Points Scored Per Shot Taken

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Aargh » December 2nd, 2011, 4:40 pm

I mentioned this stat in the Weems/McDermott thread and thought it would be interesting to look at the entire Valley. I've looked at it 2 ways - with and without FT's. With FT's rewards players who get to the line a lot and make their throws, so it's a legit stat.

I only included players averaging 20+ minutes per game.

Here are the top 10 with FT's included:

UE Harris, Kenny 1.92
UNI Koch, Jake 1.87
IlSU Wilkins,John 1.74
InSU Lathan, Dwayne 1.73
IlSU Carmichael,Jackie 1.71
CU Gibbs,Grant 1.69
DU Clarke, Jordan 1.58
CU McDermott,Doug 1.54
UE Taylor, Troy 1.53
CU Manigat,Jahenns 1.51

Then there's the bottom 10 - you do not want the ball in the hands of these guys. These guys will put it up, but won't get points out of it:

SIU Setty, Treg 1.11
SIU Daniels, Dantiel 1.11
UNI James, Anthony 1.11
SIU Bocot, Justin 1.1
InSU Richard, Carl 1.08
InSU McWhorter, Steve 1.06
UNI Moran, Johnny 1.02
WSU Williams, Demetric 0.92
BU Eastman, Jake 0.92
MSU Weems,Kyle 0.83

Looking at this without FT's give you a feel for decision-making. It's obvious that taking good, makable shots is what shows up in this stat:

Top 10:
CU McDermott,Doug 1.4
UNI Koch, Jake 1.33
IlSU Ekey,Jon 1.31
CU Manigat,Jahenns 1.3
MSU Downing,Anthony 1.3
UE Harris, Kenny 1.26
IlSU Brown,Tyler 1.24
DU Simons, Ben 1.21
IlSU Wilkins,John 1.21
WSU Ragland, Joe 1.19

Bottom 10:
UNI Moran, Johnny 0.85
SIU Taylor, Diamond 0.83
WSU Williams, Demetric 0.8
InSU Odum, Jake 0.79
SIU Bocot, Justin 0.77
DU Madison, Karl 0.73
BU Eastman, Jake 0.72
MSU Weems,Kyle 0.71
SIU Swan, Josh 0.47
SIU Daniels, Dantiel 0.44

Is there a way that SIU can only have Seck touch the ball?
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Points Scored Per Shot Taken

Postby pafan » December 2nd, 2011, 4:46 pm

What a strange coincidence. Four SIU players in the bottom 10 :Violin:
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby glm38 » December 2nd, 2011, 4:49 pm

Some very interesting stats there. I'm not surprised at Weems low rating. He just hasn't played well offensively so far. But I've got faith that he'll pick it up and play at last year's level though. Downing has played very well for us. He would start for a lot of MVC teams.

McDermott's just tearing it up this year. He's just a very very good player. Long term it will be interesting to see if his talent translates to the next level.

Is Johnny Moran in a shooting slump? I always thought he was a pretty good shooter? He certainly shot the lights out against us a few times.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » December 2nd, 2011, 4:54 pm

Aargh wrote:Then there's the bottom 10 - you do not want the ball in the hands of these guys. These guys will put it up, but won't get points out of it:

UNI James, Anthony

Thats insane.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » December 2nd, 2011, 5:05 pm

glm38 wrote:Some very interesting stats there. I'm not surprised at Weems low rating. He just hasn't played well offensively so far. I've got faith that he'll pick it up play at last year's level though. Downing has played very well for us. He would start for a lot of MVC teams.

McDermott's just tearing it up this year. He's just a very very good player. Long term it will be interesting to see if his talent translates to the next level.

The funny thing about it is that opposing message boards are all having debates over McDermott's ability to play in the NBA. It was debated on the SDSU message board after the game Wednesday. http://www.aztecmesa.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ats&action=display&thread=18120

Personally, I don't see him sniffing the NBA, but what do I know? I don't think he's big enough or quick enough. I don't think his defense is all that great, either. Just a ho hum kid from Iowa. He really looks the part of a player from a a high school team made better because of a highly touted, NC recruit. To me, when the game starts, it just doesn't appear that he belongs on a college court, either. He's scrawny and not at all flashy. There is no reason for me to think he should have ever been recruited, he was just an Iowa kid with gaudy stats . Then he makes a basket, two, three and then 12. He shoots free throws well and puts himself in position to make plays over what appear more athletic players. At the end of the night, he will have a double double, a few assists and a steal or two.

So much for what I know and so much for my eye test...
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » December 2nd, 2011, 5:24 pm

I see what you are saying MVCJ but I think he (McDermott) is more athletic and stronger than he seems. In some ways he reminds me of Tyler Hansborough. Hansborough was slightly taller and certainly stronger and more of an inside player. But they are both guys that get the maximum from their ability. In my opinion Doug is a lot more skilled player than him (Tyler). If Hansborough can prosper in the NBA like he has then I think Doug has a shot.

And even if his particular talent doesn't translate to the NBA it certainly doesn't take away from his ability at the college level.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Heinro » December 3rd, 2011, 12:54 am

Creighton should be glad that his NBA capability is questionable. Keeps him around the next 3 years. Hayward and Leonard both went pro after their huge sophomore seasons, imagine if they had stayed.
Thoughts and prayers to WSU finding a new conference.
Heinro
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 3rd, 2011, 9:54 am

MoValley John wrote:
glm38 wrote:Some very interesting stats there. I'm not surprised at Weems low rating. He just hasn't played well offensively so far. I've got faith that he'll pick it up play at last year's level though. Downing has played very well for us. He would start for a lot of MVC teams.

The funny thing about it is that opposing message boards are all having debates over McDermott's ability to play in the NBA. It was debated on the SDSU message board after the game Wednesday. http://www.aztecmesa.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ats&action=display&thread=18120

Personally, I don't see him sniffing the NBA, but what do I know? I don't think he's big enough or quick enough. I don't think his defense is all that great, either. Just a ho hum kid from Iowa. He really looks the part of a player from a a high school team made better because of a highly touted, NC recruit. To me, when the game starts, it just doesn't appear that he belongs on a college court, either. He's scrawny and not at all flashy. There is no reason for me to think he should have ever been recruited, he was just an Iowa kid with gaudy stats . Then he makes a basket, two, three and then 12. He shoots free throws well and puts himself in position to make plays over what appear more athletic players. At the end of the night, he will have a double double, a few assists and a steal or two.

So much for what I know and so much for my eye test...

Ah the old he is white and from Iowa eye test. The kid is absolutely more athletic than a lot of people give him credit for. Can he play in the NBA? Well that is still yet to be seen, but I can't see why not. At 6'8 he can handle the ball pretty well, and he can shoot. He has great inside moves, and very good nose for the ball. If anyone in the Valley this year could play in the NBA it is Doug. We will just have to wait and see because I don't think he is going to leave early.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 3rd, 2011, 9:56 am

valleychamp wrote:
Aargh wrote:Then there's the bottom 10 - you do not want the ball in the hands of these guys. These guys will put it up, but won't get points out of it:

UNI James, Anthony

Thats insane.

It is. The St. Mary's game must really be bringing his down. It is also surprising to me how high Jake Koch is on these lists. He seems to take bad shots, and miss them way more often than AJ, but I guess the stats tell a different story.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jet915 » December 3rd, 2011, 10:50 am

I would highly be surprised if Dougie Fresh left early. Especially since his dad is the coach, he'd probably want Doug to get his degree plus it's job security for MAC :D .
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball