CU is Top 25?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

CU is Top 25?

Postby Red » November 21st, 2011, 11:48 am

Creighton was 32nd in last week's caches poll. I wonder if they might slip into the Top 25. I think they're a head above the rest of us right now and that's what was predicted, but I'm not convinced that WSU and Indiana State are for sure the next two best teams. I'd put Missouri State next based on what I've seen.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

CU is Top 25?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: CU is Top 25?

Postby valleychamp » November 21st, 2011, 12:47 pm

Looks like they are #25 in the espn/usa today poll.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PorkTornado » November 21st, 2011, 12:52 pm

And slip in at number 12 on the cbsports.com mid major poll.

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/33439839
PorkTornado
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby CaliJay » November 21st, 2011, 1:44 pm

Matty P (along with a few other Jays fans on our board) seem to think it would be better to wait until a little later in the season before we crack the rankings. Not sure how anyone thinks being ranked is a bad thing. Does it put a bulls-eye on our backs now? Sure it does, but what is the point of playing of you don't welcome the pressure? Cracking the top 25 brings on more exposure as well... ESPN bottom scroll, highlights, etc.
CaliJay
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby SubGod22 » November 21st, 2011, 1:51 pm

CaliJay wrote:Matty P (along with a few other Jays fans on our board) seem to think it would be better to wait until a little later in the season before we crack the rankings. Not sure how anyone thinks being ranked is a bad thing. Does it put a bulls-eye on our backs now? Sure it does, but what is the point of playing of you don't welcome the pressure? Cracking the top 25 brings on more exposure as well... ESPN bottom scroll, highlights, etc.
Exactly. I've always been annoyed by the WSU posters who, when things like this were discussed, wanted to fly under the radar and not have too much pressure put on the team. Seriously? I know programs like CU and WSU want to build themselves into Top 25 programs and win in March. The exposure helps that. If you want to be a championship program you have to deal with pressure and learn to thrive on it. Ranking can also help when on the recruiting trail which can help elevate the program(s) even farther.

Anybody who doesn't want that is weak and spineless.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ictjay » November 21st, 2011, 2:05 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
CaliJay wrote:Matty P (along with a few other Jays fans on our board) seem to think it would be better to wait until a little later in the season before we crack the rankings. Not sure how anyone thinks being ranked is a bad thing. Does it put a bulls-eye on our backs now? Sure it does, but what is the point of playing of you don't welcome the pressure? Cracking the top 25 brings on more exposure as well... ESPN bottom scroll, highlights, etc.
Exactly. I've always been annoyed by the WSU posters who, when things like this were discussed, wanted to fly under the radar and not have too much pressure put on the team. Seriously? I know programs like CU and WSU want to build themselves into Top 25 programs and win in March. The exposure helps that. If you want to be a championship program you have to deal with pressure and learn to thrive on it. Ranking can also help when on the recruiting trail which can help elevate the program(s) even farther.

Anybody who doesn't want that is weak and spineless.

100% agree Sub. People bitch when we get no respect. Don't be flippin scared of success!
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby valleychamp » November 21st, 2011, 2:08 pm

Being ranked is very important for mid-majors, it really helps your team stay on the national radar. It can be the difference between several seed lines in the NCAA tournament.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » November 21st, 2011, 3:26 pm

This is good news for Creighton and the Valley.

from ESPN:
Good for Creighton: The Blue Jays are hardly a sleeper at this point, but still, you have to give the coaches some credit for voting Greg McDermott's team into the Top 25 this week. There's no denying how impressive Creighton has been so far this season, not only in its routs of North Carolina A&T and Chicago State, but in a solid 10-point win over UAB and -- most recently and most impressively -- the 82-59 smackfest Creighton laid on Iowa Sunday afternoon. Iowa entered that game flying high, scoring points at will on cupcake opponents and looking much improved in Fran McCaffery's second year. The beatdown in Des Moines didn't get a ton of national attention; it's good to see the coaches noticed just how good Creighton really was.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... -creighton
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby glm38 » November 21st, 2011, 4:31 pm

Red wrote:Creighton was 32nd in last week's caches poll. I wonder if they might slip into the Top 25. I think they're a head above the rest of us right now and that's what was predicted, but I'm not convinced that WSU and Indiana State are for sure the next two best teams. I'd put Missouri State next based on what I've seen.

I agree. I think CU is currently the best team in the Valley. I'd also put us at #2 currently. But it's really early.....Plenty of time for things to change.

Also agree with the posts stating that a top 25 ranking is awesome for the MVC and CU. If that were MSU I'd be ecstatic.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » November 21st, 2011, 5:19 pm

Creighton is most deserving of this ranking and I'm glad they got it. They are the real deal.

In regards to some of the MSU is No.2 comments, I can't really say for sure since your 3 games really aren't comparable to some of the games some teams have lost to. I'm pretty sure WSU or UNI would have looked good in games against Nevada (not sold on them yet), Arkansas State, and Emporia State. Now will MSU have a chance to prove it later on in the schedule? Yes. But let's please not assume MSU is the second best team in the conference based on wins over those lower-level teams, while UNI loses at St. Mary's in a midnight game and WSU loses by 10 to a Top 12 team and in OT to Temple.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball