Evansville at North Carolina (Tues, Dec 6)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville at North Carolina (Tues, Dec 6)

Postby pafan » December 6th, 2011, 11:09 pm

sixth ace wrote:Any Valley team who wants to schedule UNC , go ahead and we"ll watch.

I might be out on a limb here, but I think anybody in the league could go 0-3 in a series with Carolina. And now this is getting really shaky but, I suspect that the average margin of loss would be smaller than UE's 31.3 points over the series. :Violin:

Except Lowrey. But he won't be around in 2015 to finish the 4 year series, right?
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WSUbballer » December 6th, 2011, 11:33 pm

ACECARD wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:It won't be the Aces fault. It will be the fault of the team, or teams, that lose to them. It looks like the only way you are going to give the Aces any respect, is if they go 0-18.

I will certainly get on my team if they take the fall at Evansville, no doubt about it. But lest you forget, the conference was supposed to get together in the non-con, do their part, and help bring up the collective RPI. If a top-tier team takes a stumble at Evansville, and let's face it. Good teams do sometimes stumble at bottom feeders time to time in all levels of basketball. UNI lost at bottom feeder Indiana State in 2006 but still got an at-large. The top of the conference was really good but the bottom of the conference wasn't a big drag either. When a stumble occurs to a team that's hovering with a 250 RPI who just got pasted by 50 on national tv, the pundits and the committee will remember, hey that team just lost to a team that got completely dismantled to North Carolina by 50 in that game.

No one was asking for Evansville to win that game. But I don't think losing by less than 30, much less 40 was too much to ask either.

Again, Evansville just took the chin for the entire conference tonight. I'd probably reconsider playing UNC next time. I don't think it helped your program all that much. I don't think that's the kind of exposure you want. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » December 6th, 2011, 11:54 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:Evansville caught UNC at a bad time. They were coming off losing 2 out of 3, and a 1 point loss at Kentucky. It was bound to end like this.

I agree it was a bad time to play UNC . That being said it wasn't like UNC played out of their minds. I actually wasn't as impressed by the Heels like I thought I would be. It was pretty easy to see how UNLV beat them.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UE 71 » December 7th, 2011, 12:00 am

The margin had more to do with UE shooting 25% from the field and 6-27 threes. They would not have beaten UNC with better shooting, but the margin would have been different. On another night this changes. I would not be so confident when the Valley games start as some of the posters seem to be. UE will win its share of games and piss off fans of other teams.

At the end of the year no one on the selection committee will remember tonight's game. If a Valley team does not make the post season, it will be because what they did or did not accomplish. The tournament is about making money and those behind the scenes will be evaluating which team matchups will pack the seats and bring the highest TV ratings. Otherwise, why would there need to be a seed the tournament.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby acesfool » December 7th, 2011, 12:01 am

sixth ace wrote:Any Valley team who wants to schedule UNC , go ahead and we"ll watch. In the meantime have a fun time bashing Evansville You all will come to Evansville and we don't forget

Unfortunately UE fans do forget. For one thing most of them are 80+ years old and how else do you explain how Marty keeps his job each year.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » December 7th, 2011, 12:16 am

For anyone that thinks Colt pads his stats in garbage time, he only got 9 after the game was out of reach.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » December 7th, 2011, 8:38 am

Sounds like the game was out of reach as soon as the ball was tossed to start the game :Cheers:
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby havoc » December 7th, 2011, 8:39 am

WSUbballer wrote:List of schools this year that lost to UNC by less than tonight's margin:

UNC-Asheville (16 points)
Mississippi Valley State (26 points)
Tennessee State (33 points)

And then there's the 49 point shellacking that wasn't even in the same ballpark. A SWAC school nearly had twice a closer margin than a Valley team that was supposedly "on the upswing".

Yep, Evansville will again be a Thursday night team. Everyone got fooled, and I'm sure they'll save a "game of their lives" type effort to keep a Valley team out of the NCAA's. It's just what Evansville does.

Way to open up the new arena, Aces.

The first game in this series when UNC won the National Championship. UNC beat Michigan State in the title game by more than they beat UE by in the regular season. By your logic, that year, UE was obviously better than MSU.

Also, I expected better from a poster with comments on this board such as "I just don't need any other outside fans saying things in demeaning ways about a game in which we were Vegas underdogs in." "We know we sucked one. We don't need other fans telling us in condescending ways. State your opinions without being pricks is all I'm asking."
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby NeutralObserver » December 7th, 2011, 10:37 am

Wufan wrote:For anyone that thinks Colt pads his stats in garbage time, he only got 9 after the game was out of reach.

It wasn't because he wasn't trying to. Still in the game against 4th string players with 4 minutes to go trying to shoot and finally making ONE basket. He is a stats stuffer when the game is on the way to being a loss everytime, but UNC would not make it be easy for him and you see the result.
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UE 71 » December 7th, 2011, 12:26 pm

NeutralObserver wrote:
Wufan wrote:For anyone that thinks Colt pads his stats in garbage time, he only got 9 after the game was out of reach.

It wasn't because he wasn't trying to. Still in the game against 4th string players with 4 minutes to go trying to shoot and finally making ONE basket. He is a stats stuffer when the game is on the way to being a loss everytime, but UNC would not make it be easy for him and you see the result.

By your logic (and others), there is no need to continue to run your offense and try to score once the game result has been determined or out of hand. By this logic the team should simply walk off the court and declare the game over. Such a sophomoric point of view.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball