MSU @ Oral Roberts Wed Nov 30 @ 7 PM

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MSU @ Oral Roberts Wed Nov 30 @ 7 PM

Postby MSUDuo » November 30th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Bears will be fine. Tough first loss as if we had shown up from the start we could have had it. Still think we get 3 out of the 4 big remaining ones which would keep us in the at-large hunt
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » December 1st, 2011, 7:09 pm

I hope you are right Duo. Tough game coming up Sat at New Mexico. We'll have to play a lot better than this.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pawball » December 1st, 2011, 8:15 pm

The main thing tougher about New Mexico is the arena. Bears have two road wins, not nentural court wins, on their ledger. Winning on the road against a team that's in the Top 150 is a good thing, not something you take for granted. ORU's around 100. New Mexico's played a very weak schedule up to now, they fall somewhere close to #90 when you average the 3 big players in the rankings game: Sagarin, TeamRankings and Pomeroy. Bears average around #50. For some reason Pomeroy typically torches the better mid-majors in his ratings but rates New Mexico at #42, almost 60 places higher than Sagarin and 85 places higher than Team Rankings.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby beatingrillz » December 2nd, 2011, 11:45 am

BirdmanBB wrote:
glm38 wrote:Bad loss. ORU is pretty good but not THAT good. Our offense just seems to have deserted us these last 2 games. Not a very good effort tonight either. They beat us to all the loose balls and pounded us on the boards. Only bright spot is Weems really played well in the 2nd half.

This is kind of how I felt about Weems last year, but he had a very good supporting cast. I always felt that his game didn't really get going until the 2nd half in most games and if the rest of the team are unable to pick up the slack while he is getting in rhythm that it could spell trouble this year as they are playing from behind.

According to Ellias Sports Weems has scored 68% of his points in the first half of games, the reason you see him in the 2nd half so much is he often wants the ball with the game on the line. Look at the @UNI, CU and SIU in STL games for reference. There is no one in the valley that has a killer instinct like Weems.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » December 2nd, 2011, 11:49 am

except for maybe Doug McDermott......but to your point, that is 3 games in STL. I don't have the data in front of me, but that could also be skewed by non-conference games (which is obviously not the case this year). My point was that most games I have seen him play during conference games, it seemed as though he did start scoring in bunches until the 2nd half. I could be wrong, but that is just the perspective I got when watching the last couple years.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » December 2nd, 2011, 12:16 pm

No one in the Valley has a killer instinct like Weems? I like him, theatrics aside, but his game isn't all that different or better than many league players. I'd take Ali F a hundred times out of a hundred to take a big shot over Weems.

He's never been to an NCAA tournament so missing that alone would indicate his killer instinct is lacking at the most important moments.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » December 2nd, 2011, 5:15 pm

I'm prejudiced but even with his poor shooting so far this year I'd take Weems over anyone in the MVC currently for taking a shot/making a play with the game on the line. He's hit a lot of those shots over the years. And made numerous big plays in the last few seconds of critical games.

I've watched almost all of his games for the last 4 years and I don't notice any big disparity in his first and second half production? I agree with grillz - that just isn't true.

One thing I will say though is that Kyle isn't as consistent as some star players are. He's certainly not as consistent (especially offensively) as McDermott.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball