DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MSU vs Tulsa Sat Nov 26 @ 7 PM

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FeartheQ » November 26th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Just got back, had to eek the W out. Tough game shooting (35% from the field), but they wont fall every game. I liked the point distribution (Patterson 19, Weems 17 points and 12 rebounds, Gulley added 16 points)

Cause for concern? We foul a lot.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Hockeysticks » November 26th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Nice win Bears, I wonder if they'll get a few votes on Monday. 4-0 with 3 semi-good Named teams under the belt, not to mention how well the Valley is doing overall I bet votes will start coming in.
Hockeysticks
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby FeartheQ » November 26th, 2011, 10:08 pm

Hockeysticks wrote:Nice win Bears, I wonder if they'll get a few votes on Monday. 4-0 with 3 semi-good Named teams under the belt, not to mention how well the Valley is doing overall I bet votes will start coming in.

Nah, not this week.

If we can win @Oral Roberts and @New Mexico this week maybe next time.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Hockeysticks » November 26th, 2011, 10:18 pm

To clarify I don't think they'll be ranked, definitely too early, and I'm not expecting them to be. But a few votes isn't out of the question, especially since they won the Valley last year and kept 3 of their 4 opponents under 50 points.
Hockeysticks
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby glm38 » November 26th, 2011, 10:20 pm

Just a great game to be at. We didn't play well at all offensively but still got the win. I agree with Duo - I love watching this team play.

Pretty impressive coaching by Lusk there at the end I thought. Especially for a first year coach. His substitutions were spot on. Especially the way he was running Pickins in on defense (he had a key block) and Downing on offense (hit the big shot to force OVT).

Surely Weems shooting slump can't last much longer. I thought he took great shots tonight but they just weren't falling. He came up big at the end though. And he did have 12 boards.

Can't wait for the next game.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby FeartheQ » November 26th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Hockeysticks wrote:To clarify I don't think they'll be ranked, definitely too early, and I'm not expecting them to be. But a few votes isn't out of the question, especially since they won the Valley last year and kept 3 of their 4 opponents under 50 points.

I knew you were talking about votes, I still think we are a week away. Two huge games coming up, we will be dogs in at least one of them. It will be a tough week for sure.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Bearvision » November 26th, 2011, 10:43 pm

Weems also had at least two huge blocks (including one that led to that shot clock violation before Bouzy missed one/made one FT beofre Tulsa got the free throws to go up 3.

He had at least three shots rattle in and out that would have been huge. Including one late in the game.

That said, you should see this tomahawk dunk Weems had in the first half absolutely posterizing a Tulsa kid who was a 6-6 and athletic. It's honestly one of the top-5 dunks I've seen in my MSU fandom. Dunks are just two points obviously, but that was nasty.

Biggest coaching move of the game was bringing a cold Pickens in (he's struggling with leg soreness) to cover Clarkson after he was torching us. Then, when we got a small lead in OT, he brought Pickens in to guard Harrelson who was scorching hot from beyond the arc, and he blocked two three point attempts.

Coach had a perfect play at end of game down 1, and Patterson had an open layup that he just blew (didn't even hit rim, shot it hard off the other side of basket). Great job Coach, you had a great play and it just didn't work out there. Then, he comes back and draws up a great play and got an open shooter. Kudos to Downing, who was scoreless to that point, for hitting the big shot. He can play.

First shot at adversity this season for the Bears, and while they handled it poorly down the stretch of the game, they hit a big shot to send it to OT and then controlled OT. Came out with a big win, over a very disliked opponent.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bleach » November 26th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Tulsa is big, long, and physical inside with 2 very good guards. Bears shot poorly (good shots), but defense and rebounding were very solid. Good game for the Bears win or lose but better with the win. Will be interesting to see how the other MVC fare against them. When (not if) Kyle starts getting the shots to fall and injuries heal some, the Bears are gonna be real tough
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » November 26th, 2011, 11:09 pm

Good win Bears, was a little nervous watching the ticker and knowing this was a home game for you guys. Wouldn't have been a bad road/neutral, but can't lose it at home. Good luck in your next couplr roadies.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball