Iowa Big 4 in jeopardy

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Iowa Big 4 in jeopardy

Postby davidfast » December 7th, 2011, 3:44 pm

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/12/06/dannen-uni-hoops-future-with-iowa-iowa-state-cloudy-big-four-event-coming/

A local radio show on KXNO started talking about this as well.

I find this hilarious "Oh we have to play more games now in our conference"

So they are talking about a big 4 tourney at Wells Fargo Arena where Iowa would play UNI or Drake and ISU would play the other team. Iowa and Iowa State would then not play the team that said team did not play. According to the "expert" on the radio show Iowa and ISU would still play once a year....So in essence this will eliminate ONE game for the year........

Isn't playing MVC teams on a yearly home and home schedule a better test than some DII school or bottom DI school every year.......unreal.
davidfast
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Iowa Big 4 in jeopardy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Iowa Big 4 in jeopardy

Postby MVCfans » December 7th, 2011, 3:49 pm

There has been some discussion of this in the UNI-Iowa game thread, but it probably does deserve it's own thread. It's hard to believe these series could end.

My take: Take your ball home and hide, Iowa and Iowa state
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby bigdawg » December 7th, 2011, 4:05 pm

What a bunch of pu----s.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jet915 » December 7th, 2011, 4:39 pm

They are tired of getting embarassed...
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » December 7th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Granted, it's not as good as a deal as UNI/Drake have now, it's still a pretty good deal and better than what most mid-majors have against in-state BCS teams. I'd say just about any other Valley team would jump at the opportunity to play a big in state school every year on a neutral court.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Trapped in CA » December 7th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Given that proposed setup, UNI & Drake would be better off finding other games. Iowa is in the bottom 10% on SOS. UNI's SOS drop 30 places on sagarin rating after beating Iowa by 20. This is nothing more than spite.

Trapped in CA
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DUBulldog » December 7th, 2011, 6:13 pm

If nothing else, this should be death the Internet Myth That Will Not Die.....i.e. the myth that there is some kind of state legislation in Iowa that mandates these games.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glm38 » December 7th, 2011, 6:56 pm

DUBulldog wrote:If nothing else, this should be death the Internet Myth That Will Not Die.....i.e. the myth that there is some kind of state legislation in Iowa that mandates these games.

I always thought that was the case? Just a myth though? That's interesting. I didn't think a Big 12 school would ever willingly play a home and home against an in state school from a smaller conference. We've been after MU for years with no success.
Last edited by glm38 on December 8th, 2011, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 7th, 2011, 8:27 pm

glm38 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:If nothing else, this should be death the Internet Myth That Will Not Die.....i.e. the myth that there is some kind of state legislation in Iowa that mandates these games.

I always thought that was the case? Just a myth though? That's interesting. I didn't think a Big 12 school would ever willingly play a home and home against an in state school from a smaller conference. We've been after MSU for years with no success.

Nebraska does it with Creighton too.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » December 7th, 2011, 8:49 pm

glm38 wrote:

I always thought that was the case? Just a myth though? That's interesting. I didn't think a Big 12 school would ever willingly play a home and home against an in state school from a smaller conference. We've been after MSU for years with no success.

Not surprising. This myth has been perpetuated for so long, and by so many "reputable" sources, that it's taken on a life of his own.

Iowa State and Iowa used to play Drake twice a year (home and home) until the late 70s. Drake is the opponent that Iowa State has faced more than any other.....170+ games between the two teams.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball