Iowa vs Northern Iowa - 7pm Tuesday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Iowa vs Northern Iowa - 7pm Tuesday

Postby SubGod22 » December 7th, 2011, 9:23 am

And I noticed all comments and ratings have been disabled. Apparently the person who put this together knows they're full of crap
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 7th, 2011, 9:49 am

mecha_bulldog wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9q1LE7fsjE

Someone took the time to create a youtube video with every single foul on Iowa. I have to admit, the officiating looks pretty one-sided when you show nothing but fouls on one team :D The technicals start at 4:25.

Well, the technical fouls all look legit. Some of those charging fouls however.....

What is it with Big 10 coaches storming down officials? Doc Sadler at Nebraska did the same thing in the Creighton game. The difference, of course, is that Sadler actually seemed shocked that doing so would garner a technical (of course, he's a moron), while McCaffrey knew it was coming.

My problem with Janssen as an official is twofold:
(1) He seems to anticipate more calls than most other officials; and
(2) He seems especially willing to do a "makeup call" (perhaps due to the mistakes encountered by doing #1 above), which only encourages coaches to complain more.

I know he gets decent grades by coaches, but I truly believe that has to due with the coaches' belief that they can work him for calls. Both under Altman and McDermott, I've seen Janssen get talked into changing calls that were clearly right or immediately call a phantom foul after being talked to by a coach.

I know reffing is a really hard gig, especially in front of large, hostile crowds. That doesn't mean that one has to be a ref to judge them, nor does it mean that there can't be bad refs. Of the refs that do Creighton/Valley games the most, regardless of whether my Jays blew out the opponent or got blown out, I always feel the most frustrated when Janssen or Gerry Pollard call games.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » December 7th, 2011, 9:52 am

Hawkeye fans are in full melt-down over this game... It's hilarious. I live and work in Iowa City, and of course I'm rubbing some noses in it today. I really wish WSU, MSU, and others could do the same.

The myth has always been that the state mandates the 4 Iowa schools play. If they try to get out of it, I hope the state does get involved... The in-state games have been really entertaining the last few years, and from the Hawkeye's perspective, about the only non-conference games people show up to in Carver-Hawkeye Arena anymore.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 7th, 2011, 10:22 am

Did anyone spot the fail he pointed out while the RPI rankings were on the screen?
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » December 7th, 2011, 10:43 am

UNI definitely pulled off some flops in that game, but over all, the calls were pretty legit. A number of them were just stupid fouls by Iowa being way overly aggressive.

I tend to believe that Janssen officiates up or down to who he's working with sometimes. I will say he does seem to have more inconsistencies from game to game with how it's called and it's not unheard of to let your partners effect you. I'd think working with Higgins would be a good thing for him. I'm not all that familiar with the third official. But I'm cool with Janssen as long as he's not the lead official on the crew.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby strike00 » December 7th, 2011, 10:47 am

yeah, I think most Panther fans admit a couple of the charge calls were iffy at best, but the vast majority of calls were legit. Iowa lost all discipline last night.
strike00
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 7th, 2011, 10:55 am

A few of those charges were a little questionable, and from game to game get called a little differently. What it doesn't show is the ticky tack calls on UNI in the first half. I thought the first half was officiated very well. They were calling it tight, but it was going both ways. The only few questionable calls I saw were when Gatens fell and got called for a foul, when McCabe was called for traveling and I thought Johnny was bumping him, and maybe when Basabe was called for a foul, and Pehl had pushed him down. The last one should have been a double foul. All of the technicals were warranted, and Fran probably could have been kicked out sooner than he was. McCabe definitely deserved his tech too. I can see where they would be frustrated, but Fran needs to control himself better.

He now has 3 total Techs in 2 games in the McLeod. He must really not like our arena. Lest Iowa fans forget last year they attempted 23 free throws last year to the 8 we attempted. There was a 19 -10 foul differential last year in favor of Iowa. This year there was a 24-15 in our favor. Seems very similar to me.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » December 7th, 2011, 11:32 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:A few of those charges were a little questionable, and from game to game get called a little differently. What it doesn't show is the ticky tack calls on UNI in the first half. I thought the first half was officiated very well. They were calling it tight, but it was going both ways. The only few questionable calls I saw were when Gatens fell and got called for a foul, when McCabe was called for traveling and I thought Johnny was bumping him, and maybe when Basabe was called for a foul, and Pehl had pushed him down. The last one should have been a double foul. All of the technicals were warranted, and Fran probably could have been kicked out sooner than he was. McCabe definitely deserved his tech too. I can see where they would be frustrated, but Fran needs to control himself better.

He now has 3 total Techs in 2 games in the McLeod. He must really not like our arena. Lest Iowa fans forget last year they attempted 23 free throws last year to the 8 we attempted. There was a 19 -10 foul differential last year in favor of Iowa. This year there was a 24-15 in our favor. Seems very similar to me.

This is what started the whole mess I think from Psycho Coach's perspective, it was Marble, not Basabe, who got 'pushed' down- and I disagree with that assessment of the play. But that was the play that got it started. Psycho wanted a foul on Pehl for a flagrant foul and the refs called the foul on Marble. Interesting that that was not included in the whole youtube clip compilation... Probably because it was the right call.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » December 7th, 2011, 11:34 am

This game was a very difficult game to officiate. Two teams with completely contrasting styles, one team has been really struggling and the other very hot. That kind of game just never develops a natural "flow." On top of that, one team with a psychopath for a head coach. It's no wonder they assigned a veteran crew for the game. No matter who ends up officiating that contest, there would be criticism that they had to insert themselves into the game.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » December 7th, 2011, 11:58 am

The fallout of this game has been incredibly entertaining. The whining, crying, and the conspiracy theories by Iowa fans has been astonishing. Absolutely great stuff.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball