Odum Sophomore Slump?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Odum Sophomore Slump?

Postby Sycamore_DevilDog » November 22nd, 2011, 9:40 am

Come on people...understand that if Jake Odum wasn't such a pain in everybody's a** last year he wouldn't be getting so much "hate" on this board. No doubt opponents are preparing a defensive plan to limit what Odum likes to do, but hopefully Odum can adjust to those defenses. All Sycamore fans that are honest with themselves recognize Odum's shortcomings, but we also recognize his strength's in the scheme of play and his influence on the team's overall play.
A U.S. Marine: No better friend, no worse enemy.
Sycamore_DevilDog
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » November 22nd, 2011, 9:56 am

Sycamore_DevilDog wrote:Come on people...understand that if Jake Odum wasn't such a pain in everybody's a** last year he wouldn't be getting so much "hate" on this board. No doubt opponents are preparing a defensive plan to limit what Odum likes to do, but hopefully Odum can adjust to those defenses. All Sycamore fans that are honest with themselves recognize Odum's shortcomings, but we also recognize his strength's in the scheme of play and his influence on the team's overall play.

Actually, you are upside down on your statement. If sycamore fans weren't so myopic and over the top with their Odum comments, Jake wouldn't be under the microscope nearly as much. I don't know of anybody that doesn't appreciate his talents and give him credit for being one of the best players in the league. But when McDermott was named newcomer of the year, and when Weems was given MOP of Arch Madness, the claws and fangs from the Sycamore fans came out. It lasted all Summer and this is what you get. Odum is a great player, but there are many great players in the league. It had been a long time since the Trees mattered in this league and when they won in St L. Sycamore fans perspective became jaded. Sycamore fans built the reputation for Odum that will almost be impossible for him to meet. Unfortunately for Jake, he gets to reap the outcome of what Sycamore fans created.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jays26 » November 22nd, 2011, 10:10 am

MoValley John wrote:
Sycamore_DevilDog wrote:Come on people...understand that if Jake Odum wasn't such a pain in everybody's a** last year he wouldn't be getting so much "hate" on this board. No doubt opponents are preparing a defensive plan to limit what Odum likes to do, but hopefully Odum can adjust to those defenses. All Sycamore fans that are honest with themselves recognize Odum's shortcomings, but we also recognize his strength's in the scheme of play and his influence on the team's overall play.

Actually, you are upside down on your statement. If sycamore fans weren't so myopic and over the top with their Odum comments, Jake wouldn't be under the microscope nearly as much. I don't know of anybody that doesn't appreciate his talents and give him credit for being one of the best players in the league. But when McDermott was named newcomer of the year, and when Weems was given MOP of Arch Madness, the claws and fangs from the Sycamore fans came out. It lasted all Summer and this is what you get. Odum is a great player, but there are many great players in the league. It had been a long time since the Trees mattered in this league and when they won in St L. Sycamore fans perspective became jaded. Sycamore fans built the reputation for Odum that will almost be impossible for him to meet. Unfortunately for Jake, he gets to reap the outcome of what Sycamore fans created.

:+1:

My thoughts exactly...you don't see fans from other teams dogging on Doug McD do you????
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Chuck » November 22nd, 2011, 10:19 am

MoValley John wrote:

I don't buy that but for starters Weems didn't win MOP at Arch madness; Mallett Did.
I feel the majority of fans just aren't used to Indiana State or UE for that matter having something to brag about. Now you may see that as a back-handed compliment but it's just the way the comments rain down including phrases such as "GododumGod" that sound like they come straight from the mouth of an envious fan.
Just trying to clarify.
To Jays26, how many Trees fans are making fun of Doug McD? The only insults I have seen thrown his way are the occasional comments by UNI fans.
I think they are both great talents in different ways, this world of video game ratings has RUINED some great talent fits with the "Well he's not better than (insert different player with different position here)"
From the desk of Charles Bartowski
Chuck
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jays26 » November 22nd, 2011, 10:38 am

Chuck wrote:
MoValley John wrote:

I don't buy that but for starters Weems didn't win MOP at Arch madness; Mallett Did.
I feel the majority of fans just aren't used to Indiana State or UE for that matter having something to brag about. Now you may see that as a back-handed compliment but it's just the way the comments rain down including phrases such as "GododumGod" that sound like they come straight from the mouth of an envious fan.
Just trying to clarify.
To Jays26, how many Trees fans are making fun of Doug McD? The only insults I have seen thrown his way are the occasional comments by UNI fans. I think they are both great talents in different ways, this world of video game ratings has RUINED some great talent fits with the "Well he's not better than (insert different player with different position here)"

Chuck...that was my point, I have not seen any from Tree fans or any other fans because most have not gone on here and declaired Doug to be the second coming.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Chuck » November 22nd, 2011, 10:43 am

Jays,
My point is that I don't think I have ever seen anyone claiming Jake Odum to be the second coming, the point guard in the Valley? Yeah, what makes that the second coming...Do they come to the defense of Odum? Ummmm of course, but they aren't out of line more than any other fan base on here.
From the desk of Charles Bartowski
Chuck
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MoBraves » November 22nd, 2011, 10:53 am

Brian wrote:I agree. Although, we only lost Aaron Carter as a "three point sniper." One thing that hurts is Jordan Printy and others are in a little shooting slump or his assist numbers could be really high. He's still getting to where he wants to go. Personally, I think he's trying to hard.

But one of your fellow Syc fans said that Printy is one of the best 3-point shooters in the country!
Oh - I guess that will come after his shooting slump. :)
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MoBraves » November 22nd, 2011, 10:55 am

Chuck wrote:Jays,
Do they come to the defense of Odum? Ummmm of course, but they aren't out of line more than any other fan base on here.

Bwaaahaaaahahaha!!! Like your sarcasm here Chuck. Think most of us caught it too.
:+1:
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shocktheheart » November 22nd, 2011, 10:59 am

I don't post here much, but Tree fans are really starting to bug me. You had a great weekend in StL. and Odum is a solid point guard, but the madness some of you spew out here is laughable and annoying. I used to reserve this anger towards Creighton and Aquanet (Altman), but now it is heading your way. Doogie and his dad are not as easy to hate as that squirrel Altman. Doogie is the best player in this league along with Weems, Odum will probably be in that category sometime in the future. He is not there yet, simmer down with you GodOdumGod and other fan bases will actually root for you. That is all.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 22nd, 2011, 11:05 am

Chuck wrote:Jays,
My point is that I don't think I have ever seen anyone claiming Jake Odum to be the second coming, the point guard in the Valley? Yeah, what makes that the second coming...Do they come to the defense of Odum? Ummmm of course, but they aren't out of line more than any other fan base on here.

The only reason you haven't seen it is because you joined the board on June 28, 2011. You should have been here last spring.

The god____god stuff is an old ValleyTalk reference. It was based on the infamous player for Princeton, God Shammgod. It became a VT catch phrase when SIU fans overhyped Matt Shaw after he signed a LOI, but hadn't played a game. From then on he became "godShawGod." The reason Odum is tagged with a similar monicker is because InSU fans went way, way, way over the top (just like SIU fans did about Shaw) in discussing/selling Odum last year.

Make no mistalke about it - there were several InSU fans that went way over the top. They called him "the best PG in the conference," "one of the best in the nation", "a better player than McDermott", "the real tourney MOP", etc., etc. etc.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball