OK State @ MSU Dec 7 @ 8 PM on ESPNU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: OK State @ MSU Dec 7 @ 8 PM on ESPNU

Postby glm38 » December 7th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Definitely time to admit we just aren't as good as we looked those first few games. I still think we finish top half in the Valley but not in top 3.

I'm most disappointed in our offense. It seems like we just can't hit open shots or make plays especially in crunch time.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » December 8th, 2011, 8:04 am

Not a good loss any way you look at it. But all hope isn't lost for an at large. We should coast in the next three ballgames and should be able to handle a mediocre Big Least team in West Virginia. Sait Mary's has a good RPI but I looked at their schedule and they'll be playing something like 6 games in ten days with the last game against Missouri State. They should be worn out by then. 9-3 in the non-conference plus a win in bracket busters would get us to 10-3. If we can finish top 3 in the Valley then we should be in the discussion again.

Specifically last night we played awful at the end. But I am getting sick of the disparity in FTs that are opponents shoot. The refs didn't directly cost us the game last night but the last three games they have put us at a competitive disadvantage and that is frustrating. Not using that as an excuse though. Glad we have Lusk on the sideline over that lunatic Ford. They may have won last night, but that man is crazy and has a foul mouth too.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUBear42 » December 8th, 2011, 8:20 am

Over the last three games, MSU opponents have shot ONE HUNDRED AND THREE free throws. That's sickening.
MSUBear42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 8th, 2011, 8:31 am

I watched the entire game. At no time did I think MSU was getting screwed by the refs. Get over the delusions Bear fans. The NCAA selection committee may be out to get you, but the refs last night were not.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 8th, 2011, 8:33 am

MSUBear42 wrote:Over the last three games, MSU opponents have shot ONE HUNDRED AND THREE free throws. That's sickening.

IT is because on the defensive end, MSU fouls A LOT. Eaither laziness or slow feet, but too often last night, the defender was out of position and had to clutch, bump, grab or foul in some other way to try to keep the offensive player from scoring.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TNMSUFAN » December 8th, 2011, 8:36 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
MSUBear42 wrote:Over the last three games, MSU opponents have shot ONE HUNDRED AND THREE free throws. That's sickening.

IT is because on the defensive end, MSU fouls A LOT. Eaither laziness or slow feet, but too often last night, the defender was out of position and had to clutch, bump, grab or foul in some other way to try to keep the offensive player from scoring.

We foul a lot and most are just stupid reach in fouls. Also, on the other end we aren't aggressive enough at times attacking to get the foul call. Refs were very inconsistent but I never play the ref card...you have to win games at home regardless.
TNMSUFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 8th, 2011, 8:52 am

TNMSUFAN wrote:Refs were very inconsistent but I never play the ref card...you have to win games at home regardless.

That always seems to be the case where Gerry Pollard or Paul Janssen are working the game, let alone both of them.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby NeutralObserver » December 8th, 2011, 8:54 am

Unfortunately for the Bears, that is the Bear's team I expected to see this season. Earlier posts in this thread all about Weems getting untracked. He got untracked and Missouri State becomes a one-man team. Anyone that didn't expect that would happen? Won't win many conference games with that style of play.......8-10 maybe ?
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby troutangler » December 8th, 2011, 2:20 pm

NeutralObserver wrote:Unfortunately for the Bears, that is the Bear's team I expected to see this season. Earlier posts in this thread all about Weems getting untracked. He got untracked and Missouri State becomes a one-man team. Anyone that didn't expect that would happen? Won't win many conference games with that style of play.......8-10 maybe ?

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat. This is about how I expected us to look before the season started. About a 5th, maybe 4th place team at best. Those first couple of games got everyone's hopes up. We need to just develop team chemistry and hope for a hot streak in St. Louis, because I don't see us beating WVU and SMC.

We are sorely lacking at the 5 and our 2's can't score. Gulley and Weems are good, but put better athletes on them and the other guys can't fill the void.

If Corey Copeland is such a natural scorer, can one of the other MSU fans explain why he isn't even sniffing the court when we look as bad as we did last night? Everyone claimed he would get a lot of minutes before the season. And Corbin Thomas was described by some as our best new player at the Courts this summer. What happened?
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby WSUbballer » December 8th, 2011, 10:57 pm

Stop fouling.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball