Indiana State vs. Minnesota 11am (CST) Friday on ESPN

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Indiana State vs. Minnesota 11am (CST) Friday on ESPN

Postby hot nuts » November 25th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Both ISU Red and Blue failed to pull off the win against their Big 10 opponents, but at least they showed well. Maybe Bradley can the the Badgers a good game tonight
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby The Color Purple » November 25th, 2011, 2:02 pm

I thought from the 12 to 8 minute mark ISU had Minn extremely frustrated on offense. They were in the passing lanes and blocking out well, but a couple turnovers that led to easy buckets and defensive lapses gave that confidence right back. The first 35 minutes reminded me of the team that stormed through St. Louis last spring. Andy Katz tweeted that the MVC would get multiple bids this year, it's good to get early publicity even with a close loss.
The Color Purple
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby 2livewu » November 25th, 2011, 2:04 pm

MVCfans wrote:Indiana State deserved to win this one. Doesn't look good right now though.

Did someone mess up the score or did the clock operator cheat the Trees out of the win?

Too often, and it seems prevalent in the Valley (maybe because we're around it all the time I might confess) that somehow having talent is less of an intangible than hard work or some other characteristic.

Minnesota had bigger, stronger better athletes and ISU didn't overcome that. They certainly could have, and even should have, but to say they deserved to win diminishes the other teams efforts, imho, and is drinking the koolaid with a little too much exuberance.

Just my take and I certainly wanted ISU to win. It's not a good loss for the Valley. It's not a terrible loss, but it's not a good loss either.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace Dad » November 25th, 2011, 4:54 pm

2livewu wrote:
MVCfans wrote:Indiana State deserved to win this one. Doesn't look good right now though.

Did someone mess up the score or did the clock operator cheat the Trees out of the win?

Too often, and it seems prevalent in the Valley (maybe because we're around it all the time I might confess) that somehow having talent is less of an intangible than hard work or some other characteristic.

Minnesota had bigger, stronger better athletes and ISU didn't overcome that. They certainly could have, and even should have, but to say they deserved to win diminishes the other teams efforts, imho, and is drinking the koolaid with a little too much exuberance.

Just my take and I certainly wanted ISU to win. It's not a good loss for the Valley. It's not a terrible loss, but it's not a good loss either.

Good post. Too many fans drink their own koolaid to intoxication. The opponent, regardless of conference, influences the game's outcome. No team deserves to win. The team that wins deserves to win. Now, there are some 1 point game when the fan says "damn, that could have gone either way."

We forget that the last 10 minutes of the game is when a MVC team may be worn down by a team with stronger, bigger, and better athletes and/or players and deeper bench. Happens all the time.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » November 25th, 2011, 7:00 pm

13 points and 7 assists for Odum is pretty good.....his 7 turnovers is pretty bad.

Any thoughts from ISU fans as to why his turnover totals are so much higher this season?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SycamorePsycho » November 25th, 2011, 7:08 pm

DUBulldog wrote:13 points and 7 assists for Odum is pretty good.....his 7 turnovers is pretty bad.

Any thoughts from ISU fans as to why his turnover totals are so much higher this season?

Trying to do to much and forcing things at times
SycamorePsycho
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby isumvc1 » November 25th, 2011, 8:24 pm

agreed, the way Jake plays he's gonna have his share of turnovers, ISU just needs to make sure that more often than not when Jake drives the lane and dishes out that we score more often than turn the ball over (duh).

Anyway, I noticed today that Jake did shoot more often when he drove the lane. In recent games he hardly ever shot the ball (and even passed up some wide open layups). He was looking to pass every time down the lane. So hopefully he'll keep taking those open shots and hitting them.

hopefully the Plantar Fasciitis issue doesn't become too bad. It didn't seem to affect him today (at least watching on TV)

SycamorePsycho wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:13 points and 7 assists for Odum is pretty good.....his 7 turnovers is pretty bad.

Trying to do to much and forcing things at times
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » November 25th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Lost opportunity, ISUB was winning for like 90% of the game. Too bad, hopefully ISUB can salvage the last game and go 2-1 at Old Spice.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball