When your team plays a big state school at home...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: When your team plays a big state school at home...

Postby MoValley John » November 17th, 2011, 11:12 pm

BearChief wrote:SEMO and UMKC are RPI killers for us. Having them on a perpetual home and home arrangement would hurt the strength of schedule. Exactly why we're playing a D-2 this weekend. The spot was vacated and the only D-1 options available were RPI killers, so may as well just play the D-2 and not hurt your SOS.

Mizzou can't say the same about us hurting their RPI. In fact we'd boost their non-conference strength of schedule.

So Missouri State doesn't play any cupcakes? Missouri State doesn't play any RPI killers? Didn't you guys just do a roadie at Arkansas State?

My point is, every team has cupcakes, even Duke and North Carolina. Why not schedule instate cupcakes? If nothing else, it allows MSU fans all over the state to attend a game. while not a home game, playing in Kansas City every other year would probably make the MSU alums in the area very happy.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MSUDuo » November 17th, 2011, 11:50 pm

MoValley John wrote:
BearChief wrote:SEMO and UMKC are RPI killers for us. Having them on a perpetual home and home arrangement would hurt the strength of schedule. Exactly why we're playing a D-2 this weekend. The spot was vacated and the only D-1 options available were RPI killers, so may as well just play the D-2 and not hurt your SOS.

Mizzou can't say the same about us hurting their RPI. In fact we'd boost their non-conference strength of schedule.

So Missouri State doesn't play any cupcakes? Missouri State doesn't play any RPI killers? Didn't you guys just do a roadie at Arkansas State?

My point is, every team has cupcakes, even Duke and North Carolina. Why not schedule instate cupcakes? If nothing else, it allows MSU fans all over the state to attend a game. while not a home game, playing in Kansas City every other year would probably make the MSU alums in the area very happy.

Arkansas State won their division in the Sun Belt last year and was picked to win the SB this year. I don't believe they finished the in 300s in the RPI last year. The 300 RPI teams we get are a part of the tourney we are in; get 2 good games in Vegas, take 2 bad games at home.

Looking at past schedules, it seems we do schedule one RPI killer on our own. The others have come as a part of a tournament, like this year.

With that said, I do get what you are saying but his point was that we can't afford the RPI killer like UNC and Duke can. That's why we took a D2 game this Saturday instead of a RPI killer which was available.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » November 18th, 2011, 12:08 am

Arkansas st finished last season in the bottom half of the rpi
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » November 18th, 2011, 12:31 am

uniftw wrote:Arkansas st finished last season in the bottom half of the rpi

Yep. 178. Hardly an RPI killer
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MoValley John » November 18th, 2011, 1:00 am

And Mizzou boatraced Niagra tonight in a half-empty gym. Just as well they played SEMO.

There are a hundred excuses why Mizzou won't play you guys and there are a hundred excuses why MSU won't play SEMO. None of them are good for basketball and none of them are good for the fans.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » November 18th, 2011, 8:53 am

Until UMKC and SEMO can produce consistent years in the top half of the RPI, UMC, MSU, and SLU have NO obligation to play them. Just as I didn't expect UMC and SLU to play MSU until they demonstrated that they are a year-in, year-out contender, there is no reason for the top programs in the state to dent their RPI and slum it with the low majors in the state.

Now, if UMKC had Oral Roberts or Detroit's profile, or SEMO had Murray or Morehead's profile, we would be talking about a different story and I think an in-state round-robin would be called for. But saying UMC is to MSU what MSU is to SEMO is ridiculous. The numbers speak for themselves.

NOTE: yes I undertand that the three top programs in the state schedule trash 300+ RPI home cupcakes every year, and in that sense we may as well schedule in-state. But that is not the question presented.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BearChief » November 18th, 2011, 9:10 am

MoValley John wrote:And Mizzou boatraced Niagra tonight in a half-empty gym. Just as well they played SEMO.

There are a hundred excuses why Mizzou won't play you guys and there are a hundred excuses why MSU won't play SEMO. None of them are good for basketball and none of them are good for the fans.

First of all, we do play UMKC and SEMO, and when we do, it's a home and home. But being roped into playing a perpetual home and home with them is WAY too much. It's almost like guaranteeing yourself a weak SOS. As Duo mentioned, the only cupcakes we have on the schedule this year were a necessary evil in order to get quality games in the Las Vegas Classic.

Conversely, Mizzou won't play us at all. In fact, they won't even take a 2 for 1. Their best offer was their own ridiculous version of a 2 for 1 which involved two games at their place and 1 game at a neutral site. That's a slap in the face and it just proves how afraid their administration is.
BearChief
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball