UNLV defeats #1 North Carolina

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Jet915 » November 26th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Looks like a ranked opponent will be coming to Koch next week. Great opportunity for the Shox and the Valley to knock them off.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: UNLV defeats #1 North Carolina

Postby MoValley John » November 26th, 2011, 11:53 pm

UNLV looked, really, really good. Really good. It's a great opportunity for the Shockers, but it won't be an easy task. I look for the Shockers to use a little motivation from Puerto Rico for fuel and get a little revenge! Go Shockers!
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » November 26th, 2011, 11:54 pm

MoValley John wrote:UNLV looked, really, really good. Really good. It's a great opportunity for the Shockers, but it won't be an easy task. I look for the Shockers to use a little motivation from Puerto Rico to fuel get a little revenge! Go Shockers!

MVJ, you should swing by the 316 to take in the game.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » November 27th, 2011, 12:16 am

MoValley John wrote:UNLV looked, really, really good. Really good. It's a great opportunity for the Shockers, but it won't be an easy task. I look for the Shockers to use a little motivation from Puerto Rico for fuel and get a little revenge! Go Shockers!

Teams that play a style like UNLV look unstoppable when they play "their" game. There are tons of teams like them. When they run into teams that can slow them down and play some good defense, they will lose, and they will look bad in the process.

Just cannot allow them to dictate that up tempo pace, and let them run up and down the court. If the shocks can just play some tough defense in their game, they can easily win.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » November 27th, 2011, 6:45 am

valleychamp wrote: There are tons of teams like them. When they run into teams that can slow them down and play some good defense, they will lose, and they will look bad in the process.

Just cannot allow them to dictate that up tempo pace, and let them run up and down the court. If the shocks can just play some tough defense in their game, they can easily win.

Are you sniffing glue? There are tons of teams like UNLV that can knock off UNC???? I think I know what you were trying to say, but then no.

Wichita State will play tough D, much tougher than the matador defense the Heels rolled out last night, but please don't draw a correlation between UNLV and Campbell (and I am NOT knocking CU in any way, shape or form) for instance. The Rebels have top end athletes, are extremely talented, experienced and not only capable of beating just about anybody, they just did.

It will take a Herculean effort and near flawless execution for WSU to beat UNLV next week. Hopefully the Shocks will be up to the challenge, but they better find their shooting touch by Sunday.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » November 27th, 2011, 7:10 am

I think things probably lie in the middle of the last two posts. UNLV has talent no doubt, but they also got taken to the wire by Nevada at home, and are under a first year coach. It's a game WSU has got to win at home if they believe they are legitimate NCAA Tourney team, plain and simple. It will take a solid game by the Shox on their homecourt but not probably "heculean"; teams like UNLV often are ripe for a takedown on the road after really big wins like the UNC game, so I think the Shox are in great position for a win that would really help their cause later.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 27th, 2011, 8:47 am

I don't think Champ was saying there are tons of teams that could knock off NC. Just that lots of teams play that style and look really good when they are allowed to play their game. UNLV both plays the uptempo style and has the athletes.

I don't agree it will take a "herculean" effort by WSU to win. If WSU executes and plays their game it's very winnable for them.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 27th, 2011, 9:22 am

Jet915 wrote:Looks like a ranked opponent will be coming to Koch next week.

Yup, I fully expect UNLV to bump Creighton out of the top 25.

Great opportunity for the Shox to get a ranked opponent on their home court; gotta take advantage as MVC schools don't usually get these sorts of chances.

On a related note, The MVC-MWC challenge has to be the best thing to happen to this conference in terms of scheduling in a long time. WSU doesn't get this game without the challenge and MVC schools have benefited from playing schools like New Mexico, BYU and San Diego State as well. We have to do whatever is necessary to get this challenge renewed. (Its a shame that BYU is no longer in that conference.)
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » November 27th, 2011, 9:40 am

The Shox like to get up and down the court as well. It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out. One thing going for us is we're quite capable of playing in the half court when we pound the ball in to Stutz. Should be a lot of fun.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » November 27th, 2011, 10:20 am

2livewu wrote:
valleychamp wrote: There are tons of teams like them. When they run into teams that can slow them down and play some good defense, they will lose, and they will look bad in the process.

Are you sniffing glue? There are tons of teams like UNLV that can knock off UNC???? I think I know what you were trying to say, but then no.

Wichita State will play tough D, much tougher than the matador defense the Heels rolled out last night, but please don't draw a correlation between UNLV and Campbell (and I am NOT knocking CU in any way, shape or form) for instance. The Rebels have top end athletes, are extremely talented, experienced and not only capable of beating just about anybody, they just did.

It will take a Herculean effort and near flawless execution for WSU to beat UNLV next week. Hopefully the Shocks will be up to the challenge, but they better find their shooting touch by Sunday.

He is saying there are a ton of teams like UNLV, but it is possible to make UNLV look bad by not letting them run their game. I would actually say UNC is a lot like UNLV as they like to get up and down the court too. UNC has better athletes than UNLV, and I think it was just one of those things. UNLV was in Las Vegas and was really up for this game. UNC on the other hand was not prepared, and it had actually showed the night before against South Carolina.

I believe champ was saying WSU has a good chance to take down UNLV because they have athletes, and they will not let UNLV dictate the tempo especially in Koch. It will take a darn good game from the Shox, but I think they are capable of pulling it off. They will be an underdog and loss wouldn't be too disappointing, but a win is possible and would be great for the Valley.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball