OT: Roy Williams thin skinned?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby unipanther99 » November 30th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Maybe he should just use some of his $1.5million salary to buy up every seat within earshot of the bench. Is there a bigger crybaby coach in all of college basketball?

Upset that some UNC fans sold their tickets to UNLV fans close to the bench last week:
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 6/33584368

Upset at critial callers on his phone-in show last year (a show he no doubt gets paid to take part in):
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... dio-show/1

Has a Presbyterian fan kicked out at the Dean Dome for saying "Hey Deon, don't miss it," during a free throw towards the end of a blowout UNC win two years ago:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aab-208335
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: OT: Roy Williams thin skinned?

Postby valleychamp » November 30th, 2011, 5:43 pm

The guy was probably a Missouri St fan, taunting Roy about his fear of playing them.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » November 30th, 2011, 5:49 pm

I don't have a problem at all with Roy Williams on this because I think he is right.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » November 30th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:I don't have a problem at all with Roy Williams on this because I think he is right.

Fans selling tickets behind the bench to opposing fans..... Bad plan. Roy was right.

Getting a kid tossed for a harmless barb before a free throw.... Over the top! Bad move Roy! And besides, shouldn't the head coach have more pressing issues than listening to fan noise?

Lambasting your fan base on a radio call in show.... I'm on the fence. Fans pay the light bill. It's a good practice to not bite the hand that feeds you. Then again, most fans on call in shows are idiots. They're fun to listen to, but idiots none the less. Roy was probably right, but could have handled it better.

And he needs to quit ducking Missouri State!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 30th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Roy's ego really seemed to swell when he went East. I suppose that was inevitable though.

You thugs need to quit picking on poor MSU.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » December 1st, 2011, 8:01 pm

The crap gets old from his perspective.

I think he is ok.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » December 1st, 2011, 9:36 pm

Ace Dad wrote:The crap gets old from his perspective.

I think he is ok.

What crap? What is his perspective? Are you talking about the same crap spewed at every other coach? In most cases, I'd agree, but in my opinion, one of the highest paid coaches in one of the most visible programs in the country should know the territory and be able to handle criticism a little bit better than most other coaches. Roy Williams should have a different perspective than most. From his perspective, as you wrote, in my opinion, he should be above all of the noise. He is well compensated as the coach of one of the most successful and scrutinized programs in college basketball history. He should know who is paying the bills, his perspective should be to not bite the hand that feeds. I sympathize with the underpaid coaches trying to compete at underfunded programs, but that is not Roy Williams. While I'm not overly critical of the incidents posted, Roy should do better. He certainly knew all of this came with the job.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pawball » December 1st, 2011, 9:41 pm

Think maybe you are taking a take on ol' Roy on this here Valley board a bit too serious, Ace. Nah, second thot, everyone before you was. What the he** am I doing here? Like many D-I coaches, Roy blows out the amp meter.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » December 1st, 2011, 10:36 pm

glm38 wrote:Roy's ego really seemed to swell when he went East. I suppose that was inevitable though.

That wasn't possible. His ego at KU pegged the meter. It couldn't possibly have swelled when he moved east.

After one game at KU when he thought the crowd should have been louder, he called KU fans a "whine and cheese" crowd more interested in demonstrating the luxury of attending KU games than supporting the team. While that is accurate about most KU crowds, a coach criticizing a sell-out crowd that's paying his salary is pretty cheesy.

WSU got a recruit (Maurice Evans) that Williams wanted at KU. Williams turned WSU in to the NCAA. Just the theory that WSU had to cheat to get a recruit that Roy wanted was enough to get a full-blown NCAA investigation. The NCAA found that a practice had gone too long.

Unable to get anything accomplished through the NCAA, Williams went to family members of Evans until he found one or two that he could convince that Maurice could never get into the NBA if he played at WSU.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball