Weems vs McDermott

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Weems vs McDermott

Postby MSUDuo » December 31st, 2011, 3:01 pm

[quote="UNIFanSince1983"]
glm38 wrote:
Jays26 wrote:
Undertand my quote......THAT was 1 game...I wasn't going back to last year, brand new year and it was the first game of a very long conf. season.

Let's see if you two are spouting off towards the end of the season.

I understand your quote. But if you are comparing the 2 players why in the world wouldn't you compare them head to head over their careers? And so far in that respect it's been no contest.

One is a senior and one is a sophomore. I don't really get comparing these two as they play different positions and have quite different styles of play.

But guess what I would take both on my team any day! Anyone on this forum who says different is lying![/quote]

I'll agree with this. Both have reasons people would take either and you can't go wrong with either and both have been and will be special players for the Valley
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby beatingrillz » December 31st, 2011, 4:51 pm

What does their age matter? This is player vs player you can't handicap it. In games against each other player A averages 20.75 pts on 31-61 shooting 9 boards 3 takeaways 0 turnovers and 1.5 assist, Player B averages 14 points on 24-48 shooting 10.5 boards .25 takeaways 1 turnover and 1 assist. So valley fans tgere is the truest measuring stick you have. Not to mention 1 of those players is 4-0 against the other.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jays26 » December 31st, 2011, 4:57 pm

beatingrillz wrote:What does their age matter? This is player vs player you can't handicap it. In games against each other player A averages 20.75 pts 9 boards 3 takeaways 0 turnovers and 1.5 assist, Player B averages 14 points 10.5 boards .25 takeaways 1 turnover and 1 assist. So valley fans tgere is the truest measuring stick you have. Not to mention 1 of those players is 4-0 against the other.

LOL...why does their age matter?????? Are you kidding me??? Please tell me you are not this stupid...Not even worth the time to argue with this dude. :Bam:
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » December 31st, 2011, 5:30 pm

Jays26 wrote:
beatingrillz wrote:What does their age matter? This is player vs player you can't handicap it. In games against each other player A averages 20.75 pts 9 boards 3 takeaways 0 turnovers and 1.5 assist, Player B averages 14 points 10.5 boards .25 takeaways 1 turnover and 1 assist. So valley fans tgere is the truest measuring stick you have. Not to mention 1 of those players is 4-0 against the other.

LOL...why does their age matter?????? Are you kidding me??? Please tell me you are not this stupid...Not even worth the time to argue with this dude. :Bam:

We could argue this endlessly. BUT to me this thread is about these 2 players right now. At this point in time and their careers up to this point. Not who will ultimately have the better career. So in that sense how do their ages matter? When you discuss who is the best player in all of college basketball this year do you age adjust it? Of course you don't. dude. :Bam:

If the thread was about which player was better as a sophomore then you have a whole different argument and a different answer.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » December 31st, 2011, 6:03 pm

glm38 wrote:
Jays26 wrote:

We could argue this endlessly. BUT to me this thread is about these 2 players right now. At this point in time and their careers up to this point. Not who will ultimately have the better career. So in that sense how do their ages matter? When you discuss who is the best player in all of college basketball this year do you age adjust it? Of course you don't. dude. :Bam:

If the thread was about which player was better as a sophomore then you have a whole different argument and a different answer.

Exactly, we can project all we want but this is a here and now discussion. You can't handicap a player to fit your own poragative. All you can look at is the stats head to head and over the course of a valley year.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bleach » December 31st, 2011, 6:16 pm

Where oh where has little mac gone? Where oh where can he be?
This is the Valley! Gotta be strong with the ball!
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby FeartheQ » December 31st, 2011, 6:18 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Love having the Bear fans back on the board after the W. Nothing says bandwagon like coming back out after an upset special. (No, this does not apply to posters such as glm, who have been posting here regardless of W's and L's..)

I don't get why Bear fans are using one game head-to-head to try and justify their boy. Weems has been craptastic up until this game. Dougie has been consistent each and every game. You don't crown Weems king of the castle again after one game.

It's not even close. McDermott in a landslide.

Yeah! Bandwagoners! :Bam:

Although I would guess people who even post on a college forum would rarely miss their teams play home games. I believe people who frequent these type of boards would be the more dedicated fans. Bandwagon? really? I guess that all other nine schools in the conference would be the exception to the rule? There is no way you can point your finger at one school for something like this when all 10 schools are guilty of it. Thats why everytime you say something like this about another team (Indiana St. last year comes to mind) I chuckle. Your fan base is guilty of it as well, get over it.

Bears fans are not using one game head-to-head to justify "their boy" they are using all 4 games that have been played between the 2 players while they have been on the court against each other. Also, with Weems being craptastic up until that game... yes, he hasn't played like a POY every game this year, but he has only been held under double digits once this year. A few under par games for a recent POY, but craptastic? Get real.

I would think McDermott is clearly the POY thus far, but the most important part of the season started Wednesday. Who plays better here on out? that'll be your guy.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 1st, 2012, 1:31 am

beatingrillz wrote:Exactly, we can project all we want but this is a here and now discussion. You can't handicap a player to fit your own poragative. All you can look at is the stats head to head and over the course of a valley year.

Then why are you handicapping it and only comparing the games against each others teams?
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ShockJones » January 1st, 2012, 2:22 am

FeartheQ wrote: yes, he hasn't played like a POY every game this year, but he has only been held under double digits once this year. A few under par games for a recent POY, but craptastic? Get real.

Let's get real about what you just tried to say.

Missouri State has played 14 games this year and Weems has scored double-digits in 13 of them. However, these are the "few under par games" that he has put up:

4-14 against Ark St. 10 Points
4-15 against Emporia St. 11 points
5-19 against Tulsa. 17 points
4-16 against New Mexico. 11 points
6-15 against West Virginia. 15 points
4-12 against St. Mary's. 11 points

Yes, he has also played a number of good games as well (Oral Bob, OK State, Creighton, Drake), however he has been extremely inefficient in almost half of their games this year. That is much more than just "a few under par games".

27-91 from the field. 29.6% from the field in 6 of their 14 games. 75 points in 91 shots.

I think it is pretty safe to say that he has been a good, but inefficient player so far this year. He has definitely played better the last two games, but McD has been there all year. Yes, he beat McD head-to-head but McD has still been a vastly better player this year.

There are still a number of games to play, however, and much time for both players to make their cases in league play.
ShockJones
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby beatingrillz » January 1st, 2012, 10:08 am

ShockJones wrote:
FeartheQ wrote: yes, he hasn't played like a POY every game this year, but he has only been held under double digits once this year. A few under par games for a recent POY, but craptastic? Get real.

Let's get real about what you just tried to say.

Missouri State has played 14 games this year and Weems has scored double-digits in 13 of them. However, these are the "few under par games" that he has put up:

4-14 against Ark St. 10 Points
4-15 against Emporia St. 11 points
5-19 against Tulsa. 17 points
4-16 against New Mexico. 11 points
6-15 against West Virginia. 15 points
4-12 against St. Mary's. 11 points

Yes, he has also played a number of good games as well (Oral Bob, OK State, Creighton, Drake), however he has been extremely inefficient in almost half of their games this year. That is much more than just "a few under par games".

27-91 from the field. 29.6% from the field in 6 of their 14 games. 75 points in 91 shots.

I think it is pretty safe to say that he has been a good, but inefficient player so far this year. He has definitely played better the last two games, but McD has been there all year. Yes, he beat McD head-to-head but McD has still been a vastly better player this year.

There are still a number of games to play, however, and much time for both players to make their cases in league play.

Is the Valley league honors based on valley play only?
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball