First Row

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

First Row

Postby denjayfan1 » December 11th, 2011, 1:42 pm

I was watching the Creighton vs. St. Joes game via First Row and am pretty sure I got hit with a virus from that website. I couldn't finish the game as my screen became overrun with pop-ups and my malware/virus control software had been hijaked by it. It was called Vista 2012 Internet Security virus. Luckily there were easy directions to follow in order to clean it up from bleepingcomputer.com. Just wanted to let you know to be careful with that site.
denjayfan1
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

First Row

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: First Row

Postby MVCfans » December 11th, 2011, 1:52 pm

denjayfan1 wrote:I was watching the Creighton vs. St. Joes game via First Row and am pretty sure I got hit with a virus from that website. I couldn't finish the game as my screen became overrun with pop-ups and my malware/virus control software had been hijaked by it. It was called Vista 2012 Internet Security virus. Luckily there were easy directions to follow in order to clean it up from bleepingcomputer.com. Just wanted to let you know to be careful with that site.

Thanks - I've not encountered any problems with it, but I suppose anything is possible. Try to avoid clicking on the Busty Russians link and maybe you'll be okay in the future :D
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby denjayfan1 » December 11th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Haha!
denjayfan1
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jet915 » December 11th, 2011, 2:00 pm

Yeah, firstrow is awesome, haven't had any problems with it yet, but thanks for the heads up. Too bad the SIU game isn't working right now, it sure sounds like a barnburner!
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » December 11th, 2011, 4:06 pm

A couple ways to avoid problems like that are AdBlockPlus, StopScript (Called different things depending which browser you are using), Avast, etc....

I've not had problems with the site, but my interaction with it has been fairly limited as well.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » December 12th, 2011, 8:37 am

Use a Mac and those PC viruses shouldn't be an issue. ;)
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Sycamore_DevilDog » December 12th, 2011, 9:11 am

BirdmanBB wrote:Use a Mac and those PC viruses shouldn't be an issue. ;)

I have a MacBook Pro, but I haven't been able to download FirstRow. When following the instructions i get a page full of what is "computer script" or whatever it is......got any suggestions on how to successfully get FirstRow on my Mac?
A U.S. Marine: No better friend, no worse enemy.
Sycamore_DevilDog
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » December 12th, 2011, 9:20 am

Sycamore_DevilDog wrote:
BirdmanBB wrote:Use a Mac and those PC viruses shouldn't be an issue. ;)

I have a MacBook Pro, but I haven't been able to download FirstRow. When following the instructions i get a page full of what is "computer script" or whatever it is......got any suggestions on how to successfully get FirstRow on my Mac?

I just have a regular macbook. I never actually downloaded anything as those video programs apply to PC computers and would have no use for a mac (unless you are running windows through bootcamp software). I did find that when you click on the game you want to watch, it will somewhat play in the background, but will ask you to download their player first. I just close that box out and am able to watch any game perfectly fine. You do get the occasional pop-up add over the game, but it closes out after 20 seconds or so. I imagine that's the case for everyone though.

Not sure if that helps you, but that's what has been working for me.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » December 12th, 2011, 10:16 am

I run Avast AV. It's good at letting me know about dangerous web pages. I've never had a warning or any indication of a potential problem at FirstRow, but...

....it's REALLY easy to accidentally click on the ads that keep popping up over the video stream. Some of the ads are well-designed to disguise the little "X" in the upper-right corner that closes them. Until I learned where to look for the "X", I ended up on a download page for something called "LividPro" or something like that- maybe LVivid - I don't really recall. You do not need to download that to watch the games.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Sycamore_DevilDog » December 12th, 2011, 3:27 pm

BirdmanBB/aargh, thanks guys for your suggestions re:FirstRow on Mac......I'll try your suggestions.
A U.S. Marine: No better friend, no worse enemy.
Sycamore_DevilDog
MVC starter
MVC starter

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball