Early Report - At Large Bids Next March

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early Report - At Large Bids Next March

Postby RoyalShock » November 29th, 2011, 4:28 pm

I think the discussion of the effects of an 18-game vs 16-game conference schedule on RPI, and how that affects at-large selections, is overstated.

I believe the committee looks more at the individual games that a team wins or loses and the RPIs of those opponents than the RPI of the team its looking at. That has been fairly well-established over the past few years as the selection process has been a little more public.

If the two extra non-conf games were filled with good RPI opponents that raised the RPI of MVC teams, then wins against those MVC teams by other MVC teams in conference would look better. Let's say Evansville picks up a couple more good OOC opponents and it results in an end-of-season RPI of 48 instead of 63. If CU and WSU both sweep UE, that's two more "good wins" on their resume, even if they are somewhat muted due to being conference wins. On the flip side, if UE filled those spots with poor opponents and their RPI fell to 100+, then a loss to UE by CU/WSU would look worse.

And what if the unbalanced 16-game schedule gives a top-tier MVC team one or two fewer games against the better MVC opponents? That could hurt their resume, as well.

Bottom line is, the opportunity to schedule two more OOC games is as likely to have a negative result as it is a positive one, especially considering how difficult it is to schedule good OOC games.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » November 29th, 2011, 5:16 pm

WSU still has a shot at an at-large I think. They will need to win out meaning beating UNLV and their bracketbuster. Their only "stain" is losing to fellow bubble team Temple...
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 29th, 2011, 9:25 pm

LanceShock wrote:It would just mean two more low RPI cupcakes. Wins yes, but they would be fairly meaningless wins.

Maybe, maybe not. I like to check out that basketball traveler's site every so often to see who else is looking for games. It seems as though there are always plenty of quality schools looking for non con games around the end of the year, but we can never get them booked because of the conference schedule. I know several years ago, Creighton had the chance to play Gonzaga, but a conference game was in the way. The other school (MSU I think) refused to agree to move the game, so we missed out on the game.

Maybe having that key period open would give us a chance at scheduling some more high profile opponents. Those types of opponents may find it more appealing to play at our schools when students won't be present and we would have another seven days to offer.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUBear42 » November 30th, 2011, 7:13 am

Ace Dad wrote:
FeartheQ wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:
Noted.

And it gives our best 3 teams an opporunity to win two more games....right?

The knife cuts both ways.

Not really, I would assume the teams with fewer conference games get to choose additional non-conference games.

OK. You may be right. I never thought about that aspect of our 18 game schedule.

Not to mention we have to cram even more games in when you factor in Bracket Busters and our earlier conference tournament...
MSUBear42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby NeutralObserver » November 30th, 2011, 8:59 am

Jet915 wrote:WSU still has a shot at an at-large I think. They will need to win out meaning beating UNLV and their bracketbuster. Their only "stain" is losing to fellow bubble team Temple...

Agree that Wichita could recover the at large look but I'm thinking that UNLV is on another level and a highly unlikely win and BracketBusters can be a b--- as the home team does not seem to gain an advantage on that weekend. Have not looked to see if WSU is home or road ? Probably a better chance for a nice win if on the road? The Temple loss was huge.
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby LanceShock » November 30th, 2011, 10:46 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
LanceShock wrote:It would just mean two more low RPI cupcakes. Wins yes, but they would be fairly meaningless wins.

Maybe, maybe not. I like to check out that basketball traveler's site every so often to see who else is looking for games. It seems as though there are always plenty of quality schools looking for non con games around the end of the year, but we can never get them booked because of the conference schedule. I know several years ago, Creighton had the chance to play Gonzaga, but a conference game was in the way. The other school (MSU I think) refused to agree to move the game, so we missed out on the game.

Maybe having that key period open would give us a chance at scheduling some more high profile opponents. Those types of opponents may find it more appealing to play at our schools when students won't be present and we would have another seven days to offer.

You would think that if the Valley main office really wants to improve scheduling, they would start getting involved with situations like the one you describe. A little flexibility might improve schedules, especially for teams in the conference that are on an upswing.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » November 30th, 2011, 12:40 pm

LanceShock wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:

You would think that if the Valley main office really wants to improve scheduling, they would start getting involved with situations like the one you describe. A little flexibility might improve schedules, especially for teams in the conference that are on an upswing.

I think the same thing. But at the same time, I think if Altman really wanted the Gonzaga game, and if Missouri State really wasn't interested in moving a date, I would think that Elgin would have made it happen. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Altman went to Missouri State and when they weren't willing to move, he then went to the league offices and nobody would accommodate. If that is the case, that needs to change. Maybe he did all of that and Elgin didn't want to mess up the schedule and set a precedent, if so, Elgin dropped the ball.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » November 30th, 2011, 1:04 pm

MoValley John wrote:
LanceShock wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Maybe, maybe not. I like to check out that basketball traveler's site every so often to see who else is looking for games. It seems as though there are always plenty of quality schools looking for non con games around the end of the year, but we can never get them booked because of the conference schedule. I know several years ago, Creighton had the chance to play Gonzaga, but a conference game was in the way. The other school (MSU I think) refused to agree to move the game, so we missed out on the game.

I think the same thing. But at the same time, I think if Altman really wanted the Gonzaga game, and if Missouri State really wasn't interested in moving a date, I would think that Elgin would have made it happen. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Altman went to Missouri State and when they weren't willing to move, he then went to the league offices and nobody would accommodate. If that is the case, that needs to change. Maybe he did all of that and Elgin didn't want to mess up the schedule and set a precedent, if so, Elgin dropped the ball.

It would have been a home and home series against a fellow Jesuit school who just so happens to have a national reputation, so rest assured that Dana and the entire administration wanted it.

I know that Creighton sought help from the conference in getting the game moved. I know the conference was in contact with the other school. Unfortunately, that other school wouldn't budge. Doing so would have pushed them to three games in one week while the other schools would have only had two, so I'm sure they probably felt they had their reasons.

Just like a scheduling mandate, a commissioner can only use power ceded to him from the member schools. My suspicion is that most schools wouldn't cede that sort of power to the commissioner for a litany of reasons.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » November 30th, 2011, 4:02 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:It would have been a home and home series against a fellow Jesuit school who just so happens to have a national reputation, so rest assured that Dana and the entire administration wanted it.

I know that Creighton sought help from the conference in getting the game moved. I know the conference was in contact with the other school. Unfortunately, that other school wouldn't budge. Doing so would have pushed them to three games in one week while the other schools would have only had two, so I'm sure they probably felt they had their reasons.

Just like a scheduling mandate, a commissioner can only use power ceded to him from the member schools. My suspicion is that most schools wouldn't cede that sort of power to the commissioner for a litany of reasons.

That sounds like too many people being too hardheaded. They could have come up with many alternatives to the game. If that is what really happened, then shame on MSU! You can only hope that the Bears fellow conference members would be a little more accommodating should another school have an opportunity.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » November 30th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Lastly, I'm going to guess that the Gonzaga opportunity was pre- Cuonzo Martin. With that, Bears fans and I can both agree to blame this one on Barry! :buddies: :buddies: :buddies:
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball