Evansville at North Carolina (Tues, Dec 6)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville at North Carolina (Tues, Dec 6)

Postby shockerengr » December 7th, 2011, 12:48 pm

UE 71 wrote:
NeutralObserver wrote:
Wufan wrote:For anyone that thinks Colt pads his stats in garbage time, he only got 9 after the game was out of reach.

It wasn't because he wasn't trying to. Still in the game against 4th string players with 4 minutes to go trying to shoot and finally making ONE basket. He is a stats stuffer when the game is on the way to being a loss everytime, but UNC would not make it be easy for him and you see the result.

By your logic (and others), there is no need to continue to run your offense and try to score once the game result has been determined or out of hand. By this logic the team should simply walk off the court and declare the game over. Such a sophomoric point of view.

Or, when a game is out of hand, you sub in guys who may not help in that game, but need experience...and try and work towards the future. There are points when the present is a lost cause, but there may be greater benefit in working on improving your future, rather than continuing to run a one man show.
shockerengr
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby havoc » December 7th, 2011, 12:54 pm

shockerengr wrote:
UE 71 wrote:
By your logic (and others), there is no need to continue to run your offense and try to score once the game result has been determined or out of hand. By this logic the team should simply walk off the court and declare the game over. Such a sophomoric point of view.

Or, when a game is out of hand, you sub in guys who may not help in that game, but need experience...and try and work towards the future. There are points when the present is a lost cause, but there may be greater benefit in working on improving your future, rather than continuing to run a one man show.

Bingo. This is something that the coaching staff at UE doesn't seem to feel the need to do. How a guy shoots 1-11 from the field and stil plays 32 minuets in a 50 point blowout is beyond me.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aces1982 » December 7th, 2011, 1:51 pm

havoc wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:List of schools this year that lost to UNC by less than tonight's margin:

UNC-Asheville (16 points)
Mississippi Valley State (26 points)
Tennessee State (33 points)

And then there's the 49 point shellacking that wasn't even in the same ballpark. A SWAC school nearly had twice a closer margin than a Valley team that was supposedly "on the upswing".

Yep, Evansville will again be a Thursday night team. Everyone got fooled, and I'm sure they'll save a "game of their lives" type effort to keep a Valley team out of the NCAA's. It's just what Evansville does.

Way to open up the new arena, Aces.

The first game in this series when UNC won the National Championship. UNC beat Michigan State in the title game by more than they beat UE by in the regular season. By your logic, that year, UE was obviously better than MSU.

Also, I expected better from a poster with comments on this board such as "I just don't need any other outside fans saying things in demeaning ways about a game in which we were Vegas underdogs in." "We know we sucked one. We don't need other fans telling us in condescending ways. State your opinions without being pricks is all I'm asking."

:+1:

Comparing scores is something grade school kids do. I guess by this logic, if WSU doesn't beat UE by 60 (since they beat UNLV which beat UNC) it should be looked upon as a failure or a black eye on their schedule.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » December 7th, 2011, 5:31 pm

havoc wrote:Bingo. This is something that the coaching staff at UE doesn't seem to feel the need to do. How a guy shoots 1-11 from the field and stil plays 32 minuets in a 50 point blowout is beyond me.

UE's coaches did better than usual rotating players in.

Everyone on the roster played at least 1 minute, and all the scholarship players saw at least 5 minutes. (That one player with 5 minutes was Matt Peeler, whose complete stat line was outstanding: 0 pts, 2 reb, 2 stl, 5 pf, 5 min.) Excepting the walk-ons and Peeler, everyone else played at least 9 minutes.

To quote Hubert Davis, when Peeler fouled out with 12 minutes left in the 2nd half: "And that's their starting center" :|
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Wufan » December 7th, 2011, 6:16 pm

No wonder Colt only had 9. Without Pehl in the game the Tardheels didn't have to pack it in to stop the Aces inside game.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » December 7th, 2011, 6:19 pm

To quote what every UNC fan was thinking after Colt's 1 for 11 performance "And thats their star". I actually seen on a North Carolina forum where they were talking about the Aces coach leaving Ryan in to pad his stats.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aces1982 » December 7th, 2011, 9:05 pm

acesfool wrote:To quote what every UNC fan was thinking after Colt's 1 for 11 performance "And thats their star". I actually seen on a North Carolina forum where they were talking about the Aces coach leaving Ryan in to pad his stats.

Could you please provide that link for us??
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace Dad » December 7th, 2011, 9:08 pm

A coach leaves his star player who is 0-4 hoping he will go to 1-5 then 2-6 then 3-7 and 4-8.

A coach leaves his star player who is 1-7 in, hoping he goes to 3-9.

Easy to Wednesday morning quarterback.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » December 7th, 2011, 10:00 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
havoc wrote:
The first game in this series when UNC won the National Championship. UNC beat Michigan State in the title game by more than they beat UE by in the regular season. By your logic, that year, UE was obviously better than MSU.

Also, I expected better from a poster with comments on this board such as "I just don't need any other outside fans saying things in demeaning ways about a game in which we were Vegas underdogs in." "We know we sucked one. We don't need other fans telling us in condescending ways. State your opinions without being pricks is all I'm asking."

:+1:

Comparing scores is something grade school kids do. I guess by this logic, if WSU doesn't beat UE by 60 (since they beat UNLV which beat UNC) it should be looked upon as a failure or a black eye on their schedule.

There's a bit of a difference in losing a game in OT and getting pasted by 50. I figured a genius like yourself would understand that I wasn't comparing scores. I showed whose company you were in blowout losses this year by UNC. After this game, this is the only comment you could comeback with? Not even a mention on how bad you made the Valley look on national tv? Not even a mention that you looked like a SWAC school out there? This by a supposedly "up and coming improved team"?

Lame.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Tom Servo » December 7th, 2011, 11:23 pm

Terrible, embarrassing no words can really describe it. However it is just one game, and I for one am glad we will not be playing them again. I actually agree with Baller, in saying that playing UNC this year did absolutely nothing to help the program. It probably drove a lot of fans on the fringe away from coming to a game in person this year. I'm just glad it's over, I had been dreading that game since we played them last year at the stadium.

The only two bright spots were Denver Holmes and Jaylon Moore. Holmes has actually played two really good games in a row. Hopefully he can keep it up.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball