NORTHERN IOWA @ Iowa State (11/30 7PM)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NORTHERN IOWA @ Iowa State (11/30 7PM)

Postby shocker3 » December 1st, 2011, 12:47 am

Congrats to UNI! Another nice road win for the Valley.
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Khan4Cats » December 1st, 2011, 7:50 am

Was a nice win for UNI. This team is looking better each game and playing in the system already. Young team fought off a rally on the road against an extremely physical and athletic team and stuck with the system to pull out the win.

Heinro wrote:Sorry for the insanely long post. Just BCS morons like these are the real joke.

Just wait, we get Iowa next week, hopefully we play well enough to really rile up their fanbase.

We deal with this constantly. I am sure Shocker fans have to as well, and I guess I should be grateful that UNI at least gets the chance to shut the BcSers up when we actually play. Wish the Shockers could get the same chance.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » December 1st, 2011, 11:52 am

Khan4Cats wrote:
Just wait, we get Iowa next week, hopefully we play well enough to really rile up their fanbase.

We deal with this constantly. I am sure Shocker fans have to as well, and I guess I should be grateful that UNI at least gets the chance to shut the BcSers up when we actually play. Wish the Shockers could get the same chance.

Actually, its probably worse for them. Because KU and KSU can talk crap, and not have to back it up. At least we can make Iowa and ISU look like idiots every year. WSU doesn't even get the chance.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoBraves » December 1st, 2011, 12:41 pm

valleychamp wrote:UNI is really surpassing my expectations thus far. Other than the St Marys game, they have looked really good this year. Freshman Seth Tuttle has been great so far, and had 9 pts and 12 rebounds again tonight.

Great win tonight on the road.

I'm surprised that people were picking UNI so low this year. AJ is a 1st teamer, JK & Sonnen proved they were pretty good their freshman years, they have excellent outside shooters, take care of the ball, play solid D. Only weakness might still be the inside game, but I think they'll hold their own, and yes, Tuttle is looking really good stats-wise.
UNI has played like a Top 3 MVC team so far - maybe the best behind CU.
NCAA tourney is not out of the question for them, especially with their success under Jacobsen.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MoBraves » December 1st, 2011, 12:46 pm

Heinro wrote:
I try and keep thing in perspective and not get overly worked up when we lose but I don't see how we lose to Drake and UNI and beat somewhat decent teams like Providence and Rice. I just want us to play consistent and we can't seem to put 40 minutes of good basketball together.

First wonderfully dumb post. UNI also beat Providence and Rice. Unbelievable. Now they should be upset about losing to Drake, I know that I will be if WSU does this season.

I really think it is a joke to be beat by UNI 5 out of the last 6 years, and the last 3 times in Hilton. I am sorry but this is a joke.

Maybe its time to face the facts that BCS and Big 12 money doesn't mean everything. You might be able to recruit better talent but that does not equate to being a better program. UNI has been consistently better for years.

I think the deal is college basketball is more equal now a days. With what UNI did a couple of years ago and VCU and Butler the past two seasons.

those teams are jokes. those teams would get pounded playing top tier opponents two times a week

What do I even say to this? PLAY US!

There are so many of the mid major teams that you are always gonna have one go on a roll and stir up march madness. But theres a reason they are mid majors and if they played division 1 teams week in and week out they would not even make the tourney! We got out coached and out played. But the team with the most talented players did not win. The team that played as a team won. Thats partly on the coach and partly on the players. Not the talent level.

What constitutes a Division 1 team? :huh: I guess WSU does play Newman at some point.

Secondly, basketball is a TEAM game; get your talent to play better as a team and maybe you will win. Besides I would argue that UNI is quite talented and just as inexperienced, mind you I don't know too much about ISU's roster.

Cracks me up that their old coach books it out of there and is having far more success.

Did butler not make the final four the past two seasons. And by the way if you get there once its not luck.

they can keep there guys more fresh because there not getting killed in the regular season everynight. this is a classic example of why i like the bcs. non bcs schools have no buisness playing for a national title

Come play in the Valley, see how fresh your team stays. Valley is just as much of a grind, obviously since our teams consistently beat them. How many Valley schools has UNI beat 5 out of the last 6 contests, 3 on the road?

Non-BCS schools have no business playing for the title only because they can beat you? Be careful what you wish for; if Texas decides to leave town, you might not be able to consider yourself all high and mighty when you don't have the Big 12 backing you.

Sorry for the insanely long post. Just BCS morons like these are the real joke.

Liked reading your reactions! Let's just see how Iowa St. does vs. UNI if they played each other 6 times this season. Probably they win 1 time, just like it's been the last 6 years.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » December 1st, 2011, 3:04 pm

MoBraves wrote:
valleychamp wrote:UNI is really surpassing my expectations thus far. Other than the St Marys game, they have looked really good this year. Freshman Seth Tuttle has been great so far, and had 9 pts and 12 rebounds again tonight.

Great win tonight on the road.

I'm surprised that people were picking UNI so low this year. AJ is a 1st teamer, JK & Sonnen proved they were pretty good their freshman years, they have excellent outside shooters, take care of the ball, play solid D. Only weakness might still be the inside game, but I think they'll hold their own, and yes, Tuttle is looking really good stats-wise.
UNI has played like a Top 3 MVC team so far - maybe the best behind CU.
NCAA tourney is not out of the question for them, especially with their success under Jacobsen.

To assume we continue at this pace and finish second is higher than any UNI fan is thinking right now, but your reasoning is exactly why UNI fans thought a 4th place finish wasn't out of the question for this team - yet no one believed it.

We don't have that "big name" like we did the last two years but there is a ton of experience in the guard play, and with any sort of post presence...which Tuttle and Pehl have given UNI...this could be a better year than most projected.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 1st, 2011, 5:19 pm

Unfortunately, I've only seen the worst half of basketball that UNI played all year. That said, UNI is definately rising in the power rankings. Creighton is currently head-and-shoulders above and then Indiana State, UNI, Missouri State, and WSU are all begging to be the bridesmaid. There are cases for and against all four to be the #2.

UNI will need a more consistent level of success from it's upperclassmen guards, I think, in order to claim the two spot throughout the year. Same with Koch down low, but Tuttle has been a nice suprise!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball