Official MVCfans.com Prediction - 4th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 4th place during the 2010-2011 MVC mens basketball season?

Creighton
25%
Missouri State
13%
Northern Iowa
49%
Wichita State
13%

Total votes : 63

Re: Official MVCfans.com Prediction - 4th Place

Postby beatingrillz » September 23rd, 2010, 9:00 pm

it looks more like wsu is the one with the seperation not saying anything more than that.
beatingrillz
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WuDrWu » September 24th, 2010, 6:02 am

valleychamp wrote:Lol at Moran not being able to defend freaking Ethan Wragge. He is one of our more versatile defenders, and often defends 6'7 wing players. Moran guarded Xavier Henry in the KU game, and did a heck of a job.

UNI has played fantastic team defense under BJ. that has always been the great equalizer for us. You can argue all you want about individual matchups (and we do not match up with a lot of teams individually), but if we are holding teams to >60 points, we are going to win most of those games.

Its no doubt that CU probably has the best big men in the league this year, but I think their guard play is average at best. Who is going to score?

No offense, but you aren't that sharp. Now you are saying Moran can stop Henry. Immediately back away from the bong water.

Yes, IF you are holding teams to under 60 points, you're going to win a lot of games. NO, you aren't going to do that without the big senior talent you had last year. You don't get the game of basketball, but that's ok.

You've got to stop looking at one game (admittedly, 1 gorgeous game) against KU and projecting every positive from that game onto the future of UNI athletics.

I hope you are capable of understanding without Koch, OWI and Farokmadenijiad the final score of that game is somewhere in the 126-12 range.

Look, UNI will still be solid, well coached, disciplined and play as a team. They will win more games than they will lose in all likelihood. If the freshman talent is better than everyone thinks it is, and they are ready to be 1st or 2nd team type players, then perhaps they will challenge for the top of the Valley. As I said before, this result would be more than surprising.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby unipanther99 » September 24th, 2010, 6:42 am

With all do respect, Moran has proven himself to be one of our best lock down defenders over the past couple of years, not just for the Kansas game (by the way, no Panther fan was really even talking about that game until you brought it up).

I'm far more worried about offensive production out of our guys than our ability to play D.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby WuDrWu » September 24th, 2010, 9:45 am

I will give you your "due" respect......

I am not saying Moran isn't a good defender. I am saying the success of the team defense is as much (I am saying more) a factor of the size, strength, experience and width of (especially) the 2 bigs that graduated.

Do you not understand that Moran can play "up" and Kujo can take more chances when there is a 7' beast waiting in the lane and without that deterrent they might find the same defense not as successful?

Where as the guards didn't have to help much on D with the bigs, they are going to have a lot more this year. A LOT more. That can affect the quality of shots the other team takes. More open shots, more makes. More makes, more points. More points, more losses.

As I said, if the new guys are as good as the 3 that left, then UNI is in fine shape. That would be unusual to see youngsters that strong but perhaps you guys are just that good.
THE VALLEY RULES! GO VALLEY!
WuDrWu
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » September 24th, 2010, 11:27 am

WuDrWu wrote:I will give you your "due" respect......

I am not saying Moran isn't a good defender. I am saying the success of the team defense is as much (I am saying more) a factor of the size, strength, experience and width of (especially) the 2 bigs that graduated.

Do you not understand that Moran can play "up" and Kujo can take more chances when there is a 7' beast waiting in the lane and without that deterrent they might find the same defense not as successful?

Where as the guards didn't have to help much on D with the bigs, they are going to have a lot more this year. A LOT more. That can affect the quality of shots the other team takes. More open shots, more makes. More makes, more points. More points, more losses.

As I said, if the new guys are as good as the 3 that left, then UNI is in fine shape. That would be unusual to see youngsters that strong but perhaps you guys are just that good.

I think you are missing a big part of UNI. It's not just the Johnny's and the Joe's, it's not just the X's and O's, it's more. UNI succeeds because the coaches foster a team attitude, where confidence breeds confidence and unselfish perseverence trumps individual valor. It is a system that has been installed systematically to nurture each individual on the team and have them raise their level of play with a can do attitude, all for the betterment of the program. WHen the program wins, the players win. From the athletic director, to the coach, to the players and all the way to the student trainer, everyone is on the same page ensuring excellent results. Going forward, UNI will be inpactful and impressive on the court. While it is not about individuals, it is all about individuals coming together breeding synergy and results.

Now do you understand?
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » September 24th, 2010, 11:52 am

MVJ, you make good team play sound almost... Communist. :shock:
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby hot nuts » September 24th, 2010, 12:23 pm

[quote="MoValley John
I think you are missing a big part of UNI. It's not just the Johnny's and the Joe's, it's not just the X's and O's, it's more. UNI succeeds because the coaches foster a team attitude, where confidence breeds confidence and unselfish perseverence trumps individual valor. It is a system that has been installed systematically to nurture each individual on the team and have them raise their level of play with a can do attitude, all for the betterment of the program. WHen the program wins, the players win. From the athletic director, to the coach, to the players and all the way to the student trainer, everyone is on the same page ensuring excellent results. Going forward, UNI will be inpactful and impressive on the court. While it is not about individuals, it is all about individuals coming together breeding synergy and results.

Now do you understand?[/quote]

Hmmmm...you sound like a politician, makes me nervous. Starting to think I should have voted UNI way further down the list.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » September 24th, 2010, 12:34 pm

WuDrWu wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Lol at Moran not being able to defend freaking Ethan Wragge. He is one of our more versatile defenders, and often defends 6'7 wing players. Moran guarded Xavier Henry in the KU game, and did a heck of a job.

UNI has played fantastic team defense under BJ. that has always been the great equalizer for us. You can argue all you want about individual matchups (and we do not match up with a lot of teams individually), but if we are holding teams to >60 points, we are going to win most of those games.

Its no doubt that CU probably has the best big men in the league this year, but I think their guard play is average at best. Who is going to score?

No offense, but you aren't that sharp. Now you are saying Moran can stop Henry. Immediately back away from the bong water.

Yes, IF you are holding teams to under 60 points, you're going to win a lot of games. NO, you aren't going to do that without the big senior talent you had last year. You don't get the game of basketball, but that's ok.

You've got to stop looking at one game (admittedly, 1 gorgeous game) against KU and projecting every positive from that game onto the future of UNI athletics.

I hope you are capable of understanding without Koch, OWI and Farokmadenijiad the final score of that game is somewhere in the 126-12 range.

Look, UNI will still be solid, well coached, disciplined and play as a team. They will win more games than they will lose in all likelihood. If the freshman talent is better than everyone thinks it is, and they are ready to be 1st or 2nd team type players, then perhaps they will challenge for the top of the Valley. As I said before, this result would be more than surprising.

I don't think you quite comprehend what UNI fans are saying. I haven't seen anyone say we are going to be as good as last year, or the year before. I think almost every UNI fan has predicted them to finish in that 2nd-5th range, which is on par with most everybody else's opinions. We aren't going to win 30 games. And making the NCAA tournament is at the absolute high end of our capability for next year.

Once again, you are the only one talking about the KU game. (KU complex, like I said..). I was just pointing out that Moran did a great job defensively against one of the best players in the country. Because, well, you seem to believe that Ethan Wragge is going to light him up. His name is Ethan for christ sakes! :lol: We often put Moran on the opposing teams best player, and he usually always does a great job.

With or without that KU game, we had a fantastic season. You seem to be the only one that thinks we are predicting our entire athletic future based on that one day.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » September 24th, 2010, 8:06 pm

The team predicted to finish in 4th place - Northern Iowa.

I will open the voting for 3rd place on Sunday, September 26.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball