When your team plays a big state school at home...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: When your team plays a big state school at home...

Postby unipanther99 » November 16th, 2011, 4:46 pm

When Iowa and Iowa State started coming to the Dome in the late 80's, there were probably almost as many Hawkeye and Cyclone fans as Panther fans in the stands. Those early games were novalty games, billed to set attendance records.

View of the Jan. 3,1990 Iowa @ UNI game. Attendance: 22,676, UNI won 77-74
http://wcfcourier.com/image_3d7f2b90-71 ... 25c2d.html

Over time, interest faded but there were still large contingents of visiting fans. Then Iowa and Iowa State started getting bad, UNI started getting good, and now it's mostly UNI fans.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FeartheQ » November 16th, 2011, 4:50 pm

We will probably never get Mizzou on our home court, but when we play SLU we usually have the majority in both Springfield and St. Louis.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » November 16th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Kip Dynamite wrote:Hell would freeze over before Mizzou played us at home. They would be way to afraid to ever take that chance.

They know that they will lose without question. Same reason SLU is ducking us now. It sucks because they are the ones that are really missing out. We don't need to play them really.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby FeartheQ » November 16th, 2011, 5:27 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
Kip Dynamite wrote:Hell would freeze over before Mizzou played us at home. They would be way to afraid to ever take that chance.

They know that they will lose without question. Same reason SLU is ducking us now. It sucks because they are the ones that are really missing out. We don't need to play them really.

Actually SLU wanted to play us, we didn't want to add another road game during the non-conference.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » November 16th, 2011, 5:31 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Forgive me for it's been about 10 years since the last in-state school had enough balls to come visit us, about 20 years since the flagship of all flagships has done so, so my memory may be hindered. I would use about the same ratio CaliJay just used, 80/20 WSU. There will always be speckles of blue or God-awful purple laid throughout the arena. I would say when we played at Manhattan, there would be more visiting Shocker fans present than visiting Kitten fans present at Koch. Probably much like Nebraska fans at Creighton games, it was always fun to see the Purple Bandwagon come out. They talked football throughout the game, had no clue what their players' names were, and were completely oblivious to the rules of college basketball.

The 4 or 5 schools who get a chance to get in-state schools in their gyms on a every other year basis are pretty lucky. I do envy that and commend those in-state schools for having testicles.

Kansas is a national powerhouse. Best team in the state of Kansas every year always. Why do they need to come play in Wichita? And also K-State is doing pretty good lately. I don't know if you noticed but they made it to the Elite Eight two years ago. I am biased on the issue but I do like K-State and at Bramlage those are good basketball fans. And they supported the program in some lean years with Asbury and Wooldridge. WSU like it or not is third in the pecking order in that state. Not that it is a bad thing in a great basketball state like that but I think that K-State fans should be commended for all the crap they have sat through for many, many years.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » November 16th, 2011, 5:35 pm

FeartheQ wrote:

Actually SLU wanted to play us, we didn't want to add another road game during the non-conference.

Really? I didn't remember it that way. Wish we could of found room.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » November 16th, 2011, 5:39 pm

When Iowa or Iowa State, or even UNI play at Drake, there is always a large contingent of fans from the visiting team. Since Drake doesn't come close to selling out for most games, there are plenty of tickets available for fans of the opposing team. Iowa, ISU and UNI all have lots of alums in the area, so they have a pretty good showing. I'd guess last night's game was 60% Drake fans, 40% ISU. A lot of red clothed people headed for the exits with about 20 seconds to go.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MSUDuo » November 16th, 2011, 6:06 pm

FeartheQ wrote:

Really? I didn't remember it that way. Wish we could of found room.

:roll:

The 2 or 4 year contract was up after last year. While it was SLU's turn to host, like said above, we didn't want another road game. We needed home games. So we chose not to sign a new contract. Hopefully we do starting next season as it is a game that should always be on the schedule. Along with Tulsa, ORU, and other regional foes. I wish we would start something with WKU as they traditionally have a decent basketball team. If Arkansas State keeps things going in the right direction, I wouldn't mind continuing that series as well.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby glm38 » November 16th, 2011, 6:27 pm

MSUDuo wrote:
:roll:

The 2 or 4 year contract was up after last year. While it was SLU's turn to host, like said above, we didn't want another road game. We needed home games. So we chose not to sign a new contract. Hopefully we do starting next season as it is a game that should always be on the schedule. Along with Tulsa, ORU, and other regional foes. I wish we would start something with WKU as they traditionally have a decent basketball team. If Arkansas State keeps things going in the right direction, I wouldn't mind continuing that series as well.

That's the way I remember it too. I also remember the last time we played SLU - Majerus really said some ugly things post game about the Bears ducking them for this coming year. My understanding was we just couldn't fit them in this year.

I do hope we start the series up again. To me interstate rivalries are great. If we can't get MU then SLU is the next best thing.
Last edited by glm38 on November 16th, 2011, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » November 16th, 2011, 6:42 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Forgive me for it's been about 10 years since the last in-state school had enough balls to come visit us, about 20 years since the flagship of all flagships has done so, so my memory may be hindered. I would use about the same ratio CaliJay just used, 80/20 WSU. There will always be speckles of blue or God-awful purple laid throughout the arena. I would say when we played at Manhattan, there would be more visiting Shocker fans present than visiting Kitten fans present at Koch. Probably much like Nebraska fans at Creighton games, it was always fun to see the Purple Bandwagon come out. They talked football throughout the game, had no clue what their players' names were, and were completely oblivious to the rules of college basketball.

The 4 or 5 schools who get a chance to get in-state schools in their gyms on a every other year basis are pretty lucky. I do envy that and commend those in-state schools for having testicles.

Kansas is a national powerhouse. Best team in the state of Kansas every year always. Why do they need to come play in Wichita? And also K-State is doing pretty good lately. I don't know if you noticed but they made it to the Elite Eight two years ago. I am biased on the issue but I do like K-State and at Bramlage those are good basketball fans. And they supported the program in some lean years with Asbury and Wooldridge. WSU like it or not is third in the pecking order in that state. Not that it is a bad thing in a great basketball state like that but I think that K-State fans should be commended for all the crap they have sat through for many, many years.

I think you just like K-State because both of you guys averaged more fans for your women's games than your men's games.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball