Odum Sophomore Slump?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Odum Sophomore Slump?

Postby Chuck » November 22nd, 2011, 11:13 am

MoBraves wrote:
Chuck wrote:Jays,
Do they come to the defense of Odum? Ummmm of course, but they aren't out of line more than any other fan base on here.

Bwaaahaaaahahaha!!! Like your sarcasm here Chuck. Think most of us caught it too.
:+1:

Thank you.
There's no doubt that there's a passionate fan base about 2 and a half hours north of here and do some of them go over the top? Duh. Do anymore go over the top than some of the other fan bases do during success? No. And don't say, "You just weren't hear for it." I have been reading this website since January of Last year and I just don't buy the, "Their fans are terrible" argument.
From the desk of Charles Bartowski
Chuck
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » November 22nd, 2011, 11:23 am

My point is that I don't think I have ever seen anyone claiming Jake Odum to be the second coming, the point guard in the Valley? Yeah, what makes that the second coming...Do they come to the defense of Odum? Ummmm of course, but they aren't out of line more than any other e got it heaped on him because Sycamore fans fan base on here.

No jealousy. In fact, I have done less Odum trashing than most, in fact, if you look back to the first couple of pages in this thread, I somewhat defended him. That being said, you either have a short memory or didn't read the threads this Spring. What I said happened, happened. When fan bases go over the top, other fan bases react. That will happen here, it happens on every conference message board. Jake Odum didn't get all of this attention heaped on him because he was a pain in everybody else's arse, he began receiving this treatment after Sycamore fans came out of the woodwork and boasted.

Keep in mind, ISU (Blue) finished third in the league, I think two games ahead of Creighton and UNI. In reality, ISU an eyelash better than Creighton and a season killing injury ahead of UNI. I don't see a whole lot of jealousy. ISU in 2010-11 doesn't make a strong case for causing jealousy or hate. ISU got hot in StL and made it to the dance. Most fan bases see this, and while they may wish it was their team that got hot, their eyes aren't green with envy.

I don't want to get into a situation where people start pulling archived posts to show just how over the top ISU fans got, I don't think that is productive, but to claim jealousy is the reason for this and innocently state that ISU fans were simply defending Odum is far, far from reality.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » November 22nd, 2011, 1:30 pm

MoValley John wrote:
My point is that I don't think I have ever seen anyone claiming Jake Odum to be the second coming, the point guard in the Valley? Yeah, what makes that the second coming...Do they come to the defense of Odum? Ummmm of course, but they aren't out of line more than any other e got it heaped on him because Sycamore fans fan base on here.

No jealousy. In fact, I have done less Odum trashing than most, in fact, if you look back to the first couple of pages in this thread, I somewhat defended him. That being said, you either have a short memory or didn't read the threads this Spring. What I said happened, happened. When fan bases go over the top, other fan bases react. That will happen here, it happens on every conference message board. Jake Odum didn't get all of this attention heaped on him because he was a pain in everybody else's arse, he began receiving this treatment after Sycamore fans came out of the woodwork and boasted.

Keep in mind, ISU (Blue) finished third in the league, I think two games ahead of Creighton and UNI. In reality, ISU an eyelash better than Creighton and a season killing injury ahead of UNI. I don't see a whole lot of jealousy. ISU in 2010-11 doesn't make a strong case for causing jealousy or hate. ISU got hot in StL and made it to the dance. Most fan bases see this, and while they may wish it was their team that got hot, their eyes aren't green with envy.

I don't want to get into a situation where people start pulling archived posts to show just how over the top ISU fans got, I don't think that is productive, but to claim jealousy is the reason for this and innocently state that ISU fans were simply defending Odum is far, far from reality.

:+1:
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 22nd, 2011, 5:27 pm

This is correct! To be fair, it was probably 3 or 4 overzealous posters from In St that caused this animosity. From there, several late-commers jumped in to defend their player (probably correct to do so) but they also threw in the "you're just jealous" and "we get no respect" arguments. Not strong...and the piling on begins a downward spiral.

I believe this goes WAY back to December of last year when Doug McD and Rice were both averaging 12-15 a game and a couple of Trees fans joined the "who will be FOY" discussion. They insisted that despite the fact that Odum only averaged 6, 4, and 4 at that time, that he was a far superior player to Rice and Doug and that he deserved FOY since he was the most important player on his team.

As it turns out Jake was good and the Sycs got hot but those Tree fans had a total lack of perspective and refused to believe that any other team could possibly have a freshman of that caliber...and it continues.

A humble ISUb fanbase would see many, many compliments towards their team and players.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sycamorestateofmind » November 23rd, 2011, 10:06 am

Sycamore_DevilDog wrote:ISU still has several 3-point shooters;Printy, Eitel, Mahurin and even two of the big guys, Twitchell and Gant, can shoot the 3. Coach Lansing is still experimenting with the depth on this team by playing 10 different guys and Duloungy has yet to see any action due to his 5 game suspension.

I think you mean Kitchell because although I was once an athlete for Indiana State it wasn't on the basketball floor. Although my mom (like most moms in Indiana) wanted me to play college basketball. It wasn't in the cards as I was only about 5'8 in high school and my mom a teacher and my dad in construction didn't make enough money to justify big minutes in high school... lol So I went with a less political sport like track and field. But it's nice to be mentioned as a big guy that can step out and shoot it.

For the record I am going to go ahead and take credit for being the poster that supposedly went over the top in pronouncing Odum the best PG in the Valley. I apologize to the forum and my own fan base (I've not been asked to come on here and do this) for misrepresenting us as a group. lol

Here you can see some of the discussion that is probably been referenced here a few times.

http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=840
sycamorestateofmind
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby glm38 » November 23rd, 2011, 3:30 pm

sycamorestateofmind wrote:
Sycamore_DevilDog wrote:ISU still has several 3-point shooters;Printy, Eitel, Mahurin and even two of the big guys, Twitchell and Gant, can shoot the 3. Coach Lansing is still experimenting with the depth on this team by playing 10 different guys and Duloungy has yet to see any action due to his 5 game suspension.

I think you mean Kitchell because although I was once an athlete for Indiana State it wasn't on the basketball floor. Although my mom (like most moms in Indiana) wanted me to play college basketball. It wasn't in the cards as I was only about 5'8 in high school and my mom a teacher and my dad in construction didn't make enough money to justify big minutes in high school... lol So I went with a less political sport like track and field. But it's nice to be mentioned as a big guy that can step out and shoot it.

For the record I am going to go ahead and take credit for being the poster that supposedly went over the top in pronouncing Odum the best PG in the Valley. I apologize to the forum and my own fan base (I've not been asked to come on here and do this) for misrepresenting us as a group. lol

Here you can see some of the discussion that is probably been referenced here a few times.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=840

Thanks for posting that thread. I hadn't seen it as I wasn't a member then. I didn't read the whole thing but your initial post as to why Odum should be FOY was very well thought out and written. I do think the right player won the award (Doug Mc) but Odum deserved consideration.

It's also nice to see someone that isn't too big to apologize on a forum like this. So often that's not the case.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sycamorestateofmind » November 23rd, 2011, 7:02 pm

Yeah as mentioned above by someone, it was more campaigning for him on my part than anything else. Reason why? He wasn't getting any talk - I think that he was still an unknown until St. Louis. The fact that early on some people said that Rice (talking about last season) was ahead of Odum in their opinion really only fueled the fire. Not that Rice is a bad a player, just that Odum had a really good year and any other season probably would have run away with the award. Doug is a good player and they probably did get it right, but to make a compelling argument you can't be convinced of that and at the time I wasn't. Even if I did disagree with the selection what would be the point in discussing it now? It's a new season and I'm attempting to move past it. lol
sycamorestateofmind
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball