Weems vs McDermott

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Weems vs McDermott

Postby beatingrillz » December 30th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Jays26 wrote:
beatingrillz wrote:I don't know who is the best player, I do know that one wants the ball with game on the line and the other went and hid in the corner.

Hid in the corner????? :Bam:

One game dude...and he still had a double double. Weems had his best night ever I believe. Long season and I would bet you most would take McDermott.

1 point in the final 10 minutes and he deferred to his teammates over and over again. If you didn't get that I'm sorry but he hid in the corner when the game was on the line.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MSUDuo » December 31st, 2011, 1:47 am

Jays26 wrote:
beatingrillz wrote:I don't know who is the best player, I do know that one wants the ball with game on the line and the other went and hid in the corner.

One game dude...and he still had a double double. Weems had his best night ever I believe. Long season and I would bet you most would take McDermott.

One game? Weems is 3-0 against McD with 2 of them bring in Omaha and with huge second halves to seal the deal.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby FeartheQ » December 31st, 2011, 5:27 am

MSUDuo wrote:
Jays26 wrote:

One game? Weems is 3-0 against McD with 2 of them bring in Omaha and with huge second halves to seal the deal.

4-0
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » December 31st, 2011, 7:09 am

Saying McD hid in a corner is pretty harsh and just not correct. The kid was playing very hard and certainly wasn't hiding. His shots just weren't falling and there's no doubt the Bears defense was bothering him. It happens to the best players sometimes.

But it's also correct (IMO) that at this point Weems is the better end game player. No he doesn't always hit the big shot or come up big in the Bears critical games. But he's done it more often in the past 4 years than any Bears player in recent memory. Some players just excel in those situations. Kyle has proved he's one of those. As good as he is I'm not sure McD has yet. But unfortunately with his talent I'll bet he does before his 4 years are over.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jays26 » December 31st, 2011, 9:51 am

MSUDuo wrote:
Jays26 wrote:

Undertand my quote......THAT was 1 game...I wasn't going back to last year, brand new year and it was the first game of a very long conf. season.

Let's see if you two are spouting off towards the end of the season.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » December 31st, 2011, 10:10 am

Jays26 wrote:
Undertand my quote......THAT was 1 game...I wasn't going back to last year, brand new year and it was the first game of a very long conf. season.

I understand your quote. But if you are comparing the 2 players why in the world wouldn't you compare them head to head over their careers? And so far in that respect it's been no contest.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby beatingrillz » December 31st, 2011, 10:32 am

glm38 wrote:Saying McD hid in a corner is pretty harsh and just not correct. The kid was playing very hard and certainly wasn't hiding. His shots just weren't falling and there's no doubt the Bears defense was bothering him. It happens to the best players sometimes.

But it's also correct (IMO) that at this point Weems is the better end game player. No he doesn't always hit the big shot or come up big in the Bears critical games. But he's done it more often in the past 4 years than any Bears player in recent memory. Some players just excel in those situations. Kyle has proved he's one of those. As good as he is I'm not sure McD has yet. But unfortunately with his talent I'll bet he does before his 4 years are over.

I guess the 4 straight possessions where he stood on the block and didn't move isn't hiding? Not to mention when he got the ball he continued to defer to other teammates. McD is simply not a clutch player, he has to do more to win the game when it's on the line and the other night was a cop out, all there is to it.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » December 31st, 2011, 11:01 am

Sorry I don't agree with you grillz. We were collapsing and doubleteaming him every time he got the ball on the block. IMO he was making the correct decision passing out of those situations. In those situations his teammates have to hit shots too.

McD was in foul trouble and not playing well in the first half of the Northwestern game. Consequently the game was very close at the half. McD came roaring out the 2nd half and was practically ustoppable. That's not clutch?

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 31st, 2011, 11:29 am

glm38 wrote:
Jays26 wrote:

I understand your quote. But if you are comparing the 2 players why in the world wouldn't you compare them head to head over their careers? And so far in that respect it's been no contest.

One is a senior and one is a sophomore. I don't really get comparing these two as they play different positions and have quite different styles of play.

But guess what I would take both on my team any day! Anyone on this forum who says different is lying!
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » December 31st, 2011, 2:22 pm

Love having the Bear fans back on the board after the W. Nothing says bandwagon like coming back out after an upset special. (No, this does not apply to posters such as glm, who have been posting here regardless of W's and L's..)

I don't get why Bear fans are using one game head-to-head to try and justify their boy. Weems has been craptastic up until this game. Dougie has been consistent each and every game. You don't crown Weems king of the castle again after one game.

It's not even close. McDermott in a landslide.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball