Points Scored Per Shot Taken

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Points Scored Per Shot Taken

Postby Aargh » December 3rd, 2011, 2:17 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
valleychamp wrote:
Aargh wrote:Then there's the bottom 10 - you do not want the ball in the hands of these guys. These guys will put it up, but won't get points out of it:

UNI James, Anthony

Thats insane.

It is. The St. Mary's game must really be bringing his down. It is also surprising to me how high Jake Koch is on these lists. He seems to take bad shots, and miss them way more often than AJ, but I guess the stats tell a different story.

I thought the big complaints would come from Odum fans, but it's James getting the love.

I decided to take a look at James without the St. Mary's game (1/15 FG, 0/0 FT, 2 pts). I might point out that with the St. Mary's game in James' stats, he just barely missed the bottom 10 without throws. James had a .86 rating, which was the 11th worst.

Without the St. Mary's game, James' numbers go to 1.34 with throws and 1.03 without throws. Both of those are very typical numbers for the Valley. 1.34 would be 22nd out of 54 players averaging 20+ minutes. So, without James' worst game, he's performing slightly better than the average Valley regular player. If I were to throw out everybody's worst game to even the comparison back up, I suspect James would be very "middle of the road" in Valley shooting efficiency.

Of the 54 players averaging 20+ minutes:
Median = 1.29
Mean = 1.32
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bleach » December 3rd, 2011, 2:54 pm

While that stat is a great test of productivity, it's kind of like looking at school grades after a few papers are done. Way to early to indicate accurately. Just a couple bad games really skews the results.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball