Indiana State @ Boise State 10 pm EST

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Indiana State @ Boise State 10 pm EST

Postby FearDaTrees » December 4th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Yeah our season is definitely over now....you can't lose two games and expect to get in (Good call Jets). This isn't a bad loss, granted no loss is a good loss but either way this was a road game against the 9th best PPG team in the country. We didn't play good and we had our oppurtunities but still this is a team that will be fighting for an at large at the end of the year. It's a long season, just calm down.
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoBraves » December 4th, 2011, 8:07 pm

MVCfans wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:Teetering back on the edge of 1-bid status with these putrid results.

I'd argue that CU, WSU, and UNI all have legitimate chances.

I agree Mr. MVCfans. And I've been pretty pessimistic about the Valley's chances to get more than 2 in all season. Great last couple games have really helped UNI.
Those 3 are only ones to have a real shot though, unless Indy St. or MSU win the Valley outright.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jet915 » December 4th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Losing to two teams that likely will not go to the NCAA tournament in non-conference (especially since Minnesota no longer has Mbakwe) are not gonna help your at-large chances. Granted, if ISUB runs the table the rest of nonconference (meaning beating Vandy), wins their bracketbuster and is 1-3 in the MVC league standings, there is a chance...........I just said that their bubble "likely" popped caused I don't see all that happening.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoBraves » December 4th, 2011, 8:10 pm

FearDaTrees wrote:Yeah our season is definitely over now....you can't lose two games and expect to get in (Good call Jets). This isn't a bad loss, granted no loss is a good loss but either way this was a road game against the 9th best PPG team in the country. We didn't play good and we had our oppurtunities but still this is a team that will be fighting for an at large at the end of the year. It's a long season, just calm down.

Wait a sec. Weren't you guys supposed to be 9-0 to start the season?
Trees are in trouble. Any more non-conf. games that xould look good on resume?
I don't recall you guys with any quality wins so far.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PowderBlue » December 4th, 2011, 11:10 pm

MoBraves wrote:Wait a sec. Weren't you guys supposed to be 9-0 to start the season?
Trees are in trouble. Any more non-conf. games that xould look good on resume?
I don't recall you guys with any quality wins so far.

The trees are in trouble if the interior players other than Myles don't start contributing on the boards and defensively. 8 games in and the two leading rebounders are the starting point guard and a 6'4" swingman coming off the bench. You can't expect to beat teams with size if you can't win battles in the paint. The Sycs are 322 in the country in rebounds/game. I wasn't completely sure that there were 322 division one basketball programs in the country!

That being said, the problems the Sycs have are definitely fixable. Boxing out has nothing to do with talent. It has to do with positioning, instinct, and effort. Cutting down turnovers comes from not playing out of control.

Consistency throughout the game is my biggest concern as a fan.

As far as you calling out quality wins...there is a chance Ball State eeks into the top 100 RPI. There is no chance, imo, that Wisc. GB or Fairfield stay there. We knew that coming into the season, though. What hurts more than a lack of quality wins - considering 6 MVC teams are in the top 100 on realtime at the moment - is the questionable loss column. Boise will hurt. Sycs will need to show well from now until BB pairings are announced to get another shot at a quality non-con outside of Vandy.
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby PowderBlue » December 4th, 2011, 11:17 pm

2livewu wrote:3rd reason. Boise State is a better team. BSU isn't likely to get an at large unless they finish 1-2 in the MVC and run the table against a weak non con schedule that includes 1 likely NCAA tournament team.

The Trees are very well coached, very disciplined, they play solid D and they do what they do very well. They just don't have "at large" talent or a schedule. I suppose it's possible if they beat Vandy and win the Valley they could get one, but I think we all know that's not going to happen, and if it does, the rest of the Valley isn't as good as we thought. They aren't as good as MSU's team last year, and neither is their schedule, so I doubt it's going to happen.

The Trees will do what they do every year, play for 3 (or 4) days in March.

I enjoy how you point out the things ISU does well, and then proceed to talk about how they'll play well (I'm presuming you mean ONLY) for the weekend in March.

Classy.

Also, Missouri State's biggest non-con win last year was over Oral Roberts (RPI 131). They played three teams that ended in the top 100 and lost to them all. Minnesota (with Mbakwe) and Vandy EASILY end the year in the top 100. Lastly...ISUb was 2-1 vs. MOST last year...and is supposedly a better team this year.

Fiction can be fun, though!
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Red » December 5th, 2011, 11:24 am

Indiana State will not get an at large based on this performance. Don't complain that we're treating the Sycs unfairly either because you have to win games like this to earn respect.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby gtmoBlue » December 9th, 2011, 8:30 am

C'mon Trees!! Don't wait until March to do your thing...

I have predicted the Trees as #2 or #3 in the MVC. Get
your stuff in gear Trees!

Go sycs !
When in doubt...Be Bold!
gtmoBlue
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby 2livewu » December 9th, 2011, 2:09 pm

PowderBlue wrote:
2livewu wrote:3rd reason. Boise State is a better team. BSU isn't likely to get an at large unless they finish 1-2 in the MVC and run the table against a weak non con schedule that includes 1 likely NCAA tournament team.

The Trees are very well coached, very disciplined, they play solid D and they do what they do very well. They just don't have "at large" talent or a schedule. I suppose it's possible if they beat Vandy and win the Valley they could get one, but I think we all know that's not going to happen, and if it does, the rest of the Valley isn't as good as we thought. They aren't as good as MSU's team last year, and neither is their schedule, so I doubt it's going to happen.

The Trees will do what they do every year, play for 3 (or 4) days in March.

I enjoy how you point out the things ISU does well, and then proceed to talk about how they'll play well (I'm presuming you mean ONLY) for the weekend in March.

Classy.

Also, Missouri State's biggest non-con win last year was over Oral Roberts (RPI 131). They played three teams that ended in the top 100 and lost to them all. Minnesota (with Mbakwe) and Vandy EASILY end the year in the top 100. Lastly...ISUb was 2-1 vs. MOST last year...and is supposedly a better team this year.

Fiction can be fun, though!

I did no such thing. I didn't say "they'll play well .......in March". I said they will play FOR the 3 or 4 days in March as they always do.

Let me explain since you didn't understand. Your program can't sniff an at large. There is little if anything that's important for your team until March. That's what you play for...those (hopefully) 3 or more often than not, 4 days that will extend your season. I didn't say the Trees historically have played well in March, nor am I suggesting they will play well this year. I only commented those are the only important days for them.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 12th, 2011, 10:20 am

How is Odum doing?

Is he around 50% from the field and 40% from 3.

I suppose his a/to ratio is 3-1 or so.

Will he be a first round draft choice?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball