Iowa vs Northern Iowa - 7pm Tuesday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Iowa vs Northern Iowa - 7pm Tuesday

Postby mecha_bulldog » December 7th, 2011, 1:18 pm

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/bask ... fouls.html

There's a link to an Iowa board discussing the foul compilation video. They seem to think this video proves the refs were biased and/or incompetent. It's hilarious watching football fans try to understand basketball rules.
mecha_bulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » December 7th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Wow... Sounds like our home and home series with Iowa and Iowa State really might be on death's door. I have NO interest in going to a Big 4 Event in Des Moines. Our AD should send them a contract renewal and leave it at that.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... with-poll-

They whine about fitting the games in when going to 18 conference games and having a conference challenge... Hello? We've been dealing with that and still manage to put together a balanced non-conference schedule without too much trouble.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby LanceShock » December 7th, 2011, 2:34 pm

That will be a loss for the Valley as a whole if the BCS Iowa schools stop playing the Valley Iowa schools. Sullentrop put up a blog post a while where he pointed out that the Valley has gotten more at large bids when Iowa and Iowa State have done well. It will be hard to get equivalent games if those series end.

http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/2011 ... owa-thing/
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » December 7th, 2011, 2:49 pm

I like this comment, maybe because I'm an official and know how wrong his definition is
So many ticky tacky calls i almost threw up. But what i consider to be the biggest crime was the charging fouls. Not only do the UNI players not know how to take a chrge properly, but the refs also don't recognize a legit charge. A charge is defined as an offensive foul which occurs when an offensive player runs into a defender who has established position. An established position is defined as when a defensive player has both feet firmly planted on the floor. After going through and watching this video 3 times, i found only one instance that meets the criteria of a charging foul as defined by the NCAA. All of the players who got charges were either not established or moving in front of the offensive player.
Nowhere in the rules does it say that you can't be moving. You have to have established a legal guarding position before the contact, but you're free to legally move after that. Hell, you can jump straight up and if the offensive player jumps into you it can be a charge, though you hardly see that and so many times officials call a defensive foul anyway.

Wonder what other great ones are on there.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mecha_bulldog » December 7th, 2011, 3:43 pm

unipanther99 wrote:Wow... Sounds like our home and home series with Iowa and Iowa State really might be on death's door. I have NO interest in going to a Big 4 Event in Des Moines. Our AD should send them a contract renewal and leave it at that.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... with-poll-

They whine about fitting the games in when going to 18 conference games and having a conference challenge... Hello? We've been dealing with that and still manage to put together a balanced non-conference schedule without too much trouble.

Financially, it makes absolutely no sense to move these games to Wells Fargo Arena. After paying for the arena and splitting the proceeds four ways, all four schools would make less money than they would playing home games in the current series. Plus considering how much tickets would cost for an event like that, and the attendance struggles at all four schools, the event would have far less attendance than I think ISU and Iowa fans think it would.
mecha_bulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MVCfans » December 7th, 2011, 3:46 pm

Iowa and Iowa State refusing to play at Drake and Northern Iowa is weak.

My take: Take your ball home and hide, Iowa and Iowa state
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball