MSU checks in at #35, WSU in at #40

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MSU checks in at #35, WSU in at #40

Postby WuDrWu » September 22nd, 2010, 10:57 am

Yeah, in some ways a shame. Garrett needed a redshirt his freshman year but we had to have him play. The plan to redshirt him this year was genius, but Garrett didn't cooperate....he got too good too quick.

Now there is too much upside potential this season to sit him.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Little Eddie » September 22nd, 2010, 11:08 am

WuDrWu wrote:Yeah, in some ways a shame. Garrett needed a redshirt his freshman year but we had to have him play. The plan to redshirt him this year was genius, but Garrett didn't cooperate....he got too good too quick.

Now there is too much upside potential this season to sit him.

GodStutzGod does not roll off the tongue... :)
Little Eddie
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby pawball » September 23rd, 2010, 6:31 pm

I think Hatch and Murry will need to up their play a level for Shocks to win the Valley this year. Hannah provided the Shocks the intangibilities that aided production, he was the very key of keys. Not saying that Williams or Ragland won't be good, but Hannah was very special, as evidenced by how Shocks played with him and without him early last year.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby shockalot » September 23rd, 2010, 7:08 pm

I agree that we need Murry to continue to raise the level of his game. If Hatch is even better, that will be a bonus, but I'm not looking for him to be a necessary key to making up for the loss of Hannah. But neither of them will likely handle the point position. We can do very well without needing our point to be a top scorer, as long as they can distribute the ball well they shouldn't need to score as much as we depended on Hannah to do. WSU should have plenty of scoring options, and I think they should also be even stronger defensively.
This could be the year the MVC begins its resurgence as a "must be respected" basketball conference and back to more than a one team bid for the Big Show. I'd love to see the conference force the committee to take three valley teams this year. While that is probably unlikely, its not impossible. But if we don't get two teams into the NCAA tournament this year I'll be very disappointed.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby xsaluki » September 24th, 2010, 3:08 pm

As an outside party, I have enjoyed the toughness of both teams. Makes me miss the Saluki teams that played with toughness.

Before the season last year I picked WSU to be one or two in the league. WSU is going to be far better this year. I think what was lost will be replaced easily.

and all this pisses me off.
xsaluki
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shockalot » September 24th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Man, I feel your pain. You gotta hope SIU pulls itself back soon, because once a program outside of the BCS tanks for several years it gets real hard to get back to a desirable level of competitiveness. It was a terrible off season for you guys, but all is not lost yet.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball