Wichita State vs Colorado on ESPNU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » November 17th, 2011, 7:34 am

Really important game tonight for the Valley as the Shockers battle the Buffs in the first round of the Puerto Rico Tipoff. A Wichita State win would mean a second round matchup against either Alabama or Maryland.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Wichita State vs Colorado on ESPNU

Postby ictjay » November 17th, 2011, 8:07 am

Good time to play Colorado. WSU stomps them.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » November 17th, 2011, 9:05 am

Looks like this one will be watchable on ESPN3 as well as U.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/#type/upcoming/
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 17th, 2011, 9:15 am

I really like WSU in this one. perhaps even a huge blowout.

Reports were that Creighton dominated Colorado in the closed door scrimmage. I really think WSU can do likewise. Go get this one Shocks.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » November 17th, 2011, 9:42 am

While I think the Shox will win, CU is not as bad as everybody seems to be thinking. I've looked over their roster and read some reports on their players and they appear to be pretty solid. They've added a trfr from Utah, who would have likely been Utah's leading scorer last year if he hadn't transferred.

CU has a pretty good sized lineup. 6'7" and 6'9" up front and both those guys score and get boards in bunches. PG is 6'3" and the 2 and 3 are 6'5" each and those guys get boards.

Marshall is probably going to go with the small lineup again (starting Smith over Hall). Murry's not 100% and Williams is starting at SG. That moves Kyles to SF. With Murry not 100% and Hall still adapting to defending the perimeter, WSU is starting two players (Smith and Kyles) at what is considered "out of position" for them.

I think the Shox have better depth and might be able to wear the Buffs down, or gain some points when starters are taking a blow. This game is not going to be a stroll down Happy Ending Ave. CU has the potential to be the most underrated team the Valley has faced so far this year. The coaching staff at CU is 3 of Turgeon's assistants when he was at WSU. I believe at least two of them were here for the S16 run, so they've got a known quantity on the sidelines.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ictjay » November 17th, 2011, 9:59 am

Aargh wrote:While I think the Shox will win, CU is not as bad as everybody seems to be thinking. I've looked over their roster and read some reports on their players and they appear to be pretty solid. They've added a trfr from Utah, who would have likely been Utah's leading scorer last year if he hadn't transferred.

CU has a pretty good sized lineup. 6'7" and 6'9" up front and both those guys score and get boards in bunches. PG is 6'3" and the 2 and 3 are 6'5" each and those guys get boards.

Marshall is probably going to go with the small lineup again (starting Smith over Hall). Murry's not 100% and Williams is starting at SG. That moves Kyles to SF. With Murry not 100% and Hall still adapting to defending the perimeter, WSU is starting two players (Smith and Kyles) at what is considered "out of position" for them.

I think the Shox have better depth and might be able to wear the Buffs down, or gain some points when starters are taking a blow. This game is not going to be a stroll down Happy Ending Ave. CU has the potential to be the most underrated team the Valley has faced so far this year. The coaching staff at CU is 3 of Turgeon's assistants when he was at WSU. I believe at least two of them were here for the S16 run, so they've got a known quantity on the sidelines.

CU has too many newbees at key positions. There guards will get eaten up. Most are picking CU 11-12 in the Pac 12.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RoyalShock » November 17th, 2011, 10:13 am

Those guys who had some success least year will now have to adapt to being the focus of defenses. I'm sure it was nice having Alec Burks and the other guy whose name escapes me. Those days are gone.

I'm predicting 74-62.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BirdmanBB » November 17th, 2011, 10:35 am

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7242924/a-primer-puerto-rico-tip-college-basketball

ESPN writer is predicting a shocker win of 70-59.

.....and a loss in the next round to bama 64-57
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » November 17th, 2011, 10:43 am

Shockers favored by 9
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby blueblood » November 17th, 2011, 12:06 pm