Creighton vs Iowa - with live online chat

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton vs Iowa - with live online chat

Postby MVCfans » November 20th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Game Report from our correspondent in Des Moines has been posted on The MVC Report.

link: Creighton - Iowa game report
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mecha_bulldog » November 20th, 2011, 11:16 pm

LJay wrote:Get your arse handed to you and say:
We’re a Big Ten team,” Iowa forward Melsahn Basabe said when asked about the three blowout victories to start the season. “You’re supposed to beat all those teams by 40 to 50 points. We’re supposed to beat them by more, honestly. Think about it. You’re supposed to kill teams like that. It gets tougher. We’re in the Big Ten. That was a Missouri Valley team. Granted, I think they might be Top 25. But it can get tougher than Creighton. It could be a team with more athletes than Creighton, who are just as skilled. Michigan State, Ohio State, those guys have more skill than Creighton or more skill but higher athleticism. Then what are you going to do? It ain’t gonna get no easier. We got to improve.”

You've made Mr. Basabe cry. I hope you're happy :P
mecha_bulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PeKaph » November 20th, 2011, 11:18 pm

As an Iowa follower, that quote makes me think very little of him, and a lot less of their coaching staff. If that's what he really thought coming into this game about CU, then they really didn't do a good job of preparing their team and their players for what was coming. No wonder they looked so hopeless.
PeKaph
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LMS » November 21st, 2011, 9:19 am

The surprise for me was the play of Avery Dingman. If he can come in and shoot the three consistently this Jays team will be even more dangerous.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 21st, 2011, 9:33 am

LMS wrote:The surprise for me was the play of Avery Dingman. If he can come in and shoot the three consistently this Jays team will be even more dangerous.

Agreed. Dingman was kind of the forgotten member of that recruiting class, with all the focus going to the Texas kids. It could turn out that the kid from MSU's back yard (Branson, MO) could be an important cog for CU going forward.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » November 21st, 2011, 11:54 am

ShockValue wrote:Creighton looked like an NCAA team. Very nice performance.

And Iowa looked like crap. How did Vegas have CU as an underdog? I got 2.5 points.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » November 21st, 2011, 12:06 pm

valleychamp wrote:
LJay wrote:Get your arse handed to you and say:
We’re a Big Ten team,” Iowa forward Melsahn Basabe said when asked about the three blowout victories to start the season. “You’re supposed to beat all those teams by 40 to 50 points. We’re supposed to beat them by more, honestly. Think about it. You’re supposed to kill teams like that. It gets tougher. We’re in the Big Ten. That was a Missouri Valley team. Granted, I think they might be Top 25. But it can get tougher than Creighton. It could be a team with more athletes than Creighton, who are just as skilled. Michigan State, Ohio State, those guys have more skill than Creighton or more skill but higher athleticism. Then what are you going to do? It ain’t gonna get no easier. We got to improve.”

Good god. That is the very epitome of the mentality of nearly every single Iowa Hawkeye walking the earth. Entitled, delusional DBs.

F those guys.

So you are saying that Michigan State doesn't have better athletes overall than Creighton?
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » November 21st, 2011, 12:08 pm

Michigan St isn't very good this year for one thing. A couple of CU's guys might start for them. The type of comments that he made are pretty offensive to anyone not in the BCS.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » November 21st, 2011, 12:14 pm

LMS wrote:The surprise for me was the play of Avery Dingman. If he can come in and shoot the three consistently this Jays team will be even more dangerous.

Doesn't that kind of go without saying? Creighton is good, and I've been telling anyone that would listen exactly that since the end of last season. Dingman is a pure shooter and any team that can shoot 55% from 3 for the game is going to see the losing end of the scoreboard next to nil number of times. The thing about Creighton is they have a bunch of guys that can light it up like that. Zoning them is suicide. To beat them you better play really solid and fundamental defense and have at least 2 post men that can at least keep McDermott in some level of check.

That being said, they aren't invincible, but they are damned good and unlikely to make the boneheaded mistakes that, say, WSU made to beat themselves.

The Iowa players are trying to stay positive early in the year. That's a bad team, period. They don't have 3 players that would make Creighton's team much less get playing time. Trust me, they know as well as you and I that Creighton is vastly superior to Iowa and the Jays are going to beat them every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 21st, 2011, 4:11 pm

Nice win Creighton! The added experience and recruits at the SG/Wing position has really made the Jays a superior team!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball