Occupy Terre Haute

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Occupy Terre Haute

Postby SubGod22 » November 29th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Chuck wrote:Finding that people complain about Odum being brought up so much but yet go out of their way to make Topics about it...I would bet pretty much everyone has a lot of posts concerning the Trees...I think both players are deserving, not sure that I could pick one over the other but to slight Odum's triple double isn't exactly a fair thought. Just look at the points attributed towards the final score (Taking rebounds out of the equation) Odum at the lowest with his 10 points plus 24 (All assists would be coming off 2 pointers) attributed 34 points. Don't forget to mention those three Steals...
That would give Doug 35 points and he still wins :D
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » November 29th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Chuck wrote:Finding that people complain about Odum being brought up so much but yet go out of their way to make Topics about it...I would bet pretty much everyone has a lot of posts concerning the Trees...I think both players are deserving, not sure that I could pick one over the other but to slight Odum's triple double isn't exactly a fair thought. Just look at the points attributed towards the final score (Taking rebounds out of the equation) Odum at the lowest with his 10 points plus 24 (All assists would be coming off 2 pointers) attributed 34 points. Don't forget to mention those three Steals...

I'm not slighting the triple-double, it is what it is, a triple-double. It is a great accomplishment. But using your comparison, Dougie McDecommitt still contributed more to the offense with his 31 points plus two assists. Using your standard, it's 35 points to McDecommitt to 34 points to Odum. Then you turn around and eliminate rebounds of which McDecommitt also had more???

They are both great players, both deserving, but as I said in my original post, this just spices up discussion on the board.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » November 29th, 2011, 2:46 pm

I guess a better comparison is the entire stat line:

Odum
34 minutes
2-7 shooting 28.6%
0-2 3pt 0%
6-9 FT 66.6%
Off Reb 3
Def Reb 7
Asst 12
Steals 3
Blocks 1
Turnovers 3
Fouls 4
Points 10

McDermott
31 minutes
13-19 shooting 68.4%
4-6 3pt 66.6%
1-1 FT 100%
Off Reb 2
Def Reb 9
Asst 2
Steals 0
Blocks 0
Turnovers 1
Fouls 3
Points 31

McDermott played 3 less minutes, scored 21 more points, shot a much higher percentage, turned the ball over less, rebounded more and committed fewer fouls. Odum had more assists, more blocks and steals.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » November 29th, 2011, 2:55 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Who cares which one is better than this or better than that?

Probably cu and Indy state when they face off against each other?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » November 29th, 2011, 3:00 pm

If an Indy State fan brings this topic up its seen as tree fans complaining again and thinking Jake Odum is god, but if other people do it then it is seen as a good way to spark discussion? I see.... :huh:
Last edited by jackwagon on November 29th, 2011, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » November 29th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Chuck wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:The MVC is big enough for both fine players. Who cares which one is better than this or better than that? I look forward to seeing both of them do well.

Couldn't agree more on this note; tired of seeing this pissing contest.

Looking at your join date, it's obvious you missed the pissing matches started by Sycamore fans over the last year. So seeing how you haven't experienced those merciless days, you have no idea how much these types of threads are expected. But now you do know, so don't be so surprised or whiny about them in the future. They all have reasons behind them.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » November 29th, 2011, 3:31 pm

jackwagon wrote:If an Indy State fan brings this topic up its seen as tree fans complaining again and thinking Jake Odum is god, but if other people do it then it is seen as a good way to spark discussion? I see.... :huh:

I said my comments within this thread were to spark discussion, which they did. Furthermore, I did not start this thread, nor have I ever started a Jake Odum, or Indiana State thread.

I have yet to chime in on which player is better, which player is more valuable to their team and I haven't declared either Fairfield or Campbell as better competition. I have stated for a while that it is way to early to start crowning players or teams.

My sole contribution is since we are having this discussion, is to ask people to look at the entire picture. In contrast, we have people that can't look beyond the triple-double. I concur a triple-double is impressive, but a triple-double is a combination of three individual stats, of which, Dougie McDecommitt was better in two. Does that mean Doug is a better player? No! Does the triple-double mean that Odum is better? No! But it all can lead to discussion.

And before we start criticizing these silly Indiana State/ Odum threads, it was a Tree fan that started the 9-0 Trees vs. #7 Vandy thread. Those threads are what spawned these threads. Should we all simply ignore it every time one of those threads pop up? Since last spring, that would give us plenty of Tree fan initiated threads in which to ignore.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Chuck » November 29th, 2011, 3:46 pm

I am going to guess that actually they would tie because I highly doubt every assist odium had came from 2-pointers...It was just a parameter to judge a great facilitator of the game.
Both guys are deserving. Both are valuable, the pissing contests have to stop what are we 8? Tree fans have made some crazy comments in the past but they aren't more annoying than any other fan base it's just they were the last to see success.
From the desk of Charles Bartowski
Chuck
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdmanBB » November 29th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Chuck wrote:I am going to guess that actually they would tie because I highly doubt every assist odium had came from 2-pointers...It was just a parameter to judge a great facilitator of the game.
Both guys are deserving. Both are valuable, the pissing contests have to stop what are we 8? Tree fans have made some crazy comments in the past but they aren't more annoying than any other fan base it's just they were the last to see success.

Nice guess, but you are wrong. It is clear that McDermott was more deserving as he was the one who won the actual award. discussion over. :wink:

oh and Indiana St. is going to finish 5th or worse this year. discuss......

:lol:

-You guys get too riled up. It is clear that we are all college basketball experts here.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Chuck » November 29th, 2011, 4:46 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:
Chuck wrote:I am going to guess that actually they would tie because I highly doubt every assist odium had came from 2-pointers...It was just a parameter to judge a great facilitator of the game.

Nice guess, but you are wrong. It is clear that McDermott was more deserving as he was the one who won the actual award. discussion over. :wink:

oh and Indiana St. is going to finish 5th or worse this year. discuss......

:lol:

-You guys get too riled up. It is clear that we are all college basketball experts here.

No one on this website is an expert don't kid yourself. It's trolling though to make comments like that while only trying to start crap isn't it?
On the flip side I think plenty of asshattedness has been shown on this website by a plenty of different fan bases so lets try some new material.
From the desk of Charles Bartowski
Chuck
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball