Mountain West - Missouri Valley Conference Challenge

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » December 1st, 2011, 9:45 pm

I'm really looking forward to this weekend. There is the potential for a couple of great games, but I think the MVC will win the challenge.

Nov. 30 Creighton 85 San Diego State 83 (MVC 1-0)
Dec. 3 Air Force at Drake
Dec. 3 Indiana State at Boise State
Dec. 3 Colorado State at Northern Iowa
Dec. 3 Missouri State at New Mexico
Dec. 3 TCU at Evansville
Dec. 3 Bradley at Wyoming
Dec. 4 UNLV at Wichita State

link: The MVC Report
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Mountain West - Missouri Valley Conference Challenge

Postby pawball » December 1st, 2011, 11:48 pm

I agree, and worse case would be dead-even, unless things go completely bluuuuey.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bigdawg » December 2nd, 2011, 8:56 am

MVCfans wrote:I'm really looking forward to this weekend. There is the potential for a couple of great games, but I think the MVC will win the challenge.

Dec. 3 TCU at Evansville

Drake
Boise St
UNI
New Mexico
Evansville
Wyoming
UNLV

I guess that makes it a 4-4 spilt. Maybe the Fresno- Illinois St game in the tiebreaker.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 2nd, 2011, 10:11 am

MVCfans wrote:I'm really looking forward to this weekend. There is the potential for a couple of great games, but I think the MVC will win the challenge.

Dec. 3 TCU at Evansville

Key games are the ones involving the top 5 participants.

If UNI and WSU can hold home court, and Indiana St and Missouri St can sneak wins out on the road, we will be golden and the other games won't matter. I do think it will be pretty difficult for MSu to win at The Pit and I'm not sure that WSu is playing well enough right now to squeak one out at home.

I don't know how to handicap the Indiana St/Boise St match. I can't decide if Boise is as good as they looked against drake or if Drake was just that abysmal. I tend to think the latter as Boise was predicted to finish toward the bottom of the MWC.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaliJay » December 2nd, 2011, 10:45 am

IMO this is a must-win for WSU. If all the home teams can come out with a W, we will take whatever W's we can get on the road. I know it seems a little early to label a Dec. 4th game as a must-win, but if WSU wants to dance, they HAVE to win this game. Either that, or dominate the MVC which I don't see happening.

I'd like to think Boise St. had a fluke game against Drake. I see the Sycamores winning that game. If we can win our home games, and steal another one on the road on top of Creighton winning, I would consider MVC<MWC this year.
CaliJay
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BirdmanBB » December 2nd, 2011, 10:51 am

WSU definitely needs to win this one. If MSU could somehow pull off a win at the Pit then I think the valley is definitely in business for 3 bids.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » December 2nd, 2011, 10:56 am

Drake
Boise
UNI
New Mexico
TCU
Wyoming
UNLV

Better than last year, but not good enough.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » December 2nd, 2011, 11:32 am

BirdmanBB wrote:WSU definitely needs to win this one. If MSU could somehow pull off a win at the Pit then I think the valley is definitely in business for 3 bids.

Crazy that the Shox might be in "must win" situation already for an at large, but it's probably accurate. On the other hand, don't overlook UNI. They've made a much better statement than either WSU or MSU so far.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » December 2nd, 2011, 11:42 am

bigdawg wrote:
BirdmanBB wrote:WSU definitely needs to win this one. If MSU could somehow pull off a win at the Pit then I think the valley is definitely in business for 3 bids.

Crazy that the Shox might be in "must win" situation already for an at large, but it's probably accurate. On the other hand, don't overlook UNI. They've made a much better statement than either WSU or MSU so far.

I agree. I don't think their chances have been as strong as WSU's, but they have wins over a solid ODU team along with a win over a Big East team in Providence, a big 12 team in Iowa St. and hopefully soon to be wins over Colorado St. (who pulled off a win over Colorado recently) and Iowa. These are definitely winnable for UNI, but I think one game that might be a bit overshadowed is their game at home against Ohio who won a solid game at Marshall who is a CUSA favorite and a near loss at Louisville.

At this point, I would say UNI has some really good opportunities. They don't have an opportunity to pull off a huge win, but I think they have a chance at enough solid wins to be in consideration. Had they won at St. Mary's one could argue that they currently have the best resume in the valley at this point in time.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » December 2nd, 2011, 2:07 pm

bigdawg wrote: On the other hand, don't overlook UNI. They've made a much better statement than either WSU or MSU so far.

I'm glad someone has noticed. UNI is setting things up for an at large if they continue on this path.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball