Alabama State at Evansville Aces (Tuesday, Nov 29)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Alabama State at Evansville Aces (Tuesday, Nov 29)

Postby bryce » November 30th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Watched the game online,thought Sawvell played very well considering lack of practice and coming off mono. You can see that the kid has good basketball instincts and should be a good contributor ongoing.
Still think the team needs to play a match up zone due to no inside defensive presence and as we continue to get pounded on the boards . Taylor, Harris and Holmes are quick enough to play good perimeter defense.
bryce
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sixth ace » November 30th, 2011, 7:14 pm

I was at the game and thought we play with great inconsistencies. UE would play good defense for 10-12 minutes then they drop off and Al State would drain a couple of threes. The Aces at this point are missing the kill instinct. Once you get them down 10-12 points you push for 20. Instead they take the 'We're ahead so relax' and they drain the 3's on them.
I like the fact that this team goes 8-10 deep without losing a lot of production. Last night the Aces went on a 20-2 run on the Hornets and they did it with Peeler,Harris,Jones ,Taylor and Cox. no Ryan or Holmes or Sawvell.

The fact that when UE plays at home we might as well be at a neutral site. UE hasn't been able to practice at the Ford Center as we have a Hockey team that plays there regularly during basketball season. They cover the ice to put the floor down. If it isn't hockey it's the circus or a concert. This is a great addition for the city of Evansville but for the Aces it is not the practice facility that Roberts was.

Just my thoughts TCU up Saturday Should be a good test.

Go Aces
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby The Color Purple » December 1st, 2011, 1:12 pm

bryce wrote:Watched the game online,thought Sawvell played very well considering lack of practice and coming off mono. You can see that the kid has good basketball instincts and should be a good contributor ongoing.
Still think the team needs to play a match up zone due to no inside defensive presence and as we continue to get pounded on the boards . Taylor, Harris and Holmes are quick enough to play good perimeter defense.

If we could rebound better out of the zone I'd be all for it, but for most teams that play zone, not Michigan and Syracuse, it is very difficult to block out when you aren't guarding a specific person. We are getting beat on the boards in man to man. I doubt it would get better with a match up zone. I agree about Sawvell though only wish he had about 30 more pounds on him now. He will get knocked around by any team that has a big center.
The Color Purple
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball