UNLV defeats #1 North Carolina

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNLV defeats #1 North Carolina

Postby WSUbballer » November 28th, 2011, 7:04 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:That is not really relevent. The issue here is whether or not UNLV is a top 5-10 team. They aren't by nearly any measure. They beat UNC at neutral site Orleans Arena....in Las Vegas.

So let me get this straight. UNLV isn't legit because they beat top-ranked Carolina on a neutral court in Vegas, where it was probably 60-40 UNLV fans?

My God, you need help.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby VABear » November 29th, 2011, 6:39 pm

I doubt UNC would play Missouri State because Roy always ducked us when he was at Kansas. They played once at Kemper Arena because they had to. Close game.[/quote]

Yep, 77 to 43. Can't get much closer than that...

I don't even know what to think any more...[/quote]

77-43? I was at that BMA Holiday Classic, it was 82-73, but more evenly matched than the final score.
VABear
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » November 29th, 2011, 6:43 pm

WSUbballer wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:That is not really relevent. The issue here is whether or not UNLV is a top 5-10 team. They aren't by nearly any measure. They beat UNC at neutral site Orleans Arena....in Las Vegas.

So let me get this straight. UNLV isn't legit because they beat top-ranked Carolina on a neutral court in Vegas, where it was probably 60-40 UNLV fans?

My God, you need help.

I never said that they were not "legit." I don't talk or write like that either. I said that they hadn't proved to be a top 5-10 team. Or at least not yet. Not that they aren't good. Why is it so hard for some to seem the distinction here?
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUDuo » November 29th, 2011, 7:52 pm

VABear wrote:77-43? I was at that BMA Holiday Classic, it was 82-73, but more evenly matched than the final score.

The only time our website has us playing KU in the past 14 years is on 12/30/2000 and they have the score as 77-43... I remember being at the game at Kemper as well and don't remember it being all that close...
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby WSUbballer » November 29th, 2011, 8:52 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:I never said that they were not "legit." I don't talk or write like that either. I said that they hadn't proved to be a top 5-10 team. Or at least not yet. Not that they aren't good. Why is it so hard for some to seem the distinction here?

You said they were "marginal", which would qualify as a slight and that they would be a bubble team come March. Saying that they are a borderline NIT team is not what I would call "legit". You went too far there. No, they aren't a Top 5 or 10 team, but they aren't chopped liver like you're making them out to be either.

And then you justify them being "marginal" with .. well, they beat UNC at Orleans Arena in Vegas... like it was a bad thing or knock on them. TFF.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby dregn » November 30th, 2011, 1:29 pm

MSUDuo wrote:
VABear wrote:77-43? I was at that BMA Holiday Classic, it was 82-73, but more evenly matched than the final score.

The only time our website has us playing KU in the past 14 years is on 12/30/2000 and they have the score as 77-43... I remember being at the game at Kemper as well and don't remember it being all that close...

Looks like everyone was right (and wrong), they have played at least twice. Once in 2000 and once in 1988 in the BMA Holiday Classic. In 2000 they got beat 77-43 and in 1988 the score was 82-73. 1988 was the Roy's first year at KU and they were on probation soon after winning the 1988 national championship and were ineligible for post season play.

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/SiteMap ... =110390320
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mos ... _final.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Williams_%28coach%29
dregn
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby valleychamp » November 30th, 2011, 11:08 pm

The unbeatable UNLV team is currently tied in OT with UCSB...
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » November 30th, 2011, 11:11 pm

valleychamp wrote:The unbeatable UNLV team is currently tied in OT with UCSB...

Yeah...but UCSB is actually a good team. They played San Diego St. into OT as well and lost by 1.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » November 30th, 2011, 11:37 pm

Vegas was only a 2.5 favorite. Coming off a huge win, it was set up perfectly as a trap game. Not to mention the Gauchos usually play UNLV pretty good. Plus, UCSB is not a bad team.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » November 30th, 2011, 11:42 pm

As birdman mentioned, UCSB is actually a good team and this was a road game for the Rebels. Let's not just read the name on the jerseys and assume UCSB isn't worth a damn.

It was a gutty effort for UNLV to pull it out in 2OT. They made an amazing shot at the end of regulation just to get it to OT.

Still undefeated..
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball