they had last year were below average but somehow I think they got even more below average in the middle this year. They might be able to steal a couple games they shouldnt if the cards fall right but no way they are competing for the valley title when its all said and done, probably 5th or 6th.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sixth ace » November 17th, 2011, 9:14 am

Friday was the best of time
Wednesday was the worst of time
picking up the pieces and and moving on

IU hit 75% of their shots most of the first half . They did missed toward the end to finish the half at just under 60%. The damage was done early and quickly.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Sycamore_DevilDog » November 17th, 2011, 9:29 am

I.U. will be even better next year with many of the Hoosier states top NATIONAL recruits enrolling next year. As an I.U. hater it is hard to accept this, but it is what it is...Crean(Clappy The Clown)is doing a great recruiting job by reviving and selling the I.U. brand. The question of his coaching remains unanswered at this point, but top quality recruits can make up for that shortfall.
A U.S. Marine: No better friend, no worse enemy.
Sycamore_DevilDog
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Happy » November 17th, 2011, 10:44 am

jackwagon wrote:This is why I think E-ville is a pretender not a contender in the valley. Tell me how they are going to stop Stutz, Doug Mc, Echieque, Richard, Hall, or Weems? The big men they had last year were below average but somehow I think they got even more below average in the middle this year. They might be able to steal a couple games they shouldnt if the cards fall right but no way they are competing for the valley title when its all said and done, probably 5th or 6th.

This is why I predicted in the prediction thread that we will end up 6th in MVC play. The inside weakness is glaring. We will live and die by small ball, not dissimilar to last year. We have more experience on the perimeter and we generally play hard, but we lost valuable experience in the post.

The IU game tape will be game preparation 101 for the Valley teams to defend against our motion offense.
Ace Happy
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball