UNLV defeats #1 North Carolina

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNLV defeats #1 North Carolina

Postby Khan4Cats » November 27th, 2011, 11:36 am

PricklyPete wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:On a related note, The MVC-MWC challenge has to be the best thing to happen to this conference in terms of scheduling in a long time. WSU doesn't get this game without the challenge and MVC schools have benefited from playing schools like New Mexico, BYU and San Diego State as well. We have to do whatever is necessary to get this challenge renewed. (Its a shame that BYU is no longer in that conference.)

What is the status of this challenge in future years? Elgin needs to do anything he can to renew it.

One thing hat would help would be having more than UNI win a game in the challenge this year. Why would the MWC agree to send their teams to our courts if we can't even split with them? I think we have a good chance to fare very well this year. Hopefully their conference will see us as worthwhile adversaries for the future.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » November 27th, 2011, 11:42 am

glm38 wrote:I don't think Champ was saying there are tons of teams that could knock off NC. Just that lots of teams play that style and look really good when they are allowed to play their game. UNLV both plays the uptempo style and has the athletes.

I don't agree it will take a "herculean" effort by WSU to win. If WSU executes and plays their game it's very winnable for them.

Yes, exactly. Thank you.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » November 27th, 2011, 11:49 am

Ant the comments about needing a "herculean effort" to beat UNLV, are flat-out outrageous. This is a game that the shocks can and should win, especially at home.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » November 27th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Agreed, UNLV also almost lost to Nevada at home. Shox should have a decent chance at beating them since its at Koch and need to take advantage. This might be like the VCU game last year.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » November 27th, 2011, 2:03 pm

UNLV is a top 10 team if not a top 5 team in the country.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bearvision » November 27th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Aces1982 wrote:UNLV is a top 10 team if not a top 5 team in the country.

Can't behind this at all. I wouldn't say they're even a top-20 team at end of season.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jet915 » November 27th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Seriously? I highly doubt that, it's like saying Cleveland State is a top 10 team after they beat Vandy.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » November 27th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Cleveland St sure does look like the creme of the Horizon League, but ... well, that isn't typically top 25 material.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 27th, 2011, 7:45 pm

PricklyPete wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:On a related note, The MVC-MWC challenge has to be the best thing to happen to this conference in terms of scheduling in a long time. WSU doesn't get this game without the challenge and MVC schools have benefited from playing schools like New Mexico, BYU and San Diego State as well. We have to do whatever is necessary to get this challenge renewed. (Its a shame that BYU is no longer in that conference.)

What is the status of this challenge in future years? Elgin needs to do anything he can to renew it.

I think we are locked in for another year, but I'm not sure about that. The fear is that with their new scheduling alliance with CUSA in football, it might leak over to basketball with our challenge being replaced by one against CUSA.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » November 27th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Jet915 wrote:

Seriously? I highly doubt that, it's like saying Cleveland State is a top 10 team after they beat Vandy.

I believed this before they beat UNC.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball