Occupy Terre Haute

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Occupy Terre Haute

Postby Ali » November 29th, 2011, 8:24 am

Doug McDermott wins MVC Player of the Week again despite Odum having the first MVC triple double in like 20 years. I suspect the Terre Hautians will be protesting about the man keeping them down soon.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Occupy Terre Haute

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Occupy Terre Haute

Postby Red » November 29th, 2011, 11:29 am

Like it or not, McDermott is the media darling and everything he does will be magnified as long as he is at Creighton.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » November 29th, 2011, 12:01 pm

At the risk of starting a firestorm, I will chime in and defend Doug McDecommitt.

A triple-double is an impressive feat. But at the same time, it is a conjured up stat. Like a mortgage derivative. That not withstanding, a triple-double is very, very impressive. But does a triple-double trump everything else? In my opinion, no. It trumps a lot, but not everything. And not all triple-doubles are alike. And dare I say this, Odum's triple-double met the bare minimum of triple-doubles. His line was 10 pts, 10 rebs and 10 assists. Yes, a triple double, but a mere one less of anything and there is no discussion.

On the other hand, Doug McDecommitt's line vs. Campbell was 31, 11 and 2. A solid double-double. Doug had 8 less assists, but scored 21 more points and came up with one more board than did Odum in his game vs. Fairfield. To value Odum's triple-double effort more than Doug's double-double, you must put so much weight on the 8 additional assists tallied by Odum, that you completely disregard the additional 21 points and 1 extra rebound tallied by Dougie McDecommitt.

To simply say Odum carded a triple-double and should receive the POW award is overly simplistic. I know that if Dougie McDecommitt's double-double wasn't good enough to trump Odum's triple-double, it's very very close and worthy of being in the discussion.

If nothing else, this spices up the board.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » November 29th, 2011, 12:10 pm

MoValley John wrote:At the risk of starting a firestorm, I will chime in and defend Doug McDecommitt.

A triple-double is an impressive feat. But at the same time, it is a conjured up stat. Like a mortgage derivative. That not withstanding, a triple-double is very, very impressive. But does a triple-double trump everything else? In my opinion, no. It trumps a lot, but not everything. And not all triple-doubles are alike. And dare I say this, Odum's triple-double met the bare minimum of triple-doubles. His line was 10 pts, 10 rebs and 10 assists. Yes, a triple double, but a mere one less of anything and there is no discussion.

On the other hand, Doug McDecommitt's line vs. Campbell was 31, 11 and 2. A solid double-double. Doug had 8 less assists, but scored 21 more points and came up with one more board than did Odum in his game vs. Fairfield. To value Odum's triple-double effort more than Doug's double-double, you must put so much weight on the 8 additional assists tallied by Odum, that you completely disregard the additional 21 points and 1 extra rebound tallied by Dougie McDecommitt.

To simply say Odum carded a triple-double and should receive the POW award is overly simplistic. I know that if Dougie McDecommitt's double-double wasn't good enough to trump Odum's triple-double, it's very very close and worthy of being in the discussion.

If nothing else, this spices up the board.

this debate is simply answered by which performance would you want Dougies 31 pts and 11 RBDS or Mr. Plantar Fasciatis 10 pts, 10 RBDS for your team? I would take Dougies performance.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » November 29th, 2011, 12:14 pm

I don't think there will be any arguments against Doug winning this award aside from Indiana St. fans. I have no problem with it. Doug is the real deal.

Indiana St. as a team on the other hand still has a bunch to prove. Granted they are 6-1, but none of their wins really look that impressive to date. Only time will tell, but I still think last years tourney was a fluke.
Last edited by BirdmanBB on November 29th, 2011, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » November 29th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Once again a topic involving Jake Odum not started by sycamore fans. Doug had a fine week and so did Odum. I'd say Odum played against a little tougher competition so i'd give it to him but nothing to riot about. Oh and Odum had 12 not 10 assists against Fairfield.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoValley John » November 29th, 2011, 12:42 pm

jackwagon wrote:Once again a topic involving Jake Odum not started by sycamore fans. Doug had a fine week and so did Odum. I'd say Odum played against a little tougher competition so i'd give it to him but nothing to riot about. Oh and Odum had 12 not 10 assists against Fairfield.

Whoops, I was wrong on the assist line, Odum went 10, 10, 12. McDecommitt went 31, 11, 2. I also think it is way too early to say that Fairfield > Campbell, or Campbell > Fairfield. RealTime RPI has Campbell at 31, Fairfield at 98. KenPom has Campbell at 182 and Fairfield at 102. Depending on whom you chose to source, one may appear better than the other. Also, Fairfield is 3-4 while Campbell is 5-1. I'm not sold on either of them being any better than the other.

As for who started the thread, it wasn't me.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » November 29th, 2011, 2:01 pm

The MVC is big enough for both fine players. Who cares which one is better than this or better than that? I look forward to seeing both of them do well.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Chuck » November 29th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Finding that people complain about Odum being brought up so much but yet go out of their way to make Topics about it...I would bet pretty much everyone has a lot of posts concerning the Trees...I think both players are deserving, not sure that I could pick one over the other but to slight Odum's triple double isn't exactly a fair thought. Just look at the points attributed towards the final score (Taking rebounds out of the equation) Odum at the lowest with his 10 points plus 24 (All assists would be coming off 2 pointers) attributed 34 points. Don't forget to mention those three Steals...
From the desk of Charles Bartowski
Chuck
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Chuck » November 29th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Ace Dad wrote:The MVC is big enough for both fine players. Who cares which one is better than this or better than that? I look forward to seeing both of them do well.

Couldn't agree more on this note; tired of seeing this pissing contest.
From the desk of Charles Bartowski
Chuck
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball