Early Report - At Large Bids Next March

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early Report - At Large Bids Next March

Postby glm38 » November 28th, 2011, 5:32 pm

FeartheQ wrote:3 might be pushing it, but it certainly is possible.

The problem with the Valley is that it is the double round robin. Yes it is the perfect way to provide a champion, but looking at our competition out of conference we are playing 18 conference games to C-USA, A-10, and Mountain West's 16 games. We are beating up our own conference for 2 extra games.

I know SOS and RPI is huge, but when a mid major gets near the 8 to 10 loss range, they have to have some killer wins.

For the Valley to be successful this year 3 teams need to run away with the conference. we cannot have 3rd place teams losing 6 or 7 conference games and expect to make it, unless they are flawless in non conference.

You may be right. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it ever happens that way very often. The Valley conference schedule is a grind. And sometimes the worst teams take out the best. Meaning it would be really unusual for 3 teams to run away from the rest of the pack.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » November 28th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Every conference schedule is a grind. The Valley is no more a grind than X Conference or Y Conference.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bearvision » November 28th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Every conference schedule is a grind. The Valley is no more a grind than X Conference or Y Conference.

The point is we're playing more of those grind games than our peers.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ace Dad » November 28th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Bearvision wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:Every conference schedule is a grind. The Valley is no more a grind than X Conference or Y Conference.

The point is we're playing more of those grind games than our peers.

Noted.

And it gives our best 3 teams an opporunity to win two more games....right?

The knife cuts both ways.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby FeartheQ » November 28th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Ace Dad wrote:
Noted.

Not really, I would assume the teams with fewer conference games get to choose additional non-conference games.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Dad » November 28th, 2011, 8:57 pm

FeartheQ wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:
Noted.

Not really, I would assume the teams with fewer conference games get to choose additional non-conference games.

OK. You may be right. I never thought about that aspect of our 18 game schedule.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby omahaben » November 29th, 2011, 10:31 am

It is when many conferences only play 16 conference games and the Valley plays 18. By definition, a conference must go .500 in those games, which for a conference with a non-conference record >.500, will drag down its overall RPI and the overall RPI of its teams. So the Valley hurts itself at least a little by playing those extra two games, even if it's still the right thing to do.
omahaben
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby LanceShock » November 29th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Ace Dad wrote:
FeartheQ wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:
Noted.

OK. You may be right. I never thought about that aspect of our 18 game schedule.

It would just mean two more low RPI cupcakes. Wins yes, but they would be fairly meaningless wins.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » November 29th, 2011, 2:17 pm

LanceShock wrote:It would just mean two more low RPI cupcakes. Wins yes, but they would be fairly meaningless wins.

Actually, it's more than that. 16 vs. 18 conference games isn't a huge difference for a single team, but it is multiplied by each team in the conference. The difference between a 10 and a 12 team league is the potential for an additional 24 non-con wins for a conference. This can go a long way to generating more at large bids.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoBraves » November 29th, 2011, 4:21 pm

I am a little doubtful about even 2 teams in the Big Dance. If Creighton wins both the regular season by 2 or more games and then wins the Valley tourney, could be another 1-bid year.
Yes, we've got quite a few solid teams, but NCAA tourney worthy...we fall a little short.

It's too early to determine anything, and a team like MSU, Indy St, UNI could surprise us with a solid non-conf. and then finish 2nd in the league. Those bracket-buster games this year will probably mean a lot more than last year.

What wouldn't surprise me is if we get 3 NIT teams, as our Top 5 could all be NIT caliber or better. A big surprise would be getting 3 in the Big Dance. I'll be content with 2, as we haven't been treated to that in a long time.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball