Creighton at UAB tonight

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton at UAB tonight

Postby MoValley John » November 17th, 2011, 1:01 pm

I didn't listen to the game until the 5:00 mark, instead, I tried to watch the debacle in Evansville and the LBSU win over Pitt. I just glanced at the box score and saw that Young only played 28 minutes. In fact, the only Bluejay over 35 was Manigat. Manigat? McDermott played 32. One of the weaknesses last year was by the end of the game, Creighton players were gassed. This was a game where the bench is usually short, but it looks like Creighton has guys that can eat up minutes and give the starters a rest.

Also, based on the box score, Creighton shot horribly, even worse from the freethrow line. They made up for it with fewer turnovers, outrebounded UAB and scored more second chance points. On another note, Doug McD and Echineque accounted for 10 of Creighton's 14 turnovers. Interesting box score.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » November 17th, 2011, 3:08 pm

It was great to see Creighton beat a pretty good UAB team on the road w/o having to shoot well on the floor or FT line.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 17th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Nice win. MVC sure is rolling so far in our out of conference games.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 17th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Way to go Jays! That was step 1 in solid At-Large resume building.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cu8493 » November 18th, 2011, 2:41 pm

I think Creighton was 7-10 from free throw line at one point, which is not horrible. But, Echinque and Gibbs went a combine 0-5 in the last couple of minute. What you will find this year is that AY will rarely play over 30 minutes, and hopefully will be closer to 25 minutes, becasue of the energy he uses on the floor. This should keep him much fresher throughout the season. It isn't just that CU has guys who can eat minutes this year. Unlike anytime in the past probably 6 or 7 years, the bench guys are capable of doing more than just not sucking too bad. I am pretty comfortable that our second group of five are as good top to bottom as any other teams second group of 5 in the MVC. While I think that was true in the late 90s and early 2000s, I haven't been able to say that for quite some time.
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SportsFan JasonK » November 18th, 2011, 3:40 pm

This was a very good road win for Creighton and the Valley. I'm loving the way this season is starting out for the conference.

Altman was a good coach who just couldn't win NCAA tournament games. Just a guess, but that's probably going to change.
SportsFan JasonK
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball