CU is Top 25?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: CU is Top 25?

Postby FeartheQ » November 21st, 2011, 5:33 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Creighton is most deserving of this ranking and I'm glad they got it. They are the real deal.

In regards to some of the MSU is No.2 comments, I can't really say for sure since your 3 games really aren't comparable to some of the games some teams have lost to. I'm pretty sure WSU or UNI would have looked good in games against Nevada (not sold on them yet), Arkansas State, and Emporia State. Now will MSU have a chance to prove it later on in the schedule? Yes. But let's please not assume MSU is the second best team in the conference based on wins over those lower-level teams, while UNI loses at St. Mary's in a midnight game and WSU loses by 10 to a Top 12 team and in OT to Temple.

If you aren't sold on Nevada and Ark State yet, lets not assume they are low level teams then either.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » November 21st, 2011, 5:59 pm

FeartheQ wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:Creighton is most deserving of this ranking and I'm glad they got it. They are the real deal.

In regards to some of the MSU is No.2 comments, I can't really say for sure since your 3 games really aren't comparable to some of the games some teams have lost to. I'm pretty sure WSU or UNI would have looked good in games against Nevada (not sold on them yet), Arkansas State, and Emporia State. Now will MSU have a chance to prove it later on in the schedule? Yes. But let's please not assume MSU is the second best team in the conference based on wins over those lower-level teams, while UNI loses at St. Mary's in a midnight game and WSU loses by 10 to a Top 12 team and in OT to Temple.

If you aren't sold on Nevada and Ark State yet, lets not assume they are low level teams then either.

Is that the same Arkansas State that is 1-3? The team with losses to Lamar and Ohio, as well as Missouri State? The same team with their lone win over 0-3 Tennessee Martin?

I am reserving judgment, but early on, they don't look very good at all.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby FeartheQ » November 21st, 2011, 6:23 pm

MoValley John wrote:
FeartheQ wrote:

Is that the same Arkansas State that is 1-3? The team with losses to Lamar and Ohio, as well as Missouri State? The same team with their lone win over 0-3 Tennessee Martin?

I am reserving judgment, but early on, they don't look very good at all.

Yup, and Wichita State's 2 wins have equaled 1 division 1 win this year. So if your saying winning on the road to someone who has won a division one game this year is any worse than anything the Shockers have done so far winning wise, then you are misconstrued. They may not be Valley quality but they will win more games than Colorado or Charleston Southern will.

Edit: If you do decide to throw out wins you are asking if the Bears could keep within 10 of the Crimson Tide or lose within 4 to Temple, those are going to be unanswerable since we haven't played teams of that caliber. Just because the Shox lost to good schools doesn't mean they are better than a team with better wins than WSU has.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Kyle » November 21st, 2011, 6:46 pm

Good for CU. They deserve the ranking.

Regarding MSU being the obvious #2: One argument I have for UNI is the win against ODU. After we beat them convincingly they went on to win 3 in a row before giving Kentucky all they could handle in the finals of the Hall of Fame tournament.

Also, two of our three opponents were tournament teams last year.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » November 21st, 2011, 6:59 pm

FeartheQ wrote:
Yup, and Wichita State's 2 wins have equaled 1 division 1 win this year. So if your saying winning on the road to someone who has won a division one game this year is any worse than anything the Shockers have done so far winning wise, then you are misconstrued. They may not be Valley quality but they will win more games than Colorado or Charleston Southern will.

Edit: If you do decide to throw out wins you are asking if the Bears could keep within 10 of the Crimson Tide or lose within 4 to Temple, those are going to be unanswerable since we haven't played teams of that caliber. Just because the Shox lost to good schools doesn't mean they are better than a team with better wins than WSU has.

I agree with all of this. It is way too early to judge good and bad wins and losses. For Wichita State, Missouri State and Creighton for that matter. We will see in a few weeks how things begin to pan out. With regards to Arkansas State, they may be fine. At the same time, I would really temper any thoughts on them looking at their history. Their early performance also indicates that they just might not be that good. That's not to say they won't be good, but I wouldn't be throwing them out as a quality win as of yet. I probably wouldn't be using them in comparisons yet, either, that's all.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » November 21st, 2011, 7:19 pm

You kinda stole my thunder, MVJ. That's exactly what I'm getting at.

That's why unless something has distinctly changed, I would keep close to the preseason rankings at this time. That's why propelling MSU up to 2 for their wins seems too quick to judge. I think you can see more out of losses to quality teams than wins over essentially nobodys.

And MVJ is right. Arkansas State doesn't look like a good win right now. And you must inform me FearTheQ on where I said the Colorado and Charleston Southern wins were better than MSU's wins, because I certainly didn't say that. But to base things off this early in the season, it's just hard to say MSU is the No.2 team right now. But whatever. That's the early basketball season for ya.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby FeartheQ » November 21st, 2011, 7:26 pm

WSUbballer wrote:You kinda stole my thunder, MVJ. That's exactly what I'm getting at.

That's why unless something has distinctly changed, I would keep close to the preseason rankings at this time. That's why propelling MSU up to 2 for their wins seems too quick to judge. I think you can see more out of losses to quality teams than wins over essentially nobodys.

And MVJ is right. Arkansas State doesn't look like a good win right now. And you must inform me FearTheQ on where I said the Colorado and Charleston Southern wins were better than MSU's wins, because I certainly didn't say that. But to base things off this early in the season, it's just hard to say MSU is the No.2 team right now. But whatever. That's the early basketball season for ya.

My post actually didn't have anything to do with with you specifically, baller. I was saying if people want to put MSU at #2 I don't see the fault. You have not beat a team better than MSU's best win. Sure you can bring in your losses, but we cant go out there and try to "lose as good" as you did. Like you said it is very early. The next few weeks will give a better breakdown for the year. The Bears are defending champs, Wichita has shown nothing to put themselves ahead of the defending champs so far.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSUbballer » November 21st, 2011, 7:35 pm

This thread is dedicated to CU's Top 25 ranking so this will be my last off-topic rant about this.

You want people to believe that Nevada and Arkansas State are good wins, even better than Colorado's, simply based on preseason rankings. But then, you don't wanna believe preseason rankings of the Valley teams with WSU at 2 and MSU at 6. We can argue about this forever, but my opinion is not gonna change that MSU is the league's 2nd best team simply based on wins over Arkansas State and Emporia State. You can't bring the Nevada win into this anymore because that happened the week before and then you still had WSU above MSU, even though MSU had "better wins", as you've put it,

I'm trying to remain as unbiased as possible. I don't think WSU is the No.2 team in the league right now. I also don't think MSU is either. Maybe it would be best to have a neutral party weigh in to decide this, as it appears MVJ is exactly that and has voiced his opinion.

Back to Creighton, big game in San Diego coming up. Should be a fun game to watch. Is this one on the Mtn? If so, that sucks. Hope it's online somewhere..
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby FeartheQ » November 21st, 2011, 7:39 pm

Regardless of the scuffle we all know rankings after 2 weeks will not mean anything in February and March.

Congrats to the Jays on a deserved ranking! Stay ranked throughout non-conference ball please!
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSUbballer » November 21st, 2011, 7:41 pm

FeartheQ wrote:Regardless of the scuffle we all know rankings after 2 weeks will not mean anything in February and March.

Congrats to the Jays on a deserved ranking! Stay ranked throughout non-conference ball please!

This is something we can both agree on. :+1:
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball