CU is Top 25?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: CU is Top 25?

Postby BEARZ77 » November 21st, 2011, 7:59 pm

Have to agree with the sentiment that MSU has not proven anything good or bad yet. The quality of the Nevada and ASU wins are unknowns, with only the margin of victory and the fact they were road wins as any real qualifiers. While WSU has the two losses, they were games that WSU at least was able to show they can compete with NCAA Tourney calibre teams in, so that is a tangible positive yet unproven for the Bears. I've said from the start that I expect the Bears to take some hits in the noncon, I had predicted 7-5/8-4 initially and that still easily could ring true. The wins simply validated some of our early perceptions about the depth and talent of some of the newcomers, but the team overall still has not been tested. The hope was that a tough noncon with a few high level games and otherwise laced with road games against a number of good but not great mids would get a roster full of new players working with a new coaching staff ready to contend once Valley play started. Haven't really changed my thoughts on that or the expected results.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » November 21st, 2011, 8:21 pm

I agree with you in some respects Bearz. We haven't been tested yet. I really thought we would struggle early on too. Because of the new coach and all the new players. But after seeing all of our games so far I'm not sure? I'm not saying we'll win every game of course but I'm not sure we'll struggle either. What tells me that has been the way we've won and how we've looked. Our depth and our team chemistry tell me we may be in for a special season.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » November 21st, 2011, 10:55 pm

glm38 wrote:I agree with you in some respects Bearz. We haven't been tested yet. I really thought we would struggle early on too. Because of the new coach and all the new players. But after seeing all of our games so far I'm not sure? I'm not saying we'll win every game of course but I'm not sure we'll struggle either. What tells me that has been the way we've won and how we've looked. Our depth and our team chemistry tell me we may be in for a special season.

Yep. We have throttled people and haven't even needed to rely on Lusk's expert X and O's. It is early but I don't think this team will struggle very much. I even took a lot away in the Emporia game. I think we are just a few weeks from really readjusting our expectations for this team. To a higher level.

Switching to Creighton. They are legit top 25. Good to see them get recognition. They will carry the Valley banner well all year.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LJay » November 21st, 2011, 11:10 pm

Question asked above about San Diego St...yes, on the Mtn network.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaliJay » November 21st, 2011, 11:39 pm

Not trying to turn this into a McDermott love-fest, but thought this was a pretty good article from the Des Moines register about the game vs. Iowa and this columnists thoughts on Doug.

Hansen: Hawkeyes squander an opportunity
[ 1 ] November 20, 2011 | Marc Hansen Share Opportunity was everywhere you looked Sunday at Wells Fargo Arena.

For a Creighton team with a decided Iowa influence, the game was an NCAA Tournament showcase, a chance to tell the selection committee the Bluejays from the Missouri Valley Conference belonged with the boys from the BCS schools.

No, take that further. It was a chance to show the selection committee that maybe the big boys didn’t belong with them.

For the Hawkeyes, it was a great opportunity to get central Iowa behind them. Nearly 13,000 showed up at the Well, roughly 70 percent cheering for the Black and Gold.

It was a fresh start in an unblemished season, a new year in a promising new era. For the Hawkeyes, alas, it was opportunity lost.

The final score was 82-59 and it wasn’t as if the Bluejays pulled away at the end to make it look worse than it really was. To the contrary, with just under four minutes to play, the Hawkeyes trailed 80-48.

This was not Iowa’s day. So far it hasn’t been Iowa’s decade times two, but the hope among the Hawkeye faithful is Fran McCaffery will change that.

Judging by his recent recruiting efforts — get back, Roy Williams — someday he will. Sunday’s outcome, on the other hand, failed to inspire confidence.

There’s this sneaking suspicion Creighton would have beaten Iowa without Doug McDermott nearly throwing a perfect game, and that’s saying something about his old man’s program.

The sophomore from Ames had quite the line: 10 for 15 from the field, 25 points, nine rebounds, no turnovers in only 28 minutes.

The kid could turn out to be one of the Valley’s all-time greats. Harrison Barnes isn’t the only player from that two-time state championship team who could start for North Carolina.

McDermott is that good. A picture of efficiency, he probably could have scored 40, but he slipped into the background when he knew his scoring wasn’t needed.

The answer to McDermott was sitting on the Iowa bench in street clothes. Unfortunately, Ryan Bowen used up his eligibility before going off to play nine years in the NBA.

Bowen is a little taller than McDermott and was more of a greyhound in his playing days. But McDermott has that same all-day motor, the same kind of agility. And more.

Bowen smiled when asked whether he sees himself in McDermott.

“He’s much more skilled offensively than I was in college,” Bowen said. “He has such a great work ethic, but he hits the outside shots. That’s definitely something I didn’t have at that stage. I averaged four points when I was a freshman and five points when I was a sophomore. He’s way ahead of me there. He’s a very good player on a very good team.”

Bowen’s boss picked up where he left off. Few players as gifted inside and out, McCaffery said. Uncanny ability to feel where the defense is without getting his shot blocked.

Can post up or “pick and pop.” Tremendous free-throw shooter. Can put it on the deck. Scores with his left hand as well as his right.

On he went. McCaffery could have talked about McDermott all night. The more he did, the less there was to say about his own team, which was probably a good thing.

No matter how you spin it, this was a disappointing game for McCaffery. His most valuable player, point guard Bryce Cartwright, wasn’t feeling well and played only half the game.

Honestly? It wouldn’t have mattered.

It wasn’t just McDermott, either. It was his supporting cast as well. Consider Gregory Echenique, the transfer from Rutgers.

With his sparkly pink shoes, Echenique looked like he was headed to a dance recital for large people. Or a pajama party. He could pass for an NFL lineman.

Valley players are often as tall as everyone else. But seldom do they carry 270 pounds on a 6-9 frame. Appearance-wise, Echenique was one of the few inside players from either team who passed the BCS eye test.

McDermott passed about every test there was. He plays and plays and never stops moving. His expression is the same whatever the situation. Not that this was the best time to grade him in the handling-adversity department.

We’ll hear even more about him as the season progresses, but here’s something we’ll never hear: He wouldn’t play so much if his father wasn’t the coach.
CaliJay
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby jackwagon » November 22nd, 2011, 8:12 am

CU deserves it. They have played great ball and look like a top 25 team. They certainly dont look or play like a mid major team.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » November 22nd, 2011, 9:39 am

It's pretty easy to cheer for CU surprisingly. Just tell me there aren't any more McDermott boys playing basketball that we need to worry about down the road.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jays26 » November 22nd, 2011, 9:46 am

bigdawg wrote:It's pretty easy to cheer for CU surprisingly. Just tell me there aren't any more McDermott boys playing basketball that we need to worry about down the road.

Funny you should ask...this was just talked about on the Creighton board. No Brothers I guess but a Sister that is suppose to be pretty good.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » November 22nd, 2011, 9:54 am

Jays26 wrote:
bigdawg wrote:It's pretty easy to cheer for CU surprisingly. Just tell me there aren't any more McDermott boys playing basketball that we need to worry about down the road.

Funny you should ask...this was just talked about on the Creighton board. No Brothers I guess but a Sister that is suppose to be pretty good.

I'm sure the entire Valley just let out a sigh of relief.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jays26 » November 22nd, 2011, 10:16 am

bigdawg wrote:
Jays26 wrote:

I'm sure the entire Valley just let out a sigh of relief.

Why couldn't the McDermott's be more like the Korver Family! ;)
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball