Updated RPIs - December 10. 2011

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Updated RPIs - December 10. 2011

Postby Khan4Cats » December 11th, 2011, 2:34 pm

valleychamp wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Beat Ohio next week to get to 12-1, then they will definitely crack the poll.

Wanna put some money down on that?

I believe that would only get them to 11-1, but without any eye-popping victories, there is no way a team with only 1 vote this week is going to "definitely crack the poll" in two week's time with a win over Ohio.

Win out through the Creighton game and then you will "definitely" have a case.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we weren't in the poll at 12-1, with wins @ODU, @Iowa State, Iowa, Milwaukee, Providence, Rice, and Ohio. Thats a really solid non-conf resume.

Like I said, It will be interesting to see how many votes we end up this week. But I'd be surprised if we were not ranked next week if we are able to beat a really good Ohio team. That is certainly worthy of top 25, IMO.

Deserving of and receiving votes are two different animals. The only hope UNI has to jump in quickly is if there are poll voters who simply look to see who is at the top of different conferences and vote for those teams. With Creighton's loss, UNI jumps to the top of a lot of lists now based on RPI and W/L pct with no conference games. Still don't think we move that far up as we are coming from completely off the radar. I am not sure that winning out until the week of the Creighton game will even be enough to crack the actual top 25.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WSUbballer » December 11th, 2011, 2:42 pm

valleychamp wrote:I'd be pretty disappointed if we weren't in the poll at 12-1, with wins @ODU, @Iowa State, Iowa, Milwaukee, Providence, Rice, and Ohio. Thats a really solid non-conf resume.

Like I said, It will be interesting to see how many votes we end up this week. But I'd be surprised if we were not ranked next week if we are able to beat a really good Ohio team. That is certainly worthy of top 25, IMO.

Please remember that there are about 30-35 teams positioned in front of UNI at the moment. Just because UNI wins games, doesn't mean others are not. You must first understand how poll mechanics work before stating things like "they'll definitely crack the polls" after a win over Ohio.

The best team on your schedule was a big loss. ODU and Milwaukee are ok, but again not "eye-popping", at least to anyone nationally. I wouldn't really brag about the Iowa schools. Iowa is extremely bad and Iowa State is disappointing at the very least. Rice really isn't that good either.

UNI has gone on quite a streak. They have played solid, but let's not go off the handle. If anything, WSU has a more legitimate Top 25 resume than UNI and I'm not even thinking about WSU being Top 25-worthy at the moment.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » December 11th, 2011, 2:59 pm

When was the last time the MVC had two teams in the top 25? If UNI is able to crack the top 25 in the next couple weeks and Creighton can hold on to their ranking, it will be huge for the Valley's national reputation heading into conference play.

It will be interesting to see how many votes UNI gets tomorrow after a dominating 20 point win over a big ten team and a solid 16 point win over a (then) 8-1 UWM team. Creighton went from 19 votes to 48 votes after beating Iowa by 23 and a terrible UAB team by 10 in week 3.

Some key wins by UNI non-conf opponents over the next few weeks will help. UWM plays #16 Wisc on 12/13 and #11 Marquette on 12/22. St Mary's plays #7 Baylor on 12/22. Rice plays #25 Texas A&M on 12/22. ODU plays #10 Mizzou on 12/30. Northern Colorado plays #11 Marquette on 12/17. All UNI needs is one or two of these games to go our way.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jet915 » December 11th, 2011, 3:13 pm

My guess would be 10-12 votes, Top 25 by the time they play at Creighton if they get to 15-1. Hopefully Creighton will still be top 25 by then.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby achrist70 » December 11th, 2011, 4:13 pm

I am sure that Coach Jacobson is more concerned with winning games than being ranked.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » December 11th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Things are set up, with the way UNI is playing right now, to be 15-1 (14-1 in RPI games) heading into the CU game....should be interesting to see how it shakes out
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 11th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Things are shaping up to be a nice four team race with Drake and MSU lying in wait! Finish taking care of business in the non-con and it should be a fun Valley season!!! :dance:
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 11th, 2011, 6:42 pm

There is really no reason at all to be talking about being ranked. There is even less reason to be looking so far ahead to be 15-1 going into the Creighton game. I mean we have so many tough games before that. Ohio only has 1 loss to this point. Would have to play ISUr, Evansville, ISUb, and Drake. This is no easy task.

I like where we are sitting, and I really like how our team is playing. There is no reason to look to far ahead. Remember the thread with InSU fans talking about being undefeated until playing Vandy? Taking it one game at a time is important even for fans.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kyle » December 11th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Dude, why do you think message boards exist? For all I care, fans can speculate about anything and everything. It makes literally no impact on the team's performance.

And there is actually a lot of reasons to be talking about being ranked. One big one iswe are already getting votes.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » December 11th, 2011, 8:49 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:Taking it one game at a time is important even for fans.

Why?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball