When your team plays a big state school at home...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: When your team plays a big state school at home...

Postby FeartheQ » November 17th, 2011, 8:49 am

valleychamp wrote:What a hilarious attitude that is. That is the exact same thing that Mizzou says about MSU.

Exactly. Casey needs to take off the homer glasses. Mizzou doesn't have any benefit to playing MSU and MSU doesn't have benefit to playing SEMO.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » November 17th, 2011, 11:51 am

DUBulldog wrote:When Iowa or Iowa State, or even UNI play at Drake, there is always a large contingent of fans from the visiting team. Since Drake doesn't come close to selling out for most games, there are plenty of tickets available for fans of the opposing team. Iowa, ISU and UNI all have lots of alums in the area, so they have a pretty good showing. I'd guess last night's game was 60% Drake fans, 40% ISU. A lot of red clothed people headed for the exits with about 20 seconds to go.

I'd bet last years UNI game was close to a 50/50 split....maybe, just maybe more UNI fans.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheShock » November 17th, 2011, 3:34 pm

TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » November 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm

MoValley John wrote:I understand Kansas not wanting to play WSU, but I don't understand K-State. Likewise, Mizzou should be playing MSU.

:+1: Yes I agree. Casey's statement regarding SEMO and UMKC does sound like a double standard and probably is to some extent. But when Division I interstate schools are at a certain higher level like the Big 12, MVC, or ACC I just think it's kind of incumbent for them to play each other. I know that higher level is subjective though.

Regarding MU not having any incentive to play MSU: There might not be advantages to the school itself but I feel it is owed to the fans of that state. And there would be some monetary rewards. MU vs MSU would be BIG in the state of MO.

Absolutely not true that MU is always the best team in the state. We have beaten them in the past. Just my opinion but I think last year we would have beaten them at home and possibly on a neutral court. And that may be the case this year. I also think it's possible some years WSU might be the best team in their state although that's a little harder case because year in and year out KU is much better than MU.

Yes Iowa has it good in this respect. With the head to head matchups they generally know who their best team is. From an MSU perspective I'd certainly be willing to play SEMO and UMKC if it meant we got to play MU. It'll probably never happen though.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » November 17th, 2011, 4:56 pm

The thing about Iowa that makes it easy is there are 4 division 1 teams in the state, and no low-majors. It makes for a very clean schedule and takes away all of the others excuses that exist in states like Illinios, Missouri, and Kansas.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MoValley John » November 17th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Missouri State should play home and homes with SEMO and UMKC, just as Mizzou should play them as well. Looking at both Mizzou's and MSU's schedules, there is plenty of room for these games. Plenty. When you reach the level of a Duke, NC, Kentucky or Kansas, well, then you might have some credibility in not doing instate home and homes, maybe... The rest of college basketball should be playing these games.

That said, and I don't know this to be a fact, but I often wonder, do teams like SEMO want home and homes with the likes of MSU? I ask this because if SEMO has a home and home with MSU, that takes away one potential "buy" game. Smaller schools need these "buy" games. I'm just opining, but could teams like SEMO and UMKC not want an instate round robin deal because it would cut into needed "buy" revenue?
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » November 17th, 2011, 6:31 pm

unipanther99 wrote:The thing about Iowa that makes it easy is there are 4 division 1 teams in the state, and no low-majors. It makes for a very clean schedule and takes away all of the others excuses that exist in states like Illinios, Missouri, and Kansas.

What excuse is there in the state of Kansas? Three division 1 schools: KU, KSU and WSU. No low majors here.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » November 17th, 2011, 7:17 pm

shocktheheart wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:The thing about Iowa that makes it easy is there are 4 division 1 teams in the state, and no low-majors. It makes for a very clean schedule and takes away all of the others excuses that exist in states like Illinios, Missouri, and Kansas.

What excuse is there in the state of Kansas? Three division 1 schools: KU, KSU and WSU. No low majors here.

There is no excuse. Its completely lame. That would be a great yearly round robin if you could do it. Great matchups, always quality teams, and most importantly it would be awesome for the fans in the state.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 17th, 2011, 8:19 pm

A yearly round robin would be great in Kansas and in Missouri. Great exposure for the schools and I'll bet would generate lots of revenue. It's too bad it probably won't happen.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BearChief » November 17th, 2011, 11:01 pm

SEMO and UMKC are RPI killers for us. Having them on a perpetual home and home arrangement would hurt the strength of schedule. Exactly why we're playing a D-2 this weekend. The spot was vacated and the only D-1 options available were RPI killers, so may as well just play the D-2 and not hurt your SOS.

Mizzou can't say the same about us hurting their RPI. In fact we'd boost their non-conference strength of schedule.
BearChief
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball