Big East to Add New Members

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Big East to Add New Members

Postby SubGod22 » December 6th, 2011, 4:15 pm

I forgot that they're all private schools. Looks like the BWC is nothing but California schools right now, with Hawaii being added for nonfootball. SDSU appears to be taking a large step down in basketball to attach itself to the Big East. I'm still not sold on the Big East remaining an auto qualifier or a conference for that matter. Perhaps someone like SDSU looks to improve their status while the conference is around in hopes of the Pac 12 looking to them in the future? I know Boise is in a tough spot as the PAC wants nothing to do with them and the B12 has been saying it'll remain at 10. I do think the B12 will move back to 12 in the near future.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » December 6th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Yeah, the SDSU board is worried cause the Big West is a HORRIBLE decline from the MWC. The WCC doesn't want SDSU cause they are all small private religious schools. Football reigns...
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:7+9= 16

CUSA and MWC merge to form their 16 team conference...

The travel would be absolutely brutal but that would make a conference composed of.

East Carolina
Marshall
Memphis (amazed they didn't get an invite over SDSU, but i guess boise needs a partner)
Rice
Southern Miss
Tulane
Tulsa
UAB
UTEP
Air Force
Colorado St.
New Mexico
UNLV
Wyoming
Fresno St.
Nevada

.....that would span the U.S. worse than what the Big East is doing now Unless they split into divisions and only played a couple games accross them.

I can see MWC going after Utah St. now and maybe Hawaii. The WAC could end up dissappearing.

The travel for the Big East wouldn't be brutal? Travel seems to be the least of concerns for these conferences.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » December 6th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Could the Mountain West end up folding altogether with its members dispersed among CUSA, WAC, and the Big West? The Big East (and XII) have carved out the heart of the MWC... keeping in mind that they are not really a football conference any more.

The members of the conference as they played this year:
Air Force - rumored to be interested in joining Big East
Boise State - rumored to be joining Big East
Colorado State
New Mexico
San Diego St - rumored to be joining Big East
TCU - committed to joining Big XII
UNLV
Wyoming

The 2013 conference would be:
Fresno St
Colorado State
New Mexico
Nevada (Reno)
UNLV
Wyoming

Is that roster of schools good enough to continue to exist? What if Fresno St and Nevada decide to stay in the WAC? Would a complete merger of the WAC and the MWC make sense at this point?
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball