Wichita State vs Colorado on ESPNU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State vs Colorado on ESPNU

Postby WSUbballer » November 17th, 2011, 9:32 pm

WSU looked decent early, but was sloppy late. They did just enough to win. Colorado was bringing it defensively and I think they could sneak up on a few people this year. But they are young so they'll definitely finish bottom half of the PAC-12. The PAC-12 is weak though, so you never know..

The outside game was really going well early and that deterred us from the inside advantage we had. Wish we would have went there sooner.

We didn't click on cylinders but we did win and nearly won by double-digits. I'll take it. And with that W, that guarantees us opportunities with Bama and then Temple or Purdue. That was HUGE.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ictjay » November 17th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Colorado had 0 inside game. Hall seemed lost
Which is understandable for a juco guy. Guard play for shocks is excellent. Need to feed Stutz more.

Short bench.

Ps. Baller, not a backslide violation.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby 2livewu » November 17th, 2011, 9:58 pm

ictjay wrote:
Short bench.

Not really sure why the short bench tonight. I hope it's because Gregg felt securing the win was so important to the rest of the season (based on last year) that he didn't want to take any chances.

I guess it's not that big a deal....White, Anacreon and Wessell probably should sit....but Cotton deserves minutes imho.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Haha » November 17th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Lots of coaches on here...

As for this win it was key. A loss here and you are looking at Maryland and then either Iona or Western Michigan, suddenly it's just like Maui last year.

Now they are going to get Alabama and either Purdue or Temple regardless of what happens. If they lose both then whatever but at least they get a shot at the better half of this tourney now.

...and that is all this game was about to me, just win it.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 17th, 2011, 11:31 pm

Meh, not a great game by the Shox but they got the win anyway. I expected better, but Colorado was better on defense than I thought they would be. Especially on the perimiter. Our interior defense was pretty bad. They couldn't seem to figure out the pick and roll. Reminded me when Paul Miller was on the team. Turgeon ran the pick and roll for him quite a bit the sweet 16 year. I guess that makes since given Boyle was assistant at that time. Just wish we would have shown better defense from the post. Guards got after it pretty good, which is expected.

I agree they should have fed Stutz more, but we have already been warned over the summer that this was going to be a guard oriented team who likes to shoot alot of 3's. I guess we should just get used to it. The good news is that we do still have Stutz so hopefully we will live by the 3, but not die by it.

I also thought we could have done better passing the ball. Not as many assists as we have come to expect from the Shocks.

It's going to take a MUCH better effort against Alabama tomorrow or it could get ugly. I think the boys are up to it though. Heck, at least we have a SHOT at 2 good teams over the next 3 days. Pull at least 1 win out of them and I think the Shox will be ok. 2 is gravy!!
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Shockerfan13 » November 17th, 2011, 11:42 pm

Well this is at least more encouraging, perhaps we WILL look for Stutz more. I sure hope so....

WSU coach Gregg Marshall wants his guards to look for Stutz more in the lane. The Shockers didn't shoot a free throw in the first half, largely because they didn't manufacture many post touches.

"You've got to keep giving him looks," Marshall said. "And he's got to keep working harder to establish better post position. There were a couple times, as a former point guard, I thought we should have gotten him the ball in the first half."

Stutz made 5 of 9 shots in the second half, scoring 10 of his 14 points

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2011/11/17/210728 ... z1e25z17bZ
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUDuo » November 17th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Well done...Valley continues to roll...Need the one against 'Bama now
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby 2livewu » November 18th, 2011, 7:35 am

MSUDuo wrote:Well done...Valley continues to roll...Need the one against 'Bama now

That's nice to say, but I don't understand the "need" part. If WSU "needs" this game, then everyone in the Valley "needs" to win every non con game, save perhaps UE at UNC.

Seems to me a win tonight would be an unexpected bonus for the Shocks, and frankly the entire league. Alabama is an elite team right now.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 18th, 2011, 7:49 am

2livewu wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:Well done...Valley continues to roll...Need the one against 'Bama now

That's nice to say, but I don't understand the "need" part. If WSU "needs" this game, then everyone in the Valley "needs" to win every non con game, save perhaps UE at UNC.

Seems to me a win tonight would be an unexpected bonus for the Shocks, and frankly the entire league. Alabama is an elite team right now.

I don't think he meant "need" in that sense. I think he was talking about the conference needing the win.

I'll say this -- with a win against Alabama, WSU would have a really, really good at large profile.

I'm concerned that without using a deeper bench today, WSU will be too gassed tomorrow.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LMS » November 18th, 2011, 8:37 am

ictjay wrote:Colorado had 0 inside game. Hall seemed lost
Which is understandable for a juco guy. Guard play for shocks is excellent. Need to feed Stutz more.

Short bench.

Ps. Baller, not a backslide violation.

I expected more from Hall. I know it was just one game, but I didn't really see anything about him that made me think he was going to be a force in the MVC.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball